Exploring Stratified Manifolds: Insights from Julian Barbour's Research

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifolds
In summary, the author is discussing the concept of stratified space. He mentions a website that provides more information about the concept. He also plans to post a paper on the website explaining the concept of stratified space.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
hi, i encountered this term in julian barbour webpage and i will like it if someone can tell me more about them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is a differentiable 2-manifold with singularities that are also differentiable manifolds themselves

Perhaps there's some relationship with the objects known as stratified vector bundles? Sorry, I'm not an expert

loop quantum gravity said:
hi, i encountered this term in julian barbour webpage and i will like it if someone can tell me more about them?

I couldn't find this term on barbour's site or by googling. But knowing what he works on, by a "stratified" space he may have meant what is more commonly referred to as a "foliated" space, which roughly speaking is a space that has been expressed as a union of disjoint hypersurfaces, very much like a salami as a union of slices. In the context of the physics of spacetime, these hypersurfaces represent surfaces of simulteneity, with different observer's seeing the universe as being sliced up - foliated - in different ways. If this turns out not to be what he meant by "stratified", never mind. :smile:

jeff said:
I couldn't find this term on barbour's site or by googling.

http://www.qgravity.org/discussion/jb/

quote:"Second, the approach based on a 3D continuum and factoring out symmetries (which leads to consideration of stratified manifolds) really does seem to me to lead to a deep insight into the structure of relativity and gauge theory. "

I like stratified spacetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
On other hand, the (Fulton-MacPherson) stratification of configuration space is a very abstruse way to codify differential structure.

jeff said:
I couldn't find this term on barbour's site or by googling. But knowing what he works on, by a "stratified" space he may have meant what is more commonly referred to as a "foliated" space, which roughly speaking is a space that has been expressed as a union of disjoint hypersurfaces, very much like a salami as a union of slices. In the context of the physics of spacetime, these hypersurfaces represent surfaces of simulteneity, with different observer's seeing the universe as being sliced up - foliated - in different ways. If this turns out not to be what he meant by "stratified", never mind. :smile:
well let's see if we are speaking about the same page.
i was reffering to this website:
www.platonia.com in the link of ideas.

it was briefly described (i think this website is more promoting his book than provide explanations about his ideas).

http://www.platonia.com/ideas.html
I also plan to post on this website a paper explaining the rather brief remarks on p. 344 of my The End of Time about stratified manifolds, which are models of my central notion of Platonia (as explained in that book). Stratified manifolds occur widely in theoretical physics, and a question that has long interested me is the effect, if any, that the strata of these manifolds exert on classical dynamical trajectories and quantum wave functions defined on such manifolds.

Related to Exploring Stratified Manifolds: Insights from Julian Barbour's Research

1. What are stratified manifolds?

Stratified manifolds are mathematical structures that describe the possible configurations of a system at different points in time. They are used in the study of dynamics and can represent complex systems such as the universe.

2. Who is Julian Barbour and why is his research significant?

Julian Barbour is a British physicist and philosopher who has made significant contributions to the study of time and the nature of reality. His research on stratified manifolds has provided new insights into the foundations of physics and our understanding of the universe.

3. How does exploring stratified manifolds contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By exploring the possible configurations of a system over time, stratified manifolds allow us to better understand the dynamics of complex systems like the universe. They provide a framework for studying how the universe evolved and how it may continue to evolve in the future.

4. What are some practical applications of studying stratified manifolds?

Stratified manifolds have practical applications in fields such as cosmology, quantum mechanics, and computer science. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems, and have been applied to problems in areas such as engineering, finance, and biology.

5. Are there any limitations or controversies surrounding the use of stratified manifolds in research?

While stratified manifolds have proven to be a valuable tool in understanding complex systems, there is still ongoing debate and controversy surrounding their use. Some critics argue that they may not accurately represent the true nature of reality and that there are limitations to their applicability. However, many scientists continue to use and expand upon stratified manifolds in their research to gain further insights into the workings of the universe.