Calculate Iridium Atom Radius | Material Science

In summary, to calculate the radius of an iridium atom, given its FCC crystal structure, density, and atomic weight, one must use the mass density and atomic weight to determine the atomic density. Then, by dividing by Avogadro's number, the volume of the unit cell can be obtained. From there, the number of atoms in the unit cell and cell dimensions can be used to determine the atomic radius or diameter. This process is relatively simple and straightforward for cubic structures, such as FCC and BCC. The relationship between the length of the cell edge or lattice parameter and the atomic radius is important, as well as the significance of the face and major diagonals in FCC and BCC cells, respectively.
nebs92
Hi I am in a material science class and one of my homework questions states:

"Calculate the radius of an iridium atom,given that Ir has an FCC crystal structure, a density of 22.4g/cm^3,and an atomic weight of 192.2g/mol."

I think I have to use the Pythagorean theorem somewhere but my teacher went off on some tangent about something unrelated when he was talking about this. Any help will be greatly thanked!

Engineering news on Phys.org
nebs92 said:
Hi I am in a material science class and one of my homework questions states:

"Calculate the radius of an iridium atom, given that Ir has an FCC crystal structure, a density of 22.4g/cm^3,and an atomic weight of 192.2g/mol."

I think I have to use the Pythagorean theorem somewhere but my teacher went off on some tangent about something unrelated when he was talking about this. Any help will be greatly thanked!
One uses the mass density and the atomic weight to determine the atomic density. Dividing by Avogadro's (or Loschmidt's) number, one obtains the volume of a metals unit cell, then one must relate this to the number of atoms in the unit (crystal) cell and the cell dimensions to the atomic radius or diameter. It's relatively simple and straightforward for cubic structures.

How many atoms in an FCC cell?

What is the relationship of the length of the cell edge or lattice parameter to the atomic radius on an FCC metal?

Or what is significant about the face diagonal of the FCC cell?

Similar, what is significant about the major diagonal (opposite corner, not the same face) for a bcc cell?

Related to Calculate Iridium Atom Radius | Material Science

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of an iridium atom?

The formula for calculating the radius of an iridium atom is r = (3/4πV)^1/3, where r is the radius and V is the volume of the atom.

2. How do you determine the volume of an iridium atom?

The volume of an iridium atom can be determined using the formula V = (4/3)πr^3, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the atom.

3. What is the typical radius of an iridium atom?

The typical radius of an iridium atom is approximately 1.35 angstroms (Å), which is equivalent to 1.35 x 10^-10 meters.

4. Can the radius of an iridium atom change?

Yes, the radius of an iridium atom can change depending on the chemical bonding and surrounding environment. For example, when iridium atoms form a molecule, the bond length may affect the atomic radius.

5. How is the radius of an iridium atom relevant to material science?

The radius of an iridium atom is relevant to material science because it affects the physical and chemical properties of materials that contain iridium. For example, the radius can affect the strength and durability of materials, as well as their electrical and thermal conductivity.