Fixing "Datasource Creation Error" in Genie 2000 w/ Virtualbox

• Thread starter Robert Dorr
  • Start date
In summary, the "Datasource Creation Error" in Genie 2000 with Virtualbox can be fixed by reinstalling Virtualbox and adjusting the settings of your virtual machine. If the error persists, updating to the latest version of Genie 2000 or contacting support may help. It is recommended to allocate enough resources to the virtual machine and check for updates regularly to prevent this error in the future.
Robert Dorr
I've been running a Genie 2000 system under native Windows XP Pro just fine. I want to run it in a virtual Windows XP Pro machine using Virtualbox. I've installed it in the virtual machine and when I use the MidWiz to create a new device it discovers my Lynx MCA properly. When I try to open the new device using "Open Datasource" in the "Gamma Acquisition & Analysis" application, I get the error "Datasource Creation Error". It never finds any device I have created using MidWiz. I've noticed also that it doesn't seem to keep any changes I've made to the "Gamma Acquisition & Analysis" window, although in my native XP system that works properly, it does. What file is attempting to be accessed when the "Open Datasource" command is executed in the "Gamma Acquisition" application? Any suggestions and information would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'll reply to my own question. I solved my problem in a roundabout manner. I decided to give VMWare a try and low and behold it worked. It appears to be in the way they handle their parallel port emulation. The Genie 2K uses a parallel port authorization dongle and apparently it doesn't like the way that Virtualbox takes care of the parallel port. Anyway, it's all working fine now.

Thanks

for sharing your experience with running the Genie 2000 system on Windows XP Pro and trying to set it up on a virtual machine using Virtualbox. It sounds like you have successfully installed the system in the virtual machine, but are encountering errors when trying to open a new device using the "Open Datasource" command in the "Gamma Acquisition & Analysis" application. It's possible that the virtual machine is not able to access the necessary files or settings for the application to function properly.

One potential solution could be to check the settings and permissions for the virtual machine to ensure it has access to the necessary files and resources. You may also want to try reinstalling the Genie 2000 system in the virtual machine to see if that helps resolve the issue.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consult the user manual or documentation for the Genie 2000 system to see if there are any specific instructions or troubleshooting steps for running it on a virtual machine.

I hope this helps and that you are able to successfully run the Genie 2000 system on your virtual Windows XP Pro machine. If you continue to encounter issues, you may also want to reach out to the manufacturer or a technical support team for further assistance. Best of luck!

Related to Fixing "Datasource Creation Error" in Genie 2000 w/ Virtualbox

1. How do I fix the "Datasource Creation Error" in Genie 2000 with Virtualbox?

The most common cause of this error is an issue with the installation or configuration of Virtualbox. Try reinstalling Virtualbox and make sure you have the latest version. You may also need to adjust the settings of your virtual machine to allocate more resources to it.

2. Can I fix this error without reinstalling Virtualbox?

In some cases, simply restarting the virtual machine may fix the issue. If that does not work, you can try adjusting the settings of your virtual machine or repairing the Virtualbox installation.

3. What if I am still getting the error after reinstalling Virtualbox?

If the error persists after reinstalling Virtualbox, there may be an issue with the Genie 2000 software itself. Try updating to the latest version or contacting the Genie 2000 support team for assistance.

4. Is there a specific configuration required for Virtualbox to work with Genie 2000?

Yes, Virtualbox should be configured to use at least 2 GB of RAM and 2 CPUs for optimal performance with Genie 2000. You may also need to enable virtualization technology in your computer's BIOS settings.

5. How can I prevent this error from occurring in the future?

To prevent the "Datasource Creation Error" from happening in the future, regularly check for updates to Virtualbox and Genie 2000. It is also recommended to allocate enough resources to your virtual machine and to ensure that your computer's BIOS settings are properly configured.