Do functions with complex parts differentiate/integrate like usual?

In summary, the derivative of a complex function is complex if the function is complex valued, but real if the function is real valued.
cmcraes
To get straight to the point: If I have a function f(
x)= 3x2+2ix
Would f'(x)= 6x+2i?

More generally, does complex differentiation follow the same rules as normal differentiation? (Ie; power rule, quotient rule, product rule, chain rule etc.)
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are analogs of the power/product/quotient rules in complex analysis, but, in general, differentiation and integration of complex functions is a bit more subtle (see, for instance, the Cauchy-Reimann equations). The answer to your question is yes with a "but", but the "but" is large enough that the answer is effectively "no".

Could you give me a quick example? Also is my example in the first post correct? Thanks :)

cmcraes said:
Could you give me a quick example?
##f(z) = \bar z## is the canonical example of a complex function that does not have a complex derivative.

For a real function f(x), a limit exists at some point a if both ##\lim_{x\to a_-}\, f(x)## and ##\lim_{x\to a_+} \, f(x)## exist and if these two one-sided limits are equal. With real functions, you have to worry about are two paths, one from below, the other from above. There are an uncountable number of paths in complex space along which z can approach some point a. This means that the mere existence of the complex derivative at some point places very strong conditions on the nature of the function.

cm, the properties of differentiation depend as much on the domain as the range of the function. For your example f(x) is x supposed to be a real number, or a complex number?

Because if you have a function f from reals to the complex numbers, then to differentiate it you can differentiate the complex and real parts as separate real differentiable functions, and everything in the theory works exactly as it does in the real to real case (this requires proving of course, but it's not particularly hard). If it's from the complex numbers to the complex numbers then things are significantly different even though superficially they appear the same

Okay I think I'm getting the jist of it, But could you, for example; differentiate the Gamma function Γ(z) on some continuous interval?

cmcraes said:
Okay I think I'm getting the jist of it, But could you, for example; differentiate the Gamma function Γ(z) on some continuous interval?

See this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function

For complex z, the derivative of [itex]\Gamma[/itex](z) is defined in terms of the polygamma function [itex]\psi[/itex](z), and exists for z > 0.

it helps to actually define differentiation. for a function like the one you gave first, the derivative means the best real linear approximation. this is computed exactly as you said.

but for a complex valued function of a complex variable, the complex derivative means the best complex linear approximation (in a precise sense of best).

since "zbar" is real linear but not complex linear, it has a real derivative but not a complex derivative.

in Riemann's treatment he expressed the real derivative in terms of dz and dzbar, and called a function complex differentiable if the dzbar part was zero.

I have explained this in excruciating detail in a long post somewhere here.

maybe this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=563301&highlight=dzbar

Related to Do functions with complex parts differentiate/integrate like usual?

1. How do functions with complex parts differentiate/integrate?

Functions with complex parts differentiate/integrate in the same way as usual functions. The complex parts are treated as constants, and the differentiation/integration rules apply to the rest of the function.

2. Can complex numbers be differentiated/integrated?

Yes, complex numbers can be differentiated/integrated as long as the real and imaginary parts are treated separately.

3. Do the rules of differentiation/integration apply to the complex parts?

No, the rules of differentiation/integration do not apply to the complex parts. They are treated as constants in the process.

4. Are there any special cases to consider when differentiating/integrating functions with complex parts?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider when differentiating/integrating functions with complex parts. For example, if the function has a singularity at a complex point, the derivative/integral may not exist.

5. Can we use the chain rule when differentiating functions with complex parts?

Yes, the chain rule can be used when differentiating functions with complex parts. However, it is important to keep in mind that the complex parts are treated as constants in the process.