Doubt about Relativity: Is it Possible?

In summary, the question is about the relative speeds of two protons fired in opposite directions at 0.9c and 0.5c, respectively, in the lab frame. According to the formula v' = (v1 + v2)/(1 + (v1v2)/c^2), the speed of either proton relative to the other is 0.966c. Alternatively, this can be calculated by considering one proton's rest frame and sending the lab traveling at 0.9c/0.5c, followed by the other proton being shot off at 0.5c/0.9c from the lab frame.
helios.jones
Doubt about relativity!

I am a noob! Forgive me if it sounds too stupid!

Let me say, I am in CERN right now at the LHC.
I fire a proton at 0.9c in one direction. While this happens, I also fire another proton at 0.5c in the opposite direction. Both the measurements were done considering the lab as a reference frame.

The problem is, what's the speed(or velocity) of either proton relative to one another??

Physics news on Phys.org

It will be given by [itex]v' = {{v_1 + v_2}\over{1+{{v_1v_2}\over{c^2}}}}[/itex]

Numerically either proton will see the other shoot off at .966c

Formally you consider one of the proton's rest frame and send the lab traveling off at 0.9c/0.5c and then the other proton is shot off at 0.5c/0.9c from the lab frame.

Related to Doubt about Relativity: Is it Possible?

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity is a fundamental principle in physics proposed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. Is the theory of relativity proven?

Yes, the theory of relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations. It has also been used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe, providing further evidence of its validity.

3. Can the theory of relativity be challenged?

As with any scientific theory, the theory of relativity can be challenged and refined as new evidence and discoveries emerge. However, the basic principles and predictions of the theory have been consistently supported by experiments and observations.

4. Is it possible to disprove the theory of relativity?

In order to disprove the theory of relativity, one would need to provide evidence that contradicts its fundamental principles and predictions. So far, no such evidence has been found, and the theory remains a cornerstone of modern physics.

5. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe, as it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds and in strong gravitational fields. It has also led to the development of technologies such as GPS and has influenced other areas of science, such as cosmology and quantum mechanics.