Determing the flowfield on a swept wing

• Thread starter RandomGuy88
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for software to computationally determine the flowfield over a 3D swept wing, preferably using a vortex lattice method. They have little experience in this area and need a program to input their wing geometry and determine baseline flowfield characteristics, as well as the ability to remove sections of the wing and analyze the updated flowfield. They also need to consider the effects of wind tunnel walls on their model. They are asking if anyone knows of any programs that can do this, and mention that there are some free CFD programs available. One suggestion is X-Plane, which is a flight simulator that uses CFD techniques in its design process.
RandomGuy88
Hello,

I am looking for software that I can use to computationally determining the flowfield over a 3D swept wing. Perhaps using a vortex lattice method. I have very little experience with any kind of aerodynamic computational modeling.

Is what I really need to do is be able to put my wing geometry in the program to determine the baseline flowfield characteristics such as the velocity distribution including the spanwise velocity component. Then I will need to remove a section of the wing and and determine how the flow field has changed. For example I would remove perhaps from midspan to the tip and determine the flowfield over the portion of the wing that remains. If possible I would also need to model wind tunnel walls and the effects they have on my model.

Does anyone know of any programs that are capable of this. Like I said I have very little experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Plane_(simulator)" isn't a CFD, per se', but it does include both an aircraft designer and employs CFD techniques, real-time, via its blade element theory engine.

I don't know if it'll model spanwise flow, but it might. It's certainly good enough for FAA certification as a simulator, and people have designed aircraft using it. It may be worth a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Determing the flowfield on a swept wing

1. How is the flowfield on a swept wing determined?

The flowfield on a swept wing is determined through computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, wind tunnel testing, and flight testing. CFD simulations use mathematical equations to model the flow of air over the wing, while wind tunnel and flight testing provide real-world data to validate the simulations.

2. What factors affect the flowfield on a swept wing?

The flowfield on a swept wing is affected by various factors, including the wing's shape, angle of sweep, angle of attack, airspeed, and air density. These factors can significantly impact the wing's lift and drag performance.

3. How does the angle of sweep affect the flowfield on a swept wing?

The angle of sweep refers to the angle between the wing's leading edge and the direction of flight. This angle affects the distribution of lift over the wing and can also impact the wing's stability and control. Generally, a higher angle of sweep results in a larger lift force and reduced drag.

4. What is the boundary layer and how does it affect the flowfield on a swept wing?

The boundary layer is a thin layer of air that forms on the surface of the wing due to viscous effects. It plays a crucial role in determining the wing's aerodynamic performance by affecting the airflow near the surface. A thicker boundary layer can increase drag, while a thinner boundary layer can improve lift performance.

5. How do different airfoil shapes impact the flowfield on a swept wing?

The airfoil shape is a critical factor in determining the flowfield on a swept wing. Different airfoil shapes can affect the wing's lift and drag performance, as well as its stability and control. For example, a thicker airfoil can generate more lift, while a thinner airfoil can reduce drag. The choice of airfoil shape depends on the specific design requirements of the aircraft.