Early mechanical/analog computers

• Thread starter Dembara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computers
In summary, I am currently working on a project on early mechanical computers; I understand the basics of how the rotor mechanisms, and whatnot work. However, I need some specific, and preferably diagrams. Most of the sources I've found refer to the broader working of the mechanism (and the implications), would anyone have a source that tackles it more from a engineering perspective, of the mechanism themselves?
Dembara
I am currently working on a project on early mechanical computers; I understand the basics of how the rotor mechanisms, and whatnot work. However, I need some specific, and preferably diagrams. Most of the sources I've found refer to the broader working of the mechanism (and the implications), would anyone have a source that tackles it more from a engineering perspective, of the mechanism themselves?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Define mechanical computer? I can remember my dad working in upholstery plants and they used a system of punch card on a rotating belt to input information into the loom machines mechanically. As the cards rotated into the machine they would allow the loom needles to either drop out or engage at different intervals. My dad was a "fixer" so his job was to replace damaged card set patterns and make new ones. As I got older I realized that this method could be thought of as a form of computer...the cards representing the data, the punched holes as 0's and 1's like binary code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacquard_loom

Likes Dembara
Search on :

Mechanical analogue computers
Mechanical computing mechanisms

Charles Babbage computer
Tide level calculation machine

Bomb sight computer mechanism
Antikythera mechanism

Cams slides and gears for computing mechanisms
Calculating engines

gjonesy said:
Define mechanical computer?
Sorry I didn't clarify. It's a large paper, so anything would help, specifically though I am focusing on stuff in the 18th-19th century (and really early 20th). Thank you! Also, that's cool, my father worked with some of the early punch cards also, when working as a professor, though I think that was a bit later (though punch cards were around, I think my dad used them when they were a way of coding, that was read into electronics).

Likes gjonesy
gjonesy said:
Define mechanical computer? I can remember my dad working in upholstery plants and they used a system of punch card on a rotating belt to input information into the loom machines mechanically. As the cards rotated into the machine they would allow the loom needles to either drop out or engage at different intervals. My dad was a "fixer" so his job was to replace damaged card set patterns and make new ones. As I got older I realized that this method could be thought of as a form of computer...the cards representing the data, the punched holes as 0's and 1's like binary code.

Also :

Organs
Sequence controlled machine tools
Programmable numerically controlled machine tools
Code breaking machines

Likes Dembara
Nidum said:
Search on :

Mechanical analogue computers
Mechanical computing mechanisms

Charles Babbage computer
Tide level calculation machine

Bomb sight computer mechanism
Antikythera mechanism

Cams slides and gears for computing mechanisms
Calculating engines
Thank you, though I have already tried googling many of those (though I'll try the two I haven't being the bomb sight, and antikythera). Do you know of any specific places, or resources that tend to hold diagrams for them?

Nidum said:
Also :

Organs
Code breaking machines
Weren't those in the mid-20th century (I don't recognize what you mean by organs, but the others I recognize)? For the project I am doing I can't use anything after the first world war.

Organs

Code breaking machines

The first two existed well before the First World War .
The second two evolved mostly from the 1930's onwards

Dembara said:
Sorry I didn't clarify.

Its ok, the jacquard (type ) punch card loom was used up until I know of the early 90's. And I remember seeing a documentary on how these simple innovations led to the advancement of early mechanical computing and data entry. So did those old player pianos and music boxes. When you look at these machines you are looking at the great great great grandfather of the modern computer I am using to create this post. :smile:

You could make your project much more interesting by creating virtual reality models of some of the mechanical computer mechanisms . You could even make them function and demonstrate the calculations evolving .

Here is one of what's called an "analytical machine"

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...9c8b4ca4578fef126707c5a29f282a4co0&ajaxhist=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytical_Engine

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...62cf8e0f8c693e4ce28f478231df209eo0&ajaxhist=0Here is another, Its actually a drawing of a mechanical computer

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/Classes/Jbutler/T389/Pascaline.jpg

http://www.bing.com/images/search/?...F67E0D6569281232997B12D32BE73CD15&FORM=BRQONH

lots of good early diagrams of mechanical computers and calculators.

Last edited:
@Dembara Did you check for patents?

Likes Dembara
/

Nidum said:
You could make your project much more interesting by creating virtual reality models of some of the mechanical computer mechanisms . You could even make them function and demonstrate the calculations evolving .
Unfortunately, my project is primarily written (it is actually a history project, but rather open in subject matter), so I don't think that would be possible.

gneill said:
@Dembara Did you check for patents?
Is there any data base that sorts them with dates? I know the US trademark office site, but it gives all of them (and all related laws), and even under mechanical computers, it doesn't give me enough options to practically organize it.

Dembara said:
Is there any data base that sorts them with dates? I know the US trademark office site, but it gives all of them (and all related laws), and even under mechanical computers, it doesn't give me enough options to practically organize it.
I'm not aware of such. Which of course doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You might need to look for survey articles on the history of difference engines to get the dates, then look up the individual patents.

Didn't someone in the last year or two start to construct for the first time a computing machine based on the futuristic design drawings of someone from centuries ago? We were told that only now is technology able to support a practical realisation of his vision.

Here's an astronomical calculator from 2000 years ago, built using 30 bronze gears. http://m.livescience.com/1166-scientists-unravel-mystery-ancient-greek-machine.html

https://www.jlab.org/ir/MITSeries/V27.PDF

An excellent book which contains many line drawings of the actual mechanical computing elements .

Last edited:
Likes Dembara
Nidum said:
https://www.jlab.org/ir/MITSeries/V27.PDF

An excellent book which contains many line drawings of the actual mechanical computing elements .
I can't seem to see all the info on it (or I am just looking over it), could you give me the name and/or the full citation? Thank you! It looks really useful.

https://archive.org/details/ComputingMechanismsLinkages

gneill said:
I'm not aware of such. Which of course doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

You might need to look for survey articles on the history of difference engines to get the dates, then look up the individual patents.
I found this site which provides the patent numbers, and images of them.

Related to Early mechanical/analog computers

1. What is an early mechanical/analog computer?

An early mechanical/analog computer is a type of computing device that was developed before the invention of modern electronic computers. It uses physical mechanisms such as gears, levers, and cams to perform calculations and solve problems.

2. When were early mechanical/analog computers invented?

The earliest known examples of mechanical/analog computers date back to ancient civilizations, such as the abacus used in Mesopotamia and China. However, the first programmable mechanical computer was invented in the 19th century by Charles Babbage.

3. How were data input and output handled in early mechanical/analog computers?

Data input in early mechanical/analog computers was typically done manually by operators through the use of dials and knobs. Output was often displayed through the use of gauges or physical printouts.

4. What were the main limitations of early mechanical/analog computers?

Early mechanical/analog computers had limited storage capacity and could only perform specific tasks for which they were designed. They were also prone to mechanical failures and required skilled operators to use them effectively.

5. How did early mechanical/analog computers pave the way for modern computers?

Although early mechanical/analog computers were limited in their capabilities, they laid the foundation for modern computers by introducing concepts such as data storage, input/output mechanisms, and programmability. Many of the principles used in these early computers, such as binary arithmetic, are still used in modern computing systems.