I was wondering how English letters are standardized

LightningInAJar
There are countless fonts that are largely recognizable as English letters and arabic numbers, but does someone write a standard for how the letters are to look officially that other letterings would be based on? Line thicknesses to space between them and direction, etc? I was looking at various digital segment displays and was wondering if letters are standardized more than replicating loosely from a table of letters handed down over generations?

Science news on Phys.org
Have you done any research on this?

Likes Vanadium 50
phinds said:
Yes. Not sure what exactly to look for at this point.

LightningInAJar said:
Yes. Not sure what exactly to look for at this point.
Probably because you are wasting your time. There is no standard.

There are standard FONTS that are in wide-spread use, but that's the best you are going to do. Letters just evolved from squiggles, like people from fish, and like people, there is no standard.

phinds said:
Of course not. Look who posted it.

phinds said:
you are wasting your time
It's not his time he's wasting. :smile:

[Mentor Note: Post edited to remove a mild insult.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital and printed materials form letters using fonts, as previously mentioned.

Depending on your operating system and browser, you can set which fonts, and letter size and shape, you prefer to read digital text. Explore settings to identify and select available fonts.

Printed materials such as bound books often provide explanatory material about the font or typeface used to print the text in a foreword or rear appendix. I have read books so interesting and well presented that I also read about the font in the rear addendum. You can do the same.

If you have an interest in how letters were formed, there are many books describing the history of writing. If you want to learn to draw letters, study books and videos on calligraphy.

Likes LightningInAJar and BillTre
LightningInAJar said:
Yes.
What have you found in your research?

I would have said it has a Phoenician origin. But I have no idea where to find their probably commercial standards.

In Germany, it is regulated in DIN 16518.
(DIN = Deutsche Industrienorm = German industry norm)

Last edited:
Likes LightningInAJar