HVD: Holographic Versatile Disc

In summary: This would explain why they're saying that the HVD can store up to 3.9 terrabytes of data, as opposed to the 2.8 that regular CDs and DVDs can.
Couperin
Has anyone here heard about the new data storage medium that is being researched? Apparently it'll be able to store up to 3.9 terrabytes of data, which is insane.

Anyway, I checked out this article on Wikipedia to see how it worked...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Discs

...and I don't quite get it.

Here's what I can gather... there are two layers on the HVD, one which is read by red laser light and contains 'servo' data, and above this is a layer with normal data on it, read by a green-blue light. The red light passes through the normal data layer, so there's no interference or other weirdness.

But what I don't get it... how does simply storing servo data on a separate layer manage to free up 3.9 TERRABYTES of data? The green-blue light has a longer wavelength than the blue laser light used to read Blu-ray discs, and they can't store anything near the amount as HVDs will.

So what's going on? And what *exactly* is servo data?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Your answer lies in the very first paragraph of the Wiki article:

Wikipedia said:
It employs a technique known as collinear holography, whereby two lasers, one red and one blue-green, are collimated in a single beam. The blue-green laser reads data encoded as laser interference fringes from a holographic layer near the top of the disc while the red laser is used as the reference beam and to read servo information from a regular CD-style aluminium layer near the bottom. Servo information is used to monitor the position of the read head over the disc, similar to the head, track, and sector information on a conventional hard disk drive. On a CD or DVD this servo information is interspersed amongst the data.

It would seem to me that the advantage of having the servo information on a different layer is it doesn't take up space on the data layer, making it possible to store more "real" data on a layer.

Yes, I have heard about the Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and its potential for storing large amounts of data. It is definitely an exciting development in the field of data storage.

From what I understand, the HVD works by using holographic technology to store data in three dimensions, rather than the traditional two-dimensional storage used in CDs and DVDs. This allows for a much higher storage capacity.

As for the servo data, it is essentially information that helps the laser locate and read the data on the disc. By separating it onto a separate layer, it allows for more space to be used for storing actual data. This, along with the use of a longer wavelength for reading the data, is what allows for the significantly higher storage capacity.

I'm not an expert on the technical details, but I believe the use of holographic technology and the separation of servo data are the key factors in the increased storage capacity of HVDs. It will be interesting to see how this technology develops and how it will impact data storage in the future.

Related to HVD: Holographic Versatile Disc

What is HVD: Holographic Versatile Disc?

HVD is a next-generation optical disc technology that has the potential to store significantly more data than traditional discs. It uses holographic technology to record data in three dimensions, allowing for a much higher storage capacity.

How much data can an HVD store?

The current prototype of HVD can store up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of data, which is equivalent to about 800 DVDs. However, with further advancements in technology, it is expected to eventually hold up to 10 TB of data.

What are the benefits of using HVD?

HVD offers a much higher storage capacity compared to traditional optical discs, making it ideal for storing large amounts of data such as high-definition videos or massive databases. It also has a longer lifespan and is more resistant to damage and degradation.

How does HVD work?

HVD uses a laser to record data onto a photosensitive medium in the form of a hologram. This hologram is then read by another laser to retrieve the data. The three-dimensional nature of the hologram allows for a much higher storage capacity compared to traditional discs, which only record data on a single layer.

Is HVD compatible with current disc drives?

No, HVD is not compatible with current disc drives as it requires specialized hardware to read and write data. However, it is possible to create hybrid drives that can read both traditional discs and HVDs, making it easier for the transition to this new technology.