2nd order system of linear DE through matrix methods

In summary, RGV found a way to solve a 2nd order and a first order system of equations using standard substitution and differentiation.
iqjump123

Homework Statement

obtain the solution of the coupled system of equations
d2X1+2X1=X2
d2X2+2X2=X1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I envisioned encountering this equation using matrix methods, as outlined in this website, since it was much easier than substitution, differentiation, etc:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/SystemsDE.aspx

However, unlike the method shown in the webpage above, my equation it is a 2nd order DE. Therefore, can I follow the steps exactly as outlined in this example involving only a first order system of DE?

If that is the case, then can I use the same method for the system of DE I wrote below?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=517819
This problem is a little bit more different, because it contains a 2nd order AND a first order DE .

Thanks for the continued support!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me clean that up for you:

[itex]d^2x_1+2x_1=x_2[/itex]
[itex]d^2x_2+2x_2=x_1[/itex]

iqjump123 said:

Homework Statement

obtain the solution of the coupled system of equations
d2X1+2X1=X2
d2X2+2X2=X1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I envisioned encountering this equation using matrix methods, as outlined in this website, since it was much easier than substitution, differentiation, etc:
http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/DE/SystemsDE.aspx

However, unlike the method shown in the webpage above, my equation it is a 2nd order DE. Therefore, can I follow the steps exactly as outlined in this example involving only a first order system of DE?

If that is the case, then can I use the same method for the system of DE I wrote below?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=517819
This problem is a little bit more different, because it contains a 2nd order AND a first order DE .

Thanks for the continued support!

Set X3 = DX1 and X4 = DX2. Your system becomes:
DX1 = X3
DX2 = X4
DX3 = X2 - 2X1
DX4 = X1 - 2X2
so if V = column(X1 X2 X3 X4) you have DV = AV, where
A=[[0 0 1 0],[0 0 0 1],[-2 1 0 0],[1 -2 0 0]] = [row1,row2,row3,row4].

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Set X3 = DX1 and X4 = DX2. Your system becomes:
DX1 = X3
DX2 = X4
DX3 = X2 - 2X1
DX4 = X1 - 2X2
so if V = column(X1 X2 X3 X4) you have DV = AV, where
A=[[0 0 1 0],[0 0 0 1],[-2 1 0 0],[1 -2 0 0]] = [row1,row2,row3,row4].

RGV

Hey RGV-

Thanks so much for your help!

By the way- matrix methods will be harder now I guess-
Trying to get eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 4X4 matrix will be quite tough
(if I have just a calculator, pen, and paper).

So, am I correct to assume that standard substitution and DE solving methods are what has to be used to solve higher order linear system of ODE? (Solvable ones, that is)

thanks again.

iqjump123Update- Amongst different methods to solve this problem, I took the method of solving ODE through integrating factors, and got the answer that way. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

Related to 2nd order system of linear DE through matrix methods

1. What is a 2nd order system of linear differential equations?

A 2nd order system of linear differential equations is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a dynamic system, such as a mechanical or electrical system, using a set of two interconnected equations. These equations are typically represented in matrix form and involve the first and second derivatives of the system's variables.

2. How can matrix methods be used to solve 2nd order systems of linear DEs?

Matrix methods can be used to solve 2nd order systems of linear DEs by converting the system into a matrix equation and then using techniques such as matrix multiplication, Gaussian elimination, and inverse matrices to solve for the unknown variables.

3. What are the benefits of using matrix methods to solve 2nd order systems of linear DEs?

Using matrix methods to solve 2nd order systems of linear DEs can simplify the process and make it more efficient. It also allows for the use of computer algorithms and software to solve complex systems, which would be difficult to do by hand.

4. Are there any limitations to using matrix methods for 2nd order systems of linear DEs?

One limitation of using matrix methods for 2nd order systems of linear DEs is that the system must have a constant coefficient matrix. Additionally, the initial conditions of the system must be known in order to solve the equations.

5. How is the stability of a 2nd order system of linear DE determined using matrix methods?

The stability of a 2nd order system of linear DE can be determined by examining the eigenvalues of the coefficient matrix. If all of the eigenvalues have negative real parts, the system is stable. If any of the eigenvalues have positive real parts, the system is unstable. If the eigenvalues have zero real parts, further analysis is needed to determine stability.