Geology: the environments of some sediments

• Thread starter Asmaa Mohammad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    geology
In summary: The first answer is right. I'm not sure, but I think the other two are switched. You usually think of fine grained rocks as an indication of river erosional sediment.But the base contains gravel and boulders which suggest high energy as in a river not an aerobic environment, right?Like I said, I'm not sure.Boulders can be found in river environments, but typically are not associated with river environments. With the mix of gravels, tree trunks, boulders you're looking at an aerobic environment near the source of those sediments. Typically you'll find the boulders and cobble and gravel sized piece near where they weathered and eroded off the source rock, also in gl
Asmaa Mohammad

Homework Statement

During a visit to mountainous area, students noticed a high mountain consists of 3 different parts: The top of the mountain consists of fossiliferous limestone. The middle of the mountain consists of fine grained rocks. The foot of the mountain consists of thick layers of boulder, gravel and tree trunks.

Which of those parts belongs to a marine environment? And which belongs to an aerobic environment? And which belongs to a river environment?

The Attempt at a Solution

The top (fossiliferous limestone) -----> marine environment
The middle (fine grained rocks) -----> aerobic environment.
The base (boulder, gravel and tree trunks -----> River environment.
Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first answer is right. I'm not sure, but I think the other two are switched. You usually think of fine grained rocks as an indication of river erosional sediment.

Chestermiller said:
The first answer is right. I'm not sure, but I think the other two are switched. You usually think of fine grained rocks as an indication of river erosional sediment.
But the base contains gravel and boulders which suggest high energy as in a river not an aerobic environment, right?

Asmaa Mohammad said:
But the base contains gravel and boulders which suggest high energy as in a river not an aerobic environment, right?
Like I said, I'm not sure.

Boulders can be found in river environments, but typically are not associated with river environments. With the mix of gravels, tree trunks, boulders you're looking at an aerobic environment near the source of those sediments. Typically you'll find the boulders and cobble and gravel sized piece near where they weathered and eroded off the source rock, also in glacial moraines. Rivers have to be extremely high energy to transport that type of large sediment. Your fine grained sands are going to be more river environments. And since they mentioned fine grained sands it's more likely a meandering or an anastomosing river which are lower energy.

Likes Asmaa Mohammad
My bet is that the question wants you to eliminate two obvious things (marine & river), and then whatever is left must be a third pair.

Related to Geology: the environments of some sediments

1. What is the study of geology?

Geology is the study of the Earth's physical structure, history, and processes. It involves examining the materials that make up the Earth, the structures and formations found on its surface, and the changes that occur over time.

2. What are sediments?

Sediments are small particles of rock, mineral, or organic material that have been broken down by weathering and erosion and transported by wind, water, or ice. They can range in size from tiny grains of sand to large boulders.

3. How are sedimentary environments formed?

Sedimentary environments are formed when sediments are deposited and then compacted and cemented together to form sedimentary rocks. These environments can be terrestrial, such as deserts or rivers, or marine, such as oceans or lakes.

4. What are the different types of sedimentary rocks?

There are three main types of sedimentary rocks: clastic, chemical, and organic. Clastic rocks are formed from the accumulation of sediments, chemical rocks are formed from the precipitation of minerals, and organic rocks are formed from the accumulation of organic material.

5. How do geologists use sedimentary environments to interpret Earth's history?

Geologists use sedimentary environments to interpret the Earth's history by examining the type and distribution of sediments and sedimentary rocks. Different environments can indicate different past conditions, such as climate, sea level, and tectonic activity.