HELP: Orthogonal Trajectories

In summary, the orthogonal trajectory of x^2+y^2=cx^3 can be expressed in the form $F(x,y)=k$ where $k$ is the inverse reciprocal slope of the equation. If you multiply this equation by (1/y^2)/(1/y^2), you will get it in the same format as the family of curves given.
Pull and Twist
Trying to figure out the orthogonal trajectory of x^2 + y^2=cx^3

Here's what I got... but it does not match the books answer. I don't know where I am going wrong. I think I was able to differentiate the equation correctly in order to get the inverted reciprocal slope and then I may have flubbed it trying to integrate. I ended up going from dy/dx to dx/dy so that I can get it in a format I can work with and used the Bernoulli method to integrate. Where did I go wrong?

View attachment 5504

Attachments

• mathhelp.jpg
    mathhelp.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 62
Physics news on Phys.org
We are given the family of curves:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=cx^3\)

First, we want to express this family in the form $F(x,y)=k$:

\(\displaystyle x^{-1}+x^{-3}y^2=c\tag{1}\)

If can be shown that the orthogonal trajectories of (1) will satisfy:

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}=\frac{F_y}{F_x}=\frac{2x^{-3}y}{-x^{-2}-3x^{-4}y^2}=-\frac{2\dfrac{x}{y}}{\left(\dfrac{x}{y}\right)^2+3}\)

Now you have a first-order homogeneous ODE to solve...can you continue?

MarkFL said:
We are given the family of curves:

\(\displaystyle x^2+y^2=cx^3\)

First, we want to express this family in the form $F(x,y)=k$:

\(\displaystyle x^{-1}+x^{-3}y^2=c\tag{1}\)

If can be shown that the orthogonal trajectories of (1) will satisfy:

\(\displaystyle \d{y}{x}=\frac{F_y}{F_x}=\frac{2x^{-3}y}{-x^{-2}-3x^{-4}y^2}=-\frac{2\dfrac{x}{y}}{\left(\dfrac{x}{y}\right)^2+3}\)

Now you have a first-order homogeneous ODE to solve...can you continue?

Well I'll be ****ed... didn't even spot that... and all I had to do was multiply my OT equation by (1/y^2)/(1/y^2) to get it in that same format. I can definitely solve a first-order homogeneous ODE much more efficiently then the mess I was working with.

Related to HELP: Orthogonal Trajectories

1. What are orthogonal trajectories?

Orthogonal trajectories are a set of curves that intersect at right angles. In other words, they are curves that are perpendicular to each other at every point of intersection.

2. Why are orthogonal trajectories important?

Orthogonal trajectories are important in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, mathematics, and engineering. They are used to solve differential equations and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of various systems.

3. How do you find the orthogonal trajectories of a given curve?

To find the orthogonal trajectories of a given curve, you need to first find the slope of the given curve at a point. Then, take the negative reciprocal of that slope and use it as the slope of the orthogonal trajectory. Repeat this process for all points on the given curve to find all the orthogonal trajectories.

4. Can orthogonal trajectories exist for any type of curve?

No, orthogonal trajectories can only exist for certain types of curves, such as circles, parabolas, and hyperbolas. These curves have specific properties that allow for the existence of orthogonal trajectories.

5. How can orthogonal trajectories be applied in real-world situations?

Orthogonal trajectories can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in the design of electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and heat transfer. They can also be used in the study of natural phenomena, such as the motion of planets and the behavior of waves.