• Other
  • Thread starter Florian Geyer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    problem
Florian Geyer
Hello esteemed members
I hope this message finds you all well.

I am writing to you to address what I think are inaccuracies in my English transcript of the courses I have studied in my university, which is my courses’ titles are not correct. For example, "General Mathematics 1" should actually be "Calculus 1," and similarly, "General Mathematics 2" should be "Calculus 2.". Additionally, “physics laboratory” is titled “practical physics” in the
Another issue is with one of my elective courses, which is titled as "Optional Course 2" in the transcript instead of specifying that it is a course in Plasma Physics.

I have two questions regarding this matter:
1. Could you please tell me if this make a lot of difference?
2. Could you please give me some advice on how can I correct this?

Thank you for considering this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you brought your concerns up to the regsistrar, what did they say?

Likes Florian Geyer
I told some of the staff about my concerns, not the registrar, since we do not have one (or maybe we have other officials who have the same duties)
The vice rector (who was one of my professors) told me that this is not a problem, the other ones gave me some different opinions, although I am not sure about the credibility of their opinions i.e. from my experience and in most cases the vice rector is the only one who really give consideration to such questions.
Here are some responses other professors/officials told me:
- The transcript is not important, and what is important is the syllabus.
- No, it is not important, since you will have to go through an entrance exam (maybe he is referring the qualifying exam).

The previous raised a lot of confusion, and thus, I decided to ask about it here.

* For what purpose will the transcript be used?

* If I understand you correctly, the transcript is originally in a non-English language. The original transcript is correct, but the English translation is not. Is that right? If so, who provided the English translation?

• Informative
Likes Vanadium 50 and symbolipoint
CrysPhys said:
* For what purpose will the transcript be used?

* If I understand you correctly, the transcript is originally in a non-English language. The original transcript is correct, but the English translation is not. Is that right? If so, who provided the English translation?
For applying for graduate programs in future, for scholarships' applications, and for all other formal procedures.

Yes, the transcript is written originally in Arabic, but no not all the original transcript is correct. Here is a more detailed explanation:
- The problem of calling Calculus 1 and calculus 2, as general mathematics 1 and 2 respectively still holds.
- The problem of not clearly stating the elective subject as plasma physics still holds.
- However, physics lab is written correctly, and the problem is only in the translated version of the transcript.

The transcript is officially provided by my university.

Is it wise to post unredacted personal information like that? I'd take it down and remove everything except the table of grades - and I'd probably hide everything except the course names.

Likes Florian Geyer and CrysPhys
Since the transcript is provided directly by your university, and not by a translation service, any errors would need to be corrected by your university. Are the suspected errors in the original actually errors, or are those the official course titles?

In the future, should you need corroboration of what the subject material of each course was (which may not be apparent from the course title anyway, even if correct), you should keep a copy of the course catalog descriptions of the courses at the time you took them (assuming you have access to those records). Depending on whom you submit the transcript to, they will designate authorized translation services if needed.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint, Vanadium 50 and Florian Geyer
Ibix said:
Is it wise to post unredacted personal information like that? I'd take it down and remove everything except the table of grades - and I'd probably hide everything except the course names.
Thank you for advice, I deleted the document.

CrysPhys said:
Since the transcript is provided directly by your university, and not by a translation service, any errors would need to be corrected by your university. Are the suspected errors in the original actually errors, or are those the official course titles?

In the future, should you need corroboration of what the subject material of each course was (which may not be apparent from the course title anyway, even if correct), you should keep a copy of the course catalog descriptions of the courses at the time you took them (assuming you have access to those records). Depending on whom you submit the transcript to, they will designate authorized translation services if needed.
mmm, I think now I got the picture, thank you.
Regarding the matter of whether they are errors or official titles, well, in the case of general mathematics, yes, these are the official titles. However, with regard to practical physics, the problem is entirely in the translation, since experimental and practical may be translated to the same Arabic word, the only problem is that I am not sure if a somewhat nonstandard title like "practical physics" make it clear that I took a physic lab courses.
Lastly, yes, I can reach the course catalog (or syllabus) of what I have studied.

