Any ideas on which material to actuate a robot hand?

In summary, Martyn is seeking information on using the 'dohelix' method for actuating joints in a robotic hand project. He is looking for suggestions on material for the flexible plaited cord and a formula to determine the translation of the material based on its properties. Some factors to consider are strength, durability, density, and elasticity. The torsion equation can be used to calculate the translation and conducting experiments with different materials is recommended.
kutalinelucas
Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get a little info

I'm building a robotic hand for a masters project. I'm interested in looking into actuating some of the joints using a 'dohelix' method, where a flexible plaited cord is twisted by a DC motor on one end to produce a translation on the other.

I was wondering if anybody knew of what material (or specific properties) I should be looking to use for the chord, or could anybody point me in the direction of a formula which could determine the translation of the material given the density, elasticity, size etc when twisted. I have an idea of how to calibrate the system and allow for deformities through use, but the material needs to be fairly robust, flexible, elastic, thin etc.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Martyn.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi Martyn,

It's great that you are exploring the use of a 'dohelix' method for actuating the joints in your robotic hand project. This method can be quite effective in producing translation in the joints.

In terms of material for the flexible plaited cord, there are a few factors to consider. First, it's important to choose a material that is strong and durable, as it will need to withstand repeated twisting and movement. Some options to consider are nylon, polyester, or Kevlar. These materials are known for their strength and flexibility.

Another important factor to consider is the density and elasticity of the material. These properties will affect how much force is needed to produce a translation in the joint. Generally, a material with lower density and higher elasticity will require less force to produce movement.

To determine the translation of the material, you can use a formula called the torsion equation. This equation takes into account the material properties, such as density, elasticity, and size, as well as the amount of twist applied by the DC motor. There are also online calculators available that can help you determine the translation based on these variables.

Overall, I would recommend conducting some experiments with different materials and using the torsion equation to see which one produces the desired translation and is most suitable for your project. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Any ideas on which material to actuate a robot hand?

1. What is the most commonly used material for actuating a robot hand?

The most commonly used material for actuating a robot hand is a type of flexible polymer called a shape memory alloy (SMA). SMAs are able to change shape in response to temperature changes, making them ideal for robotic applications.

2. Can other materials besides SMAs be used to actuate a robot hand?

Yes, there are other materials besides SMAs that can be used to actuate a robot hand. Some examples include pneumatic actuators, hydraulic actuators, and piezoelectric materials.

3. What are the advantages of using SMAs to actuate a robot hand?

One advantage of using SMAs is their ability to undergo large deformations without losing their shape memory properties. They also have a high power-to-weight ratio, making them suitable for compact robotic designs.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using SMAs for actuating a robot hand?

One drawback of using SMAs is their relatively slow response time compared to other actuator materials. They also have a limited number of cycles before they begin to degrade, so they may not be suitable for long-term use in some applications.

5. How can the choice of actuator material impact the performance of a robot hand?

The choice of actuator material can greatly impact the performance of a robot hand. SMAs, for example, may be better suited for delicate tasks that require precise movements, while pneumatic or hydraulic actuators may be better for tasks that require a lot of force. The choice of material also affects the weight, size, and cost of the robot hand.