Have you heard anything about AstroTech's low-cost Ritchey-Chrétien scopes?

• Thread starter chemisttree
  • Start date
In summary, the AstroTech 6" f/9 for around $1,300 is a good option for a small APO scope, and the 8" f/9 for around $3,000 is a better option if you plan to use the scope for visual observing. Collimation can be a problem with these scopes, but anyone experienced with them should be able to solve it.
chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
AstroTech has an f/9 6" for around $1,300 and an f/9, 8" for $3,000. Anyone heard anything bad about these? I've been pretty impressed with AT's products so far... my AT80ED APO is pretty nice for the price and would make a good guider for something like this. I've heard that collimation can be a problem with RC scopes. Any experience with them?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't know of anybody yet who has posted reviews on this scope. It appears to lack the back-focus for any sort of visual observing (unless perhaps you can view without a diagonal). That aside, if you're serious about DSLR astrophotography you might be pleased with this OTA.

Lots of folks getting into astrophotography these days are using small APOs with fast focal ratios, and some are getting extremely impressive results. Look what Greg Parker can do with a Sky 90.

http://www.newforestobservatory.com/

I posted this before I looked on Cloudy Nights for info. The scopes appear to be brand new and no one has one yet. The one review (if you can call it that) used the prototype... and there are pics as well.

See http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...age/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/2/vc/1". Backfocus appears to long enough for visual, if you can believe the pic.

That Tak as well as others were on my list. Thanks for the website, definitely food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
That Tak as well as others were on my list. Thanks for the website, definitely food for thought.
You're welcome! Greg (imager) and Noel Carboni (image processor) are members of an astronomy forum that I'm on, and they have an incredible astrophotography image book in the works. They have produced so many APODs that I have lost count!

Greg is pulling off stuff with the Sky 90 that I could never have accomplished with my 6" Astro-Physics APO during the film days. I've got a couple of Canon 30Ds, and after I've reconciled some financial doldrums (unemployed due to medical disability) I hope to house that instrument in a roll-off-roof observatory and jump into digital astrophotography.

Related to Have you heard anything about AstroTech's low-cost Ritchey-Chrétien scopes?

1. What is a Low cost Ritchey-Chrétien telescope?

A Low cost Ritchey-Chrétien (RC) telescope is a type of reflecting telescope that uses two hyperbolic mirrors to gather and focus light. It is known for its high-quality images and is commonly used in professional astronomy.

2. How is a Low cost Ritchey-Chrétien telescope different from other telescopes?

A Low cost RC telescope has a wider field of view and produces sharper images compared to other types of telescopes. It also has a larger focal length, making it ideal for observing faint and distant objects in the night sky.

3. What are the benefits of a Low cost Ritchey-Chrétien telescope?

The main benefit of a Low cost RC telescope is its high optical performance at a relatively low cost. It also has a compact design, making it easier to transport and set up compared to other large telescopes. Additionally, the hyperbolic mirrors eliminate spherical aberration, resulting in crisp and clear images.

4. Can a Low cost Ritchey-Chrétien telescope be used for astrophotography?

Yes, a Low cost RC telescope is commonly used for astrophotography due to its superior image quality and wide field of view. However, it may require additional accessories such as a field flattener or coma corrector for optimal results.

5. Are there any disadvantages to a Low cost Ritchey-Chrétien telescope?

One potential disadvantage of a Low cost RC telescope is its longer focal length, which may require a larger mount and more precise tracking for stable viewing. Additionally, the hyperbolic mirrors can be difficult to manufacture, resulting in a higher price compared to other types of telescopes.