Graduate seeking new career guidance

In summary, Carl is considering going to different schools to get a robotics degree. He is interested in attending Cal Poly Pomona, but he doesn't have an undergraduate in the sciences, so he can't go there. He is viewing MIT courseware and is considering applying to their robotics program.
eightyman
Hey there guys, I am a semi recent graduate from UCLA with a film and tv degree and fine arts degree, dbl major, and i have been going back to school at pasadena city college taking my math and physics courses. I initially wanted to go back to school for physics because of my fascination but ultimately I have to be realistic because my grades are not top notch. I'm dyslexic and I love doing arts and photo, here is my website so you can see my work, www.republicofla.com . I've been interested in robotics and rovers recently And I'm looking at a cal state la program in electrical engineering or mechanical. I don't know exactly how to do this but because they don't have a robotics emphasis except for mechanical engineering... A UAV program and electrical engineering... Controls or maybe do systems engineering, so what I'm doing is, I've been dabbling in learning robotics from this textbook https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1846286417/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I would like to someday design a rover or some type of mobile robot that deal with more commercial use than industrial... And tips on direction to this long career path would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you swing Cal Poly Pomona? They have a stronger program than CSU-LA. Also, do ANYTHING you can to get an internship at JPL. Try and try and keep trying. That experience will matter more than your alma matter when you start looking for jobs.

Good luck!

Hi there Carl, thanks and i hope you are doing good! I've thought of the different school programs but because I don't have an undergraduate in the sciences, I can not attend cal poly P. and I already have loans out as an undergrad. going as an undergraduate to cal poly will not work out for me because i need to get loans to attend school again, but however csula will accept me as a full time student and the program is not as expensive as many tech schools. I have thought about it and it does not bother me that I cannot not attend to a school with a better program. I am currently viewing MIT courseware and Thank the gods for the Internet and the free MIT courses in robotics. I will apply to those programs at jpl! And do my own research! Thanks!

Related to Graduate seeking new career guidance

1. What is the best way to start my search for a new career?

The best way to start your search for a new career is to first identify your interests, skills, and values. This will help you narrow down your options and focus on industries and positions that align with your strengths and passions. You can also reach out to your network, attend job fairs, and utilize online job search platforms to explore different opportunities.

2. How can I make my resume stand out to potential employers?

To make your resume stand out, highlight your most relevant skills and experiences for the position you are applying for. Use keywords from the job description and tailor your resume to each specific job application. Additionally, consider including any relevant certifications, projects, or internships that demonstrate your qualifications and dedication to the field.

3. What are some effective ways to prepare for a job interview?

Some effective ways to prepare for a job interview include researching the company and the position, practicing common interview questions, and preparing examples of how your skills and experiences align with the job requirements. It is also important to dress professionally, arrive early, and bring a copy of your resume and any other necessary documents.

4. Is it beneficial to network when seeking a new career?

Networking can be highly beneficial when seeking a new career. It allows you to make connections with professionals in your desired industry, learn about job opportunities, and gain valuable insights and advice. Attend industry events, join professional organizations, and utilize online platforms such as LinkedIn to expand your network.

5. How can I stay motivated during my job search?

Staying motivated during a job search can be challenging, but it is important to remain positive and persistent. Set achievable goals for yourself, take breaks when needed, and remind yourself of your strengths and qualifications. It can also be helpful to seek support from friends, family, or a career coach who can provide encouragement and guidance.