Fourier series summation in David Griffiths' textbook

In summary, Fourier series summation is a mathematical technique used to represent periodic functions as an infinite sum of sine and cosine terms. This method is described in detail in David Griffiths' textbook, where he explains how to calculate the Fourier coefficients and use them to construct the Fourier series. The Fourier series has many practical applications, including signal processing and solving differential equations, making it a fundamental tool in mathematics and physics.
sydfloyd

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework question, but something I've been wanting to know out of curiosity in David Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics.

On pages 131 and 132, there is a Fourier series,

[tex]V(x,y) = \frac{4V_0}{\pi}\sum_{n=1,3,5...}\frac{1}{n}e^{\frac{-n \pi x}{a}}\sin{\frac{n \pi y}{a}}[/tex]

The author then says that the series can be rewritten as

[tex]V(x,y) = \frac{2V_0}{\pi} \arctan{\frac{\sin{\frac{\pi y}{a}}}{\sinh{\frac{\pi x}{a}}}}[/tex]

The author says "the infinite series ... can be summed explicitly (try your hand at it, if you like) ..." so I got curious and decided to take a shot at it.

I have been trying to figure out how to get this result all day, but after a few sheets of paper, I am still lost... Any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. I have not taken a course on complex analysis.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sin{u} = \frac{e^{iu}-e^{-iu}}{2i}[/tex]
[tex]\sinh{u} = \frac{e^{u}-e^{-u}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\arctan{u} = \frac{i}{2}\ln{\frac{1-iu}{1+iu}}[/tex]
[tex]\arctan{u} = \sum_{n=0}^{\inf} \frac{(-1)^n}{2n+1} u^{2n+1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of these summations are done using clever applications of the Taylor expansion for the logarithm:

[tex]\ln (1 + z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n} z^n[/tex]

Notice that your Fourier series has a 1/n in it. However, in your case, n is odd! So you'll have to play a bit with the formulas to get a series with only odd coefficients. Notice that

[tex]\ln (1+z^2)[/tex]

will give a series with only even terms. Also, you can use Euler's formula

[tex]e^{a+ib} = e^a \cos b + i e^a \sin b[/tex]

and so in particular, you can take the imaginary part:

[tex]\Im \left[ e^{a+ib} \right] = e^a \sin b[/tex]

So why don't you play around with those things and see if you can sum the series.

The solution is presented starting on page 3 of
http://academics.smcvt.edu/abrizard/EM/separation_two.pdf

Related to Fourier series summation in David Griffiths' textbook

1. What is a Fourier series summation?

A Fourier series summation is a mathematical technique used to represent periodic functions as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is named after the mathematician Joseph Fourier and is commonly used in fields such as signal processing, engineering, and physics.

2. Why is Fourier series summation important?

Fourier series summation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand complex periodic functions by breaking them down into simpler components. It also has practical applications in fields such as signal processing, where it is used to filter and manipulate signals.

3. How is Fourier series summation used in David Griffiths' textbook?

In David Griffiths' textbook, Fourier series summation is used to analyze the behavior of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, and to understand how they can be represented as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is also used to explain concepts such as Fourier transforms and diffraction.

4. What are the limitations of Fourier series summation?

One limitation of Fourier series summation is that it can only be applied to periodic functions. It also has difficulty representing functions with sharp discontinuities or singularities. Additionally, it requires an infinite number of terms to accurately represent a function, which can be computationally expensive.

5. Are there any real-life applications of Fourier series summation?

Yes, Fourier series summation has numerous real-life applications. It is used in the analysis and design of circuits, in the study of heat transfer and vibrations, and in signal processing and image reconstruction. It is also used in music and audio production to manipulate and enhance sound signals.