Design an Egg Encasement to Survive a 3m Drop

In summary, the conversation is about a physics class assignment where the student must design an encasement around an egg to survive a 3m drop. The encasement cannot exceed 150 cubic centimeters. The person suggests using the PF Search Engine to find ideas and shares their own idea of incubating the egg until it grows feathers. A humorous exchange follows, but it is mentioned that the chicks will hatch before growing feathers, causing a delay in the drop.
llaskai09
Hi,
For my physics class I have to design some sort of encasement around an egg so that it will survive a 3m drop. The encasement (including the egg) can be no larger than 150 cubic centimeters. Any ideas?
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
llaskai09 said:
Hi,
For my physics class I have to design some sort of encasement around an egg so that it will survive a 3m drop. The encasement (including the egg) can be no larger than 150 cubic centimeters. Any ideas?
Thank you

Welcome to the PF. There have been lots of threads about egg drop projects here on the PF. You can see some of them linked to at the bottom of this page under the Related Threads list. You can also use the Search feature to find lots of other threads and info.

The PF Search Engine doesn't work for words of only 3 letters, so instead do a search on eggs. Read through some of those threads, and post your thoughts back here as you start to have ideas.

I don't know why I never thought of this before, but I have the perfect solution to this challenge. You don't even need an enclosure. Simply incubate the egg. Once it has grown feathers, surviving a 3-metre drop should be no problem.

Danger said:
I don't know why I never thought of this before, but I have the perfect solution to this challenge. You don't even need an enclosure. Simply incubate the egg. Once it has grown feathers, surviving a 3-metre drop should be no problem.

Clever, Danger-san. Too bad the chicks crack out of the egg without feathers. The judges will need to be made to wait a long time for this contestant's drop! :smile:

berkeman said:
the chicks crack out of the egg without feathers.

I know. The OP didn't mention a time limit. :biggrin:

Related to Design an Egg Encasement to Survive a 3m Drop

1. How do you determine the best design for an egg encasement to survive a 3m drop?

The best design for an egg encasement to survive a 3m drop is determined by conducting experiments and analyzing the results. This includes testing different materials, shapes, and cushioning methods to see which one provides the most protection for the egg.

2. What materials are most effective in protecting an egg during a 3m drop?

The most effective materials in protecting an egg during a 3m drop are ones that can absorb shock and distribute force evenly, such as foam, bubble wrap, or cotton. Additionally, materials with strong structural integrity, like cardboard or plastic, can provide added protection.

3. How important is the shape of the encasement in protecting the egg?

The shape of the encasement is crucial in protecting the egg. A round or curved shape can help distribute the force of impact more evenly, while sharp edges or corners can increase the chances of the egg cracking or breaking upon impact.

4. Can the egg encasement be reused after a successful drop?

It depends on the materials and design of the encasement. Some materials, like foam, can become compressed and less effective after repeated use. It is important to inspect the encasement for any damage or wear and tear before each drop to ensure the best protection for the egg.

5. Is there a maximum weight limit for the egg encasement?

Yes, there is a maximum weight limit for the egg encasement. The weight limit will depend on the materials and design of the encasement, as well as the strength of the materials used to attach the encasement to the egg. It is important to consider the weight of the egg and encasement together to ensure the encasement can support it during the drop.