An interesting motorcycle travel blog

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder what that thing is...

1715183887309.png

Likes phinds
berkeman said:

View attachment 344772
If I remember correctly (it's hard to find the original photo among the 165 pages ) Margus & Karina (the bloggers) didn't know either. But a google search for 'sticks in building walls in africa' turned up this. It's a town hall in Mali, and 'the wooden poles that poke out of the sides of the buildings are used instead of ladders to make it easier for masons to climb up and down the buidings during construction and reconstuction.'

Edit: it's a mosque.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes BillTre and berkeman
berkeman said:
My guess would be that it is a Muslim minaret. The loudspeaker, visible on one wall, would be used for the call to prayer, reducing the need for the muezzin to ascend and descend the structure five times each day.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adhan

The shape of the structure is designed to shed water from the mud surface if, or when, it rains. The sticks are the permanent access for construction and maintenance.

One interesting thing to look for, if you ever have the opportunity, would be a specific endemic soil algae or similar, that grows in the damp mud. That gives the mud structure, and makes the structure hydrophobic.

• Informative
Likes BillTre, docnet and berkeman
i really love it !!