Approaching the Measure of a Set: Strategies for Finding f(Eα)

In summary, to approach the problem, start with an arbitrary ##\epsilon \gt 0## and use the definition of the (outer) measure of a set to find a countable set of open intervals, ##C_{epsilon}##, covering ##E\alpha## with a summed length less than ##m( E\alpha) + \epsilon##. Then, use the definition of the derivative to find smaller intervals, ##I_n##, within each interval of ##C_{epsilon}## whose image under ##f## is of length smaller than ##\alpha## length(##I_n##). From there, continue with the problem.
laurabon
Homework Statement
let f : [a, b] → R ,
α ≥ 0 and Eα = {x ∈ [a, b] : exists f'(x) e |f'(x)|≤ α}
show that m (f(Eα)) ≤ α m(Eα)
Relevant Equations
my question is how can I approch the problem ? And what is explicitly the set f(Eα)? {f(x) ∈ [a, b] such that what ??}

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with an arbitrary ##\epsilon \gt 0##. Use the definition of the (outer) measure of a set to find a countable set of open intervals, ##C_{epsilon}## covering ##E\alpha## where the summed length of the intervals is less than ##m( E\alpha) + \epsilon##. Use the definition of the derivative to find smaller intervals within each interval, ##I_n##, of ##C_{epsilon}## whose image, under ##f## is of length smaller than ##\alpha## length(##I_n##). Proceed from there.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42