How to derive Euler DE for n=0

In summary, the conversation discusses the Euler equation and its solution, which is y=x^m. The three cases with different solutions are mentioned, but there is a question about what happens when n=0. The solution y=C_1 ln(x) + C_2 is given as the answer, with a hint to derive it using the power rule for differentiation. The conversation also mentions that the euler type equation can be converted to an equation with constant coefficients by substituting t=ln(x) as the independent variable. It is noted that solutions for the Euler type equation will involve both e^{mln(x)}=e^{x^m}=x^m and ln(x)x^m.
yungman
[itex] x^2 y'' + x y' + n^2 y = 0 \;[/itex] Is Euler equation and solution is [itex] y=x^m[/itex]

I understand the three cases with different solution. But my question is if n=0.

If I use [itex] y=x^m \;\Rightarrow\; m(m-1)+m=0 \;\Rightarrow m^2 = 0 \;\Rightarrow m=0[/itex]

That would not work. I know the answer is [itex] y=C_1 ln(x) + C_2 [/itex]

Can anyone show me or give me hint how to derive this, I can't find it in my book.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I got it, I tried to delete this post and can't. Moderator, please delete the entire thread for me.

Thanks

Just as a general rule of thumb, any time you get a solution of x0 that isn't really a solution, you should check to see if ln(x) is a solution. ln(x) differentiates with respect to the power rule in the way that x0 is "supposed to" (i.e. give x-1)

Office_Shredder said:
Just as a general rule of thumb, any time you get a solution of x0 that isn't really a solution, you should check to see if ln(x) is a solution. ln(x) differentiates with respect to the power rule in the way that x0 is "supposed to" (i.e. give x-1)

Yeh, right after I posted, I remember getting the second solution by reduction of order!

Note, by the way, that the euler type equation, [itex]a_nx^n y^{(n)}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_1x y'+ a_0y= f(x)[/itex]
can be converted to an equation with constant coefficients by substituting t= ln(x) as independent variable.

Since, if m is a double root of the characteristic equation for an equation with constant coefficients, the solution involves both [itex]e^{mt}[/itex] and [itex]te^{mt}[/itex], solutions for the Euler type equation will involve [itex]e^{mln(x)}= e^{x^m}= x^m[/itex] and [itex]ln(x)x^m[/itex].

Related to How to derive Euler DE for n=0

1. What is the Euler differential equation for n=0?

The Euler differential equation for n=0 is simply y' = 0. This means that the derivative of the function y with respect to its independent variable is equal to 0.

2. How is the Euler differential equation derived for n=0?

The Euler differential equation for n=0 can be derived by setting n=0 in the general form of the Euler differential equation, y' = n*y. This results in y' = 0, the equation for n=0.

3. What is the significance of n=0 in the Euler differential equation?

The value of n=0 signifies that the function y is a constant. This means that the slope of the function is 0, and the function remains the same at every point along the curve.

4. How is the Euler differential equation for n=0 used in scientific research?

The Euler differential equation for n=0 is used in scientific research as a simple model for certain physical systems. It is also used as a building block for more complex differential equations and mathematical models.

5. Can the Euler differential equation for n=0 be solved analytically?

Yes, the Euler differential equation for n=0 can be solved analytically. Since the derivative of the function y is equal to 0, the solution is simply a constant function y = C, where C is any real number.