How to find the derivate of this function ?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, we discussed how to find the derivative of a function with a radical using the power rule, chain rule, and product rule. We simplified the equation and arrived at the final derivative of:f'(x)=\frac{1}{m+n}(1+x)^{-\frac{m}{m+n}}(1-x)^{-\frac{n}{m+n}}\left(n-m-(m+n)x\right)
Yankel
Hello all

I am interested in finding the derivative of the following function:

\[f(x)=)\sqrt[m+n]{(1-x)^{m}\cdot (1+x)^{n}}\]Can you please assist ? I tried transforming the root into 1 power of 1/m+n, but got stuck quite afterwards.

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the first thing I would do is convert from radical notation to rational power:

\(\displaystyle f(x)=\left((1-x)^m(1+x)^n\right)^{\frac{1}{m+n}}\)

Next...to proceed with the differentiation w.r.t $x$, we need to apply the power rule, and the chain rule, which will involve the product/power rules.

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{1}{m+n}\left((1-x)^m(1+x)^n\right)^{\frac{1}{m+n}-1}\frac{d}{dx}\left(1-x)^m(1+x)^n\right)\)

So, let's turn our attention to:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(1-x)^m(1+x)^n\right)\)

What do you get when you apply the product/power/chain rules?

I get this :

\[n\cdot \left ( 1+x \right )^{n-1}\cdot \left ( 1-x \right )^{m}-m\cdot \left ( 1+x \right )^{n}\cdot \left ( 1-x \right )^{m-1}\]inner derivative.

Okay, so what we have now is:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{1}{m+n}\left((1-x)^m(1+x)^n\right)^{\frac{1}{m+n}-1}\left(n(1+x)^{n-1}(1-x)^m-m(1+x)^n(1-x)^{m-1}\right)\)

And with some factoring, we have:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{1}{m+n}\left((1-x)^m(1+x)^n\right)^{\frac{1}{m+n}-1}(1+x)^{n-1}(1-x)^{m-1}\left(n(1-x)-m(1+x)\right)\)

Using the rules of exponents, we can then write:

\(\displaystyle f'(x)=\frac{1}{m+n}(1+x)^{-\frac{m}{m+n}}(1-x)^{-\frac{n}{m+n}}\left(n-m-(m+n)x\right)\)

Related to How to find the derivate of this function ?

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In other words, it measures the slope of a function at a specific point.

2. How do I find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you need to use a specific formula called the derivative formula. This formula involves taking the limit of the function as the independent variable approaches a specific value. There are also various rules and techniques that can be used to simplify the process of finding the derivative.

3. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function is a crucial tool in calculus and is used to solve many real-world problems. It allows us to understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change, which is important in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can any function have a derivative?

No, not every function has a derivative. A function must be continuous and have a defined slope at each point in order to have a derivative. Functions with sharp corners or discontinuities do not have derivatives at those points.

5. Is there a shortcut to finding the derivative of a function?

Yes, there are various rules and techniques that can be used to simplify the process of finding the derivative. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules can make finding the derivative of a function easier and more efficient.