Can information be transfered via entaglement?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of entangled particles and whether information can be transferred between them. The speaker has read conflicting articles and is questioning if entanglement can be used as a method of sending information. The response states that this is not possible as observing a particle in a superposition of states results in a random state, making the generated information also random. This is supported by formal theorems.
Viral Titan
I've been reading many articles on entangled particles lately and I have come across many pieces of conflicting data. The primary question I have is can any information be transferred between entangled particles, and if so, could we use entanglement as a method of sending information?

Physics news on Phys.org
Viral Titan said:
I've been reading many articles on entangled particles lately and I have come across many pieces of conflicting data. The primary question I have is can any information be transferred between entangled particles, and if so, could we use entanglement as a method of sending information?

That is not possible, unambiguously. Whenever a particle in a superposition of states observed, it goes into a random state from the possibilities. So the information "generated" is random. There are a number of formal theorems that support this.

Thank you, from what I understood that was the case, making sure I wasn't missing something.

Related to Can information be transfered via entaglement?

1. What is entanglement and how does it work?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum physics where two or more particles are connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, regardless of the distance between them. This connection is often referred to as "spooky action at a distance" and is not fully understood.

2. Can information be transferred via entanglement?

Yes, in theory, information can be transferred via entanglement. However, this is not a practical method of communication as it is difficult to control and measure the state of entangled particles accurately enough to transmit meaningful information.

3. Is entanglement a form of faster-than-light communication?

No, entanglement does not allow for faster-than-light communication. While the state of entangled particles may change simultaneously, there is no way to control or predict the outcome, so no information can be transmitted through this connection.

4. Can entanglement be used for secure communication?

Entanglement has been proposed as a potential method for secure communication, as any attempt to intercept or measure the entangled particles would disrupt the connection and be detected by the sender and receiver. However, this is still a theoretical concept and has not been successfully implemented in practice.

5. Are there any real-world applications of entanglement?

Entanglement has been demonstrated in experiments and has potential applications in quantum computing, quantum teleportation, and quantum cryptography. However, these technologies are still in the early stages of development and more research is needed before they can be used in practical applications.