Energy-momentum pseudotensor example problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of finding the energy flux of a gravitational wave using the energy-momentum pseudotensor. The equations given include a general gravitational plane wave and a stress-energy pseudotensor. The individual attempting to solve the problem struggles with finding the correct answer and seeks help. The expert points out some mistakes in the approach and suggests multiplying the matrix representations of the tensors and using the Einstein summation convention to solve the problem.
Alexrey

Homework Statement

I'm following the derivation of finding the energy flux of a gravitational wave propagating along the z-axis where they use the energy-momentum pseudotensor to achieve this, but I can't seem to get an answer that matches theirs.

Homework Equations

We are given a general gravitational plane wave where its wave vector k is given by [tex]k_{a}=(\omega/c,0,0,-\omega/c).[/tex] We then have a stress-energy pseudotensor given by
[tex]t_{ab}=\frac{c^{4}}{64\pi G}k_{a}k_{b}A_{ij}^{TT}A^{ij\, TT}.[/tex] where the amplitude polarization tensor is [tex]A_{ij}^{TT}=\begin{bmatrix}A_{+} & A_{\times} & 0\\
A_{\times} & -A_{+} & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to be just some basic algebraic manipulation that is needed but for some reason I can't get the answer of [tex]t_{ab}=\frac{c^{2}\omega^{2}}{32\pi G}(A_{+}^{2}+A_{\times}^{2})\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & -1\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
-1 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}[/tex] which was given in the textbook. I tried some manipulation, but then could see nowhere to go next as all of my matrices ended up being zero. I started out by putting everything in where [tex]t_{ab}=\frac{c^{4}}{64\pi G}(\omega/c,0,0,-\omega/c)(\omega/c,0,0,-\omega/c)\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & A_{+} & A_{\times} & 0\\
0 & A_{\times} & -A_{+} & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}.[/tex] I then simplified to get [tex]t_{ab}=\frac{c^{2}\omega^{2}}{64\pi G}(1,0,0,-1)(1,0,0,-1)\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}.[/tex] Once this was done though I found out that multiplying [tex](1,0,0,-1)\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{bmatrix}[/tex] gave zero and that's essentially where I stopped. I know I must be making a really stupid mistake but I just can't see it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alexrey said:
We then have a stress-energy pseudotensor given by
[tex]t_{ab}=\frac{c^{4}}{64\pi G}k_{a}k_{b}A_{ij}^{TT}A^{ij\, TT}.[/tex] [/tex]

The RHS of this equation looks more like the averaged stress-energy pseudotensor... is that what you are asked to find?

Yup that's the one. :) We were already given a plane wave of the form [tex]h_{ij}^{TT}=A_{ij}^{TT}\cos\left(k_{a}x^{a}\right)[/tex] which when averaged in the energy-momentum pseudotensor came out to the form that you quoted.

Okay. Well what kind of quantity is [itex]A_{ij}A^{ij}[/itex]; tensor, vector or scalar? What kind of quantity is [itex]k_bA_{ij}[/itex]? Does it make sense to compute it as a vector times a matrix (which results in a vector)?

Aside: Typically one uses Greek indices when they are to range over spatial and temporal dimensions, and Latin for spatial only.

Well, [tex]A_{ij}^{TT}A^{ij\, TT}[/tex] are just two tensors in the transverse-traceless gauge (where i,j=1,2,3) and [tex]k_{a}[/tex] is just a vector which can be generalized to a (0,1) tensor (where a=0,1,2,3,4) which can then be generalized to a 1x4 matrix. I think it would be possible to multiply the amplitude matrices with the wave vectors because the final answer in the textbook seems to look like that root was taken somewhere.

Alexrey said:
Well, [tex]A_{ij}^{TT}A^{ij\, TT}[/tex] are just two tensors in the transverse-traceless gauge (where i,j=1,2,3)

No, [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] and [itex]A^{ij}[/itex] are 2 tensors. The quantity [itex]A_{ij}A^{ij}[/itex] is, according to the Einstein summation convention, a scalar:

[tex]A_{ij}A^{ij}\equiv \sum_{i,j}A_{ij}A^{ij} = A_{11}A^{11} + A_{12}A^{12} + \ldots + A_{33}A^{33}[/tex]

Do you get a scalar if you naively multiply the matrix representations of [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] and [itex]A^{ij}[/itex] together using the usual matrix multiplication rules?

and [tex]k_{a}[/tex] is just a vector which can be generalized to a (0,1) tensor (where a=0,1,2,3,4) which can then be generalized to a 1x4 matrix. I think it would be possible to multiply the amplitude matrices with the wave vectors because the final answer in the textbook seems to look like that root was taken somewhere.

Sure, [itex]k_a[/itex] is a vector, or a rank 1 tensor, but look at how many different indices you have in the quantity [itex]k_aA_{ij}[/itex]: 3 indices means this quantity is a rank 3 tensor (or pseudo-tensor, depending on how it transforms), which is not what you get when you naively multiply the matrix representation of [itex]k_a[/itex] with the matrix representation of [itex]A_{ij}[/itex].

The point I was hoping that you would see from my previous questions is that when you are given something like

[tex]A_{ij} =\begin{pmatrix} A_{+} & A_{\times} & 0 \\ A_{\times} & -A_{+} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

it does not mean that [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] is that matrix, only that [itex]A_{ij}[/itex] is the component in the [itex]i[/itex]th row and [itex]j[/itex]th column of that matrix. The same thing holds true for the expression [itex]k_a=(-\frac{\omega}{c}, 0 , 0, \frac{\omega}{c})[/itex]; that is [itex]k_a[/itex] is not that 1x4 matrix, rather it is the [itex]a[/itex]th component of it.

You cannot just naively multiply the matrix representation of tensors together and expect to get a result that makes sense. You need to pay attention to the indices and what the equation is actually telling you to do

Instead, try starting by calculating [itex]A_{ij}A^{ij}=A_{ij}g^{di}g^{ej}A_{de}[/itex]. You should end up with a nice scalar value of [itex]2(A_{+}^{(2)}+A_{\times}^{(2)})[/itex].

Sometimes I just forget about the simplest of rules! I'll give that a try and see what I end up with, thanks very much.

Related to Energy-momentum pseudotensor example problem

1. What is an energy-momentum pseudotensor?

An energy-momentum pseudotensor is a mathematical object used in general relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a gravitational field. It takes into account the curvature of spacetime and is used to calculate the gravitational effects of energy and momentum on the shape of spacetime.

2. What is an example problem that uses an energy-momentum pseudotensor?

An example problem that uses an energy-momentum pseudotensor is the calculation of the gravitational energy and momentum of a rotating black hole. This involves using the pseudotensor to calculate the curvature of spacetime and the gravitational forces present in the vicinity of the black hole.

3. How is an energy-momentum pseudotensor different from a regular tensor?

An energy-momentum pseudotensor is different from a regular tensor in that it is not a true tensor, meaning it does not transform in a consistent manner under changes of coordinate systems. This is due to the fact that it takes into account the curvature of spacetime and is only defined in a local region, rather than being globally defined like a regular tensor.

4. What are the limitations of using an energy-momentum pseudotensor?

The use of an energy-momentum pseudotensor is limited by its non-tensorial properties and its local definition. This can make it difficult to use in certain situations where a global description is needed, and can also lead to ambiguity in its interpretation.

5. How is the energy-momentum pseudotensor related to Einstein's equations of general relativity?

The energy-momentum pseudotensor is related to Einstein's equations of general relativity through the stress-energy tensor. The stress-energy tensor describes the energy and momentum distribution in spacetime, and the pseudotensor is used to calculate the gravitational effects of this distribution. It is a crucial component in solving Einstein's equations and understanding the dynamics of spacetime.