Thank you a lot for you help.

Florian Geyer said:
mmm, I think now I got the picture, thank you.
Regarding the matter of whether they are errors or official titles, well, in the case of general mathematics, yes, these are the official titles. However, with regard to practical physics, the problem is entirely in the translation, since experimental and practical may be translated to the same Arabic word, the only problem is that I am not sure if a somewhat nonstandard title like "practical physics" make it clear that I took a physic lab courses.
Lastly, yes, I can reach the course catalog (or syllabus) of what I have studied.

Thank you a lot for you help.
Well, if the official course title is "General Mathematics" instead of "Calculus", then there's nothing you can do about it. Ask the university if they are willing to change the translation from "Practical" to "Experimental". If they refuse, don't worry about it. Many titles are not standardized from country-to-country (e.g., "fine mechanics"), or even within a country (e.g., Calculus I, II, III).

One of the toughest requirements I've come across for transcripts is from the USPTO (US Patent and Trademark Office). Here's one of their requirements for a particular category of applicants:

"vi. Course Descriptions: For each course relied upon in Options 1, 2, 3, or 4 above, an applicant must furnish an official course description which is concurrent with the year in which the course was taken to accompany the official transcript. The course descriptions must include:1. Copies of the catalog cover page showing the year, the page(s) describing the requirements for the major, and 2. Complete pages describing the courses to be considered."

E.g. the course description for "Practical Physics" should indicate that it covers experimental laboratory work. If you can satisfy those requirements, I think you should be OK with any instance. I would get an archive of those records now, just in case you can't access them in the future. To be extra cautious, get documentation for all your courses (regardless of whether they are required for your major or not).

Last edited:
Likes Florian Geyer
CrysPhys said:
Well, if the official course title is "General Mathematics" instead of "Calculus", then there's nothing you can do about it. Ask the university if they are willing to change the translation from "Practical" to "Experimental". If they refuse, don't worry about it. Many titles are not standardized from country-to-country (e.g., "fine mechanics"), or even within a country (e.g., Calculus I, II, III).

...etc
Thank you, I really appreciate your tremendous patience -like always- and all the effort you put in your replies. I will do what you have told me.

You're very welcome. Good luck on your future endeavors.

Likes Florian Geyer
Florian Geyer said:
the transcript is written originally in Arabic,
Your profile says you are in the US Virgin Islands. I did not know there were any Arabic-language universities there.

• Skeptical
Likes Florian Geyer and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
Your profile says you are in the US Virgin Islands. I did not know there were any Arabic-language universities there.

I tell everyone I'm from the Virgin Islands, but really, I'm from Yemen. Either way, I'm an expert at finding shade under palm trees or date palms :biggrin: Thus, I think there is no big difference.

Well, since you are following this for months, and never overlooked it. May I please ask why this is so important?

Note: I will fix this and make it clear that I am from Yemen, although do not know if this will make any difference.

Vanadium 50 said:
And when it comes to my educational background, shall I choose high school or undergrad? If I can write this I would type: "undergrad 😛" since this will make my background clearer:).

You can of course tell us things that are not true. But you can then hardly expect good advice, can you?

Likes Florian Geyer
Vanadium 50 said:
You can of course tell us things that are not true. But you can then hardly expect good advice, can you?
mmm, almost got it

Hard to figure if this is really two different topics or just one topic:
IF you have the actual official copy of transcripts from your college or university, then this is good. If it be meaningful, then the data would be precise, reliable. Now, due to the transcripts being in its original language, the transcript needs to be reliably, precisely and accurately translated to the language as expected for the region to which you want to gain institutional admission. EITHER your originating institution should coordinate with a reliable translator, OR you bring your official copy of transcripts to a qualified translator in the region where you hope to attend/gain admission.

Likes Florian Geyer