Calculating angular velocity when given two wheels speed

In summary, to calculate the angular velocity of a car with 3 wheels, given the velocities of each wheel or the relation between the two speeds, you can measure the velocities and use the average velocity to determine the radius of the turn. From there, you can calculate the time to do a one radian turn and use the reciprocal as the angular rate.
Idaan
Hello everyone. I'm new here, though I've been using the site for a long time now. Now, I have a question. =)

Suppose I have a vehicle with 3 wheels, one frontal passive wheel, and two wheels with different motors in the back. How will I go about calculating the angular velocity of the car, if given the velocity of each wheel? Or maybe given the relation between the two said speeds?

Regards,
Idaan.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You can measure the velocities v1 and v2 of the two wheels.
The velocity of the midpoint between those will be the average. v = (v1 + v2) / 2

Knowing v1, v2, and the (radial) distance between w1 and w2 you can work out the radius of the turn, r, since the ratio v1/r1 = v2/r2 = v/r.

You now know the velocity, v, and radius, r, so you can work out the time to do a one radian turn.
The reciprocal of that is the angular rate.

Related to Calculating angular velocity when given two wheels speed

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around a fixed axis.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

3. What is the relationship between linear and angular velocity?

Linear and angular velocity are related by the radius of the rotating object. Linear velocity is equal to the angular velocity multiplied by the radius of the rotating object. This relationship is known as the tangential velocity formula: v = ωr.

4. How do you calculate angular velocity when given the speed of two wheels?

To calculate the angular velocity of a rotating object when given the speed of two wheels, you will need to know the radius of the wheels. Then, you can use the tangential velocity formula v = ωr to solve for the angular velocity (ω) by dividing the speed of the wheels (v) by the radius of the wheels (r).

5. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction compared to a positive angular velocity. For example, if a wheel is rotating counterclockwise, it will have a positive angular velocity, but if it is rotating clockwise, it will have a negative angular velocity.