Except on a set of measure epsilon vs Almost Everywhere

In summary: F where F is a closed subset of E and E\F has measure less than epsilon. Is that still "almost almost everywhere"? It seems like a pretty clear-cut case of "almost almost everywhere," since it only fails to be continuous on a set of measure epsilon.In summary, the conversation discusses certain results in analysis that state a property holds everywhere except on a set of arbitrarily small measure, also known as "almost almost everywhere." The speaker questions why this cannot be simplified to just "almost everywhere" and provides an example of a function that is continuous nowhere in an interval but has continuous restrictions on subsets. The expert explains that in these theorems, "continuous on F" means the restriction of the function to F
lugita15
"Except on a set of measure epsilon" vs "Almost Everywhere"

There are certain results in analysis which say that a property P holds everywhere except on a set of arbitrarily small measure. In other words, for any epsilon you can find a set F of measure less than epsilon such that P holds everywhere except possibly on F. For convenience, I'll say that such a property P holds "almost almost everywhere." For instance, a measurable function is continuous almost almost everywhere, and a convergent sequence of measurable functions is uniformly convergent almost almost everywhere.

My question is, why aren't you allowed to go from "almost almost everywhere" to "almost everywhere"? Intuitively, this is how I'd expect things to work. For each k, let F_k be a set of measure less than 1/k, such that P holds everywhere except F_k. Then since the set Z of points on which P does not hold is a subset of F_k for each k, it follows that Z is a subset of the intersection of all the F_k. But clearly this intersection has measure zero, so Z has measure zero as well. Where is the error in my reasoning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think you misunderstood what these theorems you refer to actually say.
The theorem you mention about continuous functions does not say that for every measurable function f and every e > 0 , f is continuous everywhere outside a set of measure e, but it says that that given a measurable f, to every e > 0 there exists a continuous function f_e, which may depend upon e, such that f = f_e everywhere outside a set of measure e.
So, there are different continuous functions for different e(psilons), and there might not exist a continuous function that works for all epsilons.

Erland said:
The theorem you mention about continuous functions does not say that for every measurable function f and every e > 0 , f is continuous everywhere outside a set of measure e, but it says that that given a measurable f, to every e > 0 there exists a continuous function f_e, which may depend upon e, such that f = f_e everywhere outside a set of measure e.
Well, that's not how the result is stated in Wheeden and Zygmund. It says that if f is a measurable function defined on a measurable set E, then for any epsilon > 0 there exists a closed subset F of E such that |E-F| < epsilon and f is continuous on F. That seems to be a clear case of "almost almost everywhere."

lugita15 said:
Well, that's not how the result is stated in Wheeden and Zygmund. It says that if f is a measurable function defined on a measurable set E, then for any epsilon > 0 there exists a closed subset F of E such that |E-F| < epsilon and f is continuous on F. That seems to be a clear case of "almost almost everywhere."
For a moment, I thought I got confused (due to age, perhaps :smile: ).

However, there are subtleties here making it easy to go astray. In the theorem you mention "f is continuous on F" must be interpereted as "the restriction of f to F is continuous on F". It cannot be interpreted as "the original function f [being a function defined on E] is continuous at every point of F", because with the latter interpretation, the statement of the theorem is false for e.g. the function f defined on the interval [0,1] whose value is 0 for all rational numbers in the interval and 1 for all irrational numbers in the interval. This function is continuous nowhere in the interval, but the restriction to any subset of the irrationals in the interval is continuous. Since the set of rationals in the interval has measure 0, the conclusion of the theorem is true with the first interpretation.

So, we still have different functions for different epsilons, namely different restrictions of the original function.

Although it is so in the given example, it is not obviuos that there always must be a set F whose complement has measure zero such that the restriction of f to F is continuous on F. I am quite sure that it needs not be so, because otherwise someone would have proved such a theorem, but I cannot find any counterexample. Perhaps some of you people here know of one?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusin's_theorem.

Erland said:
For a moment, I thought I got confused (due to age, perhaps :smile: ).

However, there are subtleties here making it easy to go astray. In the theorem you mention "f is continuous on F" must be interpereted as "the restriction of f to F is continuous on F". It cannot be interpreted as "the original function f [being a function defined on E] is continuous at every point of F", because with the latter interpretation, the statement of the theorem is false for e.g. the function f defined on the interval [0,1] whose value is 0 for all rational numbers in the interval and 1 for all irrational numbers in the interval. This function is continuous nowhere in the interval, but the restriction to any subset of the irrationals in the interval is continuous. Since the set of rationals in the interval has measure 0, the conclusion of the theorem is true with the first interpretation.

So, we still have different functions for different epsilons, namely different restrictions of the original function.

Although it is so in the given example, it is not obviuos that there always must be a set F whose complement has measure zero such that the restriction of f to F is continuous on F. I am quite sure that it needs not be so, because otherwise someone would have proved such a theorem, but I cannot find any counterexample. Perhaps some of you people here know of one?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusin's_theorem.
OK, so the result is f is continuous relative to F, which is different from saying that it's continuous on the points is F.

So now my question is, if [itex]F_{1}\subset F_{2}\subset ... [/itex] and f is continuous relative to each [itex]F_{k}[/itex], then is f continuous relative to [itex]\bigcup F_{k}[/itex]?

lugita15 said:
So now my question is, if [itex]F_{1}\subset F_{2}\subset ... [/itex] and f is continuous relative to each [itex]F_{k}[/itex], then is f continuous relative to [itex]\bigcup F_{k}[/itex]?
No, and here it is much easier to find a counterexample. Let f(0)=0 and f(x)=1 for x>0. Let [itex]F_k=\{0\}\cup[1/k,1][/itex]. Then f is continuous relative to each [itex] F_k[/itex], but not relative to the union, which is [0,1], where 0 is a point of discontinuity.

That dosen't seem to help us to construct a counterexample in the situation in the previous posts, though.

Erland said:
No, and here it is much easier to find a counterexample. Let f(0)=0 and f(x)=1 for x>0. Let [itex]F_k=\{0\}\cup[1/k,1][/itex]. Then f is continuous relative to each [itex] F_k[/itex], but not relative to the union, which is [0,1], where 0 is a point of discontinuity.

That dosen't seem to help us to construct a counterexample in the situation in the previous posts, though.
OK, so that's where my argument breaks down. Now what about the other result I mentioned? If again [itex]F_{1}\subset F_{2}...[/itex], and [itex]\left\{f_{n}\right\}[/itex] is a sequence of functions which converges uniformly to f on each [itex]F_{k}[/itex], then does [itex]\left\{f_{n}\right\}[/itex] converge uniformly to f on [itex]\bigcup F_{k}[/itex]?

Still not true. Consider the functions on [0,1] with fk(1/k)=1, fk(x)=0 if x>2/k, and between 0 and 2/k fk forms a peak by increasing to 1 linearly then decreasing to 0. On each [1/n,1] the sequence converges uniformly to 0, but on the union, (0,1] each fk has a value of x for which fk(x)=1

Related to Except on a set of measure epsilon vs Almost Everywhere

What does "except on a set of measure epsilon" mean?

"Except on a set of measure epsilon" means that the statement or condition being discussed is true for all points except for a set of points whose total measure is less than or equal to epsilon (a very small number). In other words, the statement is almost always true, but there may be a few exceptions.

What is the difference between "except on a set of measure epsilon" and "almost everywhere"?

The terms "except on a set of measure epsilon" and "almost everywhere" are essentially interchangeable. They both refer to a statement or condition that is true for all points except for a set of points whose measure is very small (usually approaching zero). The only difference is that "almost everywhere" is a more common and concise way of expressing this idea.

Why is the concept of "almost everywhere" important in mathematics?

The concept of "almost everywhere" is important in mathematics because it allows us to make statements and prove theorems that are true for almost all points in a given space. This is useful because it allows us to generalize results and make conclusions that hold for a vast majority of cases, without having to consider every single point individually.

How is "almost everywhere" related to the concept of measure in mathematics?

The concept of "almost everywhere" is closely related to the concept of measure in mathematics. Measure is a mathematical tool used to assign a numerical value to sets of points in a space, and "almost everywhere" refers to a set of points whose measure is very small. This means that measure can be used to quantify the idea of "almost everywhere" and determine the size of the set of exceptions to a given statement or condition.

Can a statement be true "except on a set of measure epsilon" and still be considered true "almost everywhere"?

Yes, a statement can be true "except on a set of measure epsilon" and still be considered true "almost everywhere." This is because the set of points where the statement is not true has a measure of zero, which means it is a negligible exception. As long as the statement holds for almost all points, it can still be considered true "almost everywhere."