Covering a slit in a diffraction grating - what happens?

In summary, the width from the maxima to the next minima is proportional to the number of slits times the sine of the angle between the slit and the diffraction maximum. This is found by subtracting the diffraction pattern from the pattern produced just by the single slit.
unscientific

Homework Statement

For an N = 1000 slit diffraction grating, the distance from a maxima to a minima at order p is given by:

[tex]\delta \theta = \frac{\lambda}{Np}[/tex]

The centremost ##\frac{N}{2}## slit is covered, what happens to this width?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm tempted to say to think that one slit won't make a difference if N is large like 1000 slits. Physically, that would make the ##\frac{N}{2}-1## and ##\frac{N}{2} +1## slits have double the separation.

I have never come across any question quite like this, so I am at a loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just one slit is covered, or the central half?
A single slit won't make a large difference, half of them could.

mfb said:

Just the centermost slit. I'm asked to find what happens to ##\delta \theta##, the width from the maxima to the next minima. I'm given 10 marks to work out the ratio between ##\frac{\delta \theta\space '}{\delta \theta}##.

mfb said:

I think I might have solved it.
I'm subtracted the diffraction pattern with the pattern produced just by that slit alone to find the new pattern.

Without covering the slit, we have the usual diffraction:

[tex]u = u_0 e^{i(kz-\omega t)} \space \frac{1- e^{iN\delta}}{1- e^{i\delta}} = u_0 e^{i(kz-\omega t)} e^{i(\frac{N}{2}\delta - \frac{\delta}{2})} \frac{sin \left(\frac{N\delta}{2}\right)}{sin \left( \frac{\delta}{2}\right)}[/tex]

After covering the slit, we simply have:

[tex]u = u_0 \left[e^{i(kz-\omega t)} e^{i(\frac{N}{2}\delta - \frac{\delta}{2})} \frac{sin \left(\frac{N\delta}{2}\right)}{sin \left( \frac{\delta}{2}\right)}\space - \space e^{i(\frac{N\delta}{2})}\right][/tex]

The intensity is given by ##I \propto uu^*##:

[tex]I = I_0 \left[ \frac{sin^2 \left( \frac{N\delta}{2} \right)}{sin^2\left(\frac{\delta}{2}\right)} \space -2 cos\left(\frac{N\delta}{2}\right) \frac{sin \left( \frac{N\delta}{2} \right)}{sin \left(\frac{\delta}{2}\right)} + 1 \right][/tex]

To find ##I_0##, simply substitute in ##\delta = 0##. We know that the central intensity is proportional to ##N^2## where N is number of slits, so we would expect ##I_0 = (N-1)^2## here.

Substituting ##\delta = 0##, we have ##I \propto (N^2 -2N + 1) = (N-1)^2##, so it is satisfied!

Assuming wave is normalized,

[tex]I = (N-1)^2 \left[ \frac{sin^2 \left( \frac{N\delta}{2} \right)}{sin^2\left(\frac{\delta}{2}\right)} \space -2 cos\left(\frac{N\delta}{2}\right) \frac{sin \left( \frac{N\delta}{2} \right)}{sin \left(\frac{\delta}{2}\right)} + 1 \right][/tex]

Maximas still occur at ##d sin \theta = n\lambda##, with intensity ##(N-1)^2##.

Minimas (non-zero intensity) now occur at ##\frac{N\delta}{2} = \frac{n\pi}{2}##. So minimas are at ##d sin \theta = \frac{n}{N}(\frac{\lambda}{2})##.

Comparing it to the uncovered case, this implies that ##\delta \theta \space ' = \frac{1}{2} \delta \theta##.

Last edited:
You don't double the width just by covering one slit. To subtract the contributions from the 1000 slits and the single slit, you have to take into account the relative intensity, as it differs by a factor of 1000.

mfb said:
You don't double the width just by covering one slit. To subtract the contributions from the 1000 slits and the single slit, you have to take into account the relative intensity, as it differs by a factor of 1000.

I subtracted the angular displacement:

[tex]u = u_0 \left[e^{i(kz-\omega t)} e^{i(\frac{N}{2}\delta - \frac{\delta}{2})} \frac{sin \left(\frac{N\delta}{2}\right)}{sin \left( \frac{\delta}{2}\right)}\space - \space e^{i(\frac{N\delta}{2})}\right][/tex]

There should be a prefactor of ##\frac{1}{r}##, but we asume that the distances are large so ##r## doesn't vary with angle.

There should be a prefactor of 1000 as the first comes from 1000 slits and the second just from one.

mfb said:
There should be a prefactor of 1000 as the first comes from 1000 slits and the second just from one.

So It should be:

[tex]u = u_0 \left[e^{i(kz-\omega t)} e^{i(\frac{N}{2}\delta - \frac{\delta}{2})} \frac{sin \left(\frac{N\delta}{2}\right)}{sin \left( \frac{\delta}{2}\right)}\space - \frac{1}{1000}\space e^{i(\frac{N\delta}{2})}\right] [/tex]

[tex]= I = I_0 \left[ \frac{sin^2 \left( \frac{N\delta}{2} \right)}{sin^2\left(\frac{\delta}{2}\right)} \space - 2\frac{1}{10^6} cos\left(\frac{\delta (2N+1)}{2})\right) \frac{sin \left( \frac{N\delta}{2} \right)}{sin \left(\frac{\delta}{2}\right)} + \frac{1}{10^6} \right][/tex]

Last edited:
How did you expand the small term, where does the sine come from and why does it have an N? The single slit does not "know" about the total number of slits.
I would expect a slight shift in the position of the minima - when the sine is zero, the cosine is not zero and the other sine should look different.

mfb said:
How did you expand the small term, where does the sine come from and why does it have an N? The single slit does not "know" about the total number of slits.
I would expect a slight shift in the position of the minima - when the sine is zero, the cosine is not zero and the other sine should look different.

To find the intensity:

[tex]I \propto uu* = u_0^2 \left[e^{-i(kz-\omega t)} e^{-i(\frac{N}{2}\delta - \frac{\delta}{2})} \frac{sin \left(\frac{N\delta}{2}\right)}{sin \left( \frac{\delta}{2}\right)}\space - \frac{1}{1000}\space e^{-i(\frac{N\delta}{2})}\right] \left[e^{i(kz-\omega t)} e^{i(\frac{N}{2}\delta - \frac{\delta}{2})} \frac{sin \left(\frac{N\delta}{2}\right)}{sin \left( \frac{\delta}{2}\right)}\space - \frac{1}{1000}\space e^{i(\frac{N\delta}{2})}\right] [/tex]

[tex] = I = I_0 \left[ \frac{sin^2 \left( \frac{N\delta}{2} \right)}{sin^2\left(\frac{\delta}{2}\right)} \space - 2\frac{1}{10^6} cos\left(\frac{\delta (2N+1)}{2})\right) \frac{sin \left( \frac{N\delta}{2} \right)}{sin \left(\frac{\delta}{2}\right)} + \frac{1}{10^6} \right] [/tex]

Now we see that if ##\frac{N\delta}{2} = n\pi##, the intensity is no longer zero, but ##I_0\frac{1}{10^6}##. Thus the minimum has shifted by a bit. How do I find the extent of the shift?

Last edited:
You can try to find the derivative of the intensity with respect to the position.

mfb said:
You can try to find the derivative of the intensity with respect to the position.

I used small angles above to determine the shift (see above), do you think that's right?

Last edited:
Man, you're way over my head. Why isn't it just:
δΘ'/δΘ = (λ/(2N'p)) / (λ/(2Np)) = N/N' = 1000/999 ~ 1.001 ?
hard to believe the given equation is accurate to 1 ppk...

abitslow said:

because it is a 10 mark question.

mfb said:

I think there's a simpler way..

unscientific said:
I used small angles above to determine the shift (see above), do you think that's right?
Sure, all angles are small.

I'm not sure if it works without finding the derivative.

abitslow said:
It would be that easy if a slit on the side would get covered. I'm not sure a slit in the middle gives the same result.

mfb said:
Sure, all angles are small.

I'm not sure if it works without finding the derivative.

It would be that easy if a slit on the side would get covered. I'm not sure a slit in the middle gives the same result.

Differentiating it would be a huge mess and I'm not even sure if it will produce any result.

Related to Covering a slit in a diffraction grating - what happens?

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a tool used in optics to split and diffract light into its component wavelengths. It consists of a large number of equally spaced parallel slits that cause light waves to interfere with each other, producing a spectrum of colors.

2. How does covering a slit in a diffraction grating affect the light passing through it?

Covering a slit in a diffraction grating reduces the number of slits available for the light to pass through. This leads to a decrease in the number of diffraction patterns produced, resulting in a narrower spectral range and a dimmer overall intensity of the diffracted light.

3. What happens if multiple slits are covered in a diffraction grating?

If multiple slits are covered in a diffraction grating, the resulting diffraction pattern will have even fewer bright spots and a narrower spectral range. This is because the interference between the light waves passing through the uncovered slits will be greatly reduced.

4. Can covering a slit in a diffraction grating completely block out all of the diffracted light?

No, covering a slit in a diffraction grating will not completely block out all of the diffracted light. Some light will still pass through the remaining slits and produce a diffraction pattern, although it will be much dimmer and have a narrower spectral range.

5. How does the width of a covered slit affect the diffraction pattern in a diffraction grating?

The width of a covered slit in a diffraction grating has a direct impact on the diffraction pattern. A wider slit will result in a broader diffraction pattern, while a narrower slit will produce a sharper pattern. This is because the width of the slit affects the amount of interference between the light waves passing through it.