Is a Scientific Writing Course Necessary for Science Majors?

In summary, this course would help science majors develop writing skills that are applicable to their field of study. However, the lack of data makes it difficult to prove how helpful the course would be.
vgplayer
For my second writing GenED at Towson University I have to develop a proposal. I am proposing a scientific writing course designed the help science majors with writing journals and researching. The idea is to take this before advance lab classes. Problem is I can't find any data to support how this will help students. I have plenty of syllabi from other schools to design the course but no data.

Any thoughts about this topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
vgplayer said:
For my second writing GenED at Towson University I have to develop a proposal. I am proposing a scientific writing course designed the help science majors with writing journals and researching. The idea is to take this before advance lab classes. Problem is I can't find any data to support how this will help students. I have plenty of syllabi from other schools to design the course but no data.

You can't find any data to support the idea that a course in writing journal articles and writing research reports helps students? It sure seems intuitive. Maybe talk to a few professors who write such articles and have student researchers helping them. They may have some ideas that could help you in your proposal.

vgplayer said:
Where and at what levels have you been looking? Have you combed through education journals on jstor and looked at high school and elementary ed?

At my school for gen ed you need College Writing (composition) and Intro to literature. Then you need one additional course. They offer a class called Special Topics in XXXX. It's designed to teach students how to write for a specific field. They have this ST class in business, psychology, and engineering as well as others.

Nothing for science and math majors outside of engineering. I plan on taking the engineering one next fall. The problem is that the professors are your general writing teachers none of them are exactly experienced in writing for engineering or other subjects.

I think its a very good idea. Learn how to write something that will be directly useful for you and your career.

Anyway I just wanted to put in my experiences, you should be able to find some opinions from schools that have similar courses.

berkeman said:
You can't find any data to support the idea that a course in writing journal articles and writing research reports helps students? It sure seems intuitive. Maybe talk to a few professors who write such articles and have student researchers helping them. They may have some ideas that could help you in your proposal.

I know it seems intuitive but I want numeric data that will probably be hard to come by. All the professors I spoke with think it is a great idea.

Chunkysalsa said:
At my school for gen ed you need College Writing (composition) and Intro to literature. Then you need one additional course. They offer a class called Special Topics in XXXX. It's designed to teach students how to write for a specific field. They have this ST class in business, psychology, and engineering as well as others.

Nothing for science and math majors outside of engineering. I plan on taking the engineering one next fall. The problem is that the professors are your general writing teachers none of them are exactly experienced in writing for engineering or other subjects.

I think its a very good idea. Learn how to write something that will be directly useful for you and your career.

Anyway I just wanted to put in my experiences, you should be able to find some opinions from schools that have similar courses.

Many majors have an advanced writing course that is both a GenEd and a major requirement. Some have several courses designed for their major or courses that are relevant. The framework for this course is already there from some of the other classes already offