Build a Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask

• Thread starter tibsho13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flask
In summary: The Robert Boyle ever flowing flask is a perpetual machine, so it can't work, right?Yes, the Robert Boyle ever flowing flask is a perpetual machine and it can't work.
tibsho13
Hello everybody! I am new here and have not looked around much on the forum for an answer to my question, so sorry if this should be obvious to me but:
I want to create a model of the Robert Boyle ever flowing flask for my class.

For those of you who do not know what this is, it is basically a funnel with a hose that goes from the bottom, around, and back into the top of the funnel to replenish the supply... hence... ever flowing.

Of all the videos on Youtube i have never seen one work well but i have recently come up with an idea. What if you put your mouth on the end of the hose and suck the water/soda/beer through until it reaches the end and flows into the funnel? Would this be a type of venturi and would it work? I am planning on tying this but would like an answer is someone has one.

Thanks for any suggestions or information you guys can give me!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You do know Boyle's flask is a perpetual machine, so it can't work, right?

I know that, but it seems like there would there would be more potential helping it start, instead of letting the liquid simply balance itself. I know i am grasping at straws but it seems so entertaining!

tibsho13 said:
Hello everybody! I am new here and have not looked around much on the forum for an answer to my question, so sorry if this should be obvious to me but:
I want to create a model of the Robert Boyle ever flowing flask for my class.

For those of you who do not know what this is, it is basically a funnel with a hose that goes from the bottom, around, and back into the top of the funnel to replenish the supply... hence... ever flowing.

Of all the videos on Youtube i have never seen one work well but i have recently come up with an idea. What if you put your mouth on the end of the hose and suck the water/soda/beer through until it reaches the end and flows into the funnel? Would this be a type of venturi and would it work? I am planning on tying this but would like an answer is someone has one.

Thanks for any suggestions or information you guys can give me!

Welcome to the PF.

Per the PF rules (see Info at the top of the page), discussions about pseudoscience are not allowed here. This includes PMMs. Thread is locked.

PF Rules Forbidden Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

Related to Build a Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask

1. What is a Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask?

A Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask is a scientific apparatus that was invented by the British scientist Robert Boyle in the 17th century. It is a closed glass flask with two tubes attached to it, one going up and one going down. It demonstrates the principles of pressure and volume in gases.

2. How does a Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask work?

The flask is filled with a liquid, such as water, and the two tubes are filled with air. When pressure is applied to the top of the flask, the volume of the air in the top tube decreases, causing the pressure to increase. This pressure forces the liquid in the flask to rise up the top tube and flow out of the bottom tube. As the pressure is released, the volume of the air in the top tube increases, causing the pressure to decrease and the liquid to flow back into the flask.

3. What is the purpose of a Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask?

The purpose of this apparatus is to demonstrate the inverse relationship between pressure and volume in gases, as described by Boyle's Law. By manipulating the pressure on the flask, the volume of the air can be changed, resulting in the liquid continuously flowing in and out of the flask, hence the name "ever flowing". This experiment was important in the development of modern gas laws and our understanding of the behavior of gases.

4. How is a Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask constructed?

A Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask typically consists of a glass flask with a narrow neck and two tubes attached to it. The top tube is connected to a hand pump or other device that can apply pressure, while the bottom tube extends into a container that collects the liquid. The flask is often mounted on a stand to allow for easy manipulation of the pressure.

5. What are some modern uses of a Robert Boyle Ever Flowing Flask?

While this apparatus is primarily used for educational and demonstration purposes, it can also be used for experiments and research in the field of fluid dynamics. It can also be modified for other applications, such as separating mixtures of liquids with different boiling points, or as a model for understanding the water cycle. Additionally, modern versions of the ever flowing flask have been created using electronic sensors and data collection systems, making it a valuable tool in the study of gas behavior and thermodynamics.