Corrector for the Ehrenfets equation

• Thread starter carllacan
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks to calculate the lowest corrector for the classical equation of motion using the Ehrenfest theorem. However, there is confusion over the formulation of the question as the given equation for the potential V(x) does not match with the expected equation for the Ehrenfest theorem. There is also mention of the wavelength of the wavefunction, which is generally very small compared to the change in V.
carllacan

Homework Statement

The potential V(x) in the equation
[itex]m\frac{d^2}{dt^2}=-\left \langle \frac{d\hat{V}}{dx} \right \rangle[/itex]
changes very slowly for the typical wavelength wavefunction. Calculate the lowest corrector for the classical equation of motion.

Homework Equations

The Ehrenfest Theorem
[itex]m\frac{d^2}{dt^2}=-\left \langle \frac{d\hat{V}}{dx} \right \rangle[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand the question. I can't find in any book a mention of a corrector for the Ehrenfest equation. And what does it mean with the wavelentgh of the wavefunction?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny, your only relevant equation is also a given in this exercise. My (very old ) QM book has ## {d\over dt}<{\bf p}> = -\int \Psi^* (\nabla V)\Psi\, d\tau = -<\nabla V> = <{\bf F}> ##as Ehrenfest's theorem; with the comment: "this is simply Newton's law, but now for expectation values".

Must say my book is easier to understand for me than your rendering of he exercise: ## m\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\,## looks like an operator to me, not an expectation value like ## -\left \langle \frac{d\hat{V}}{dx} \right \rangle\,##.

So I am on your side in "not understanding the question". I need some reassurance this really is exactly how the exercise was formulated...

This link, by prof. Fitzpatrick, Texas university Austin, sides with Eugen Merzbacher. It makes me think a <x> fell by the wayside somewhere...

Wavelength of the wave function generally has a ##\hbar## in it somewhere, making the wavelength real small compared to change in V.

Related to Corrector for the Ehrenfets equation

1. What is the Ehrenfets equation?

The Ehrenfets equation is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a system in response to a perturbation. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the stability of a system.

2. What does the Corrector for the Ehrenfets equation do?

The Corrector for the Ehrenfets equation is a method used to improve the accuracy of the Ehrenfets equation. It takes into account higher order terms in the equation, resulting in a more precise solution.

3. How is the Corrector for the Ehrenfets equation calculated?

The Corrector is calculated by adding a correction term to the original Ehrenfets equation. This correction term is derived from higher order terms in the equation and is dependent on the system's initial conditions and perturbation.

4. When is the Corrector for the Ehrenfets equation necessary?

The Corrector is necessary when the perturbation to the system is large and the original Ehrenfets equation may not accurately predict the behavior of the system. It is also useful when the system is highly sensitive to initial conditions.

5. What are the limitations of the Corrector for the Ehrenfets equation?

The Corrector is only applicable to linear systems and may not work well for non-linear systems. It also requires knowledge of the system's initial conditions, which may not always be known. Additionally, it may not provide accurate results for highly complex systems with multiple perturbations.