How to deal with MCNP stack overflow

• Thread starter scu-mxy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp
In summary, the conversation revolved around the use of different versions of a library and the potential issues that can arise with newer features. It also ended on a positive note with someone sharing their success story and encouraging others to never give up on their dreams.
scu-mxy
TL;DR Summary
Before I change the neutron cross section library, the program can run normally. So I believe My input file is fine. I have used MPICH to speed up the calculation. My computer has 16G RAM, how can I solve this problem
mistake.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you using the ASCII version of the library or the binary version? What library?

If your library is too new, it can crash older versions of the code. New features (tables) in the libraries can lead to weird even negative indices into the cross section data. Memory access is then attempted outside the program space. I've not seen this explicitly with 5. I learned my lesson with 4.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

"Hey everyone! I just wanted to share some exciting news with you all. I landed my dream job at a top company and I couldn't be happier. It just goes to show that hard work and determination really do pay off. Don't give up on your dreams, keep pushing forward!"

Congratulations on landing your dream job! That is truly amazing and inspiring. Your hard work and determination are definitely paying off and it's great to see it all come to fruition. Thank you for sharing your success story with us and reminding us to never give up on our dreams. Wishing you all the best in your new job!

Related to How to deal with MCNP stack overflow

1. What is MCNP stack overflow?

MCNP stack overflow is an error that occurs when the amount of data being processed by the Monte Carlo N-Particle (MCNP) code exceeds the available memory space allocated for it. This can cause the program to crash or produce inaccurate results.

2. What causes MCNP stack overflow?

MCNP stack overflow can be caused by several factors, including large and complex models, high-energy particles, and inadequate memory allocation. It can also be a result of errors in the input file or improper use of MCNP features.

3. How can I prevent MCNP stack overflow?

To prevent MCNP stack overflow, it is important to carefully design your model and input file. This includes simplifying the geometry, using appropriate settings for particle energies, and ensuring that the memory allocation is sufficient for the size of your model. It is also recommended to use the latest version of MCNP, as newer versions often have improved memory management.

4. What should I do if I encounter MCNP stack overflow?

If you encounter MCNP stack overflow, you can try increasing the memory allocation or simplifying your model. You can also check for errors in your input file or consult the MCNP user manual for troubleshooting tips. If the problem persists, you may need to seek assistance from experienced MCNP users or the MCNP support team.

5. Is MCNP stack overflow a common issue?

MCNP stack overflow can occur in certain situations, but it is not a common issue if the model and input file are designed properly. With careful planning and optimization, MCNP stack overflow can be avoided in most cases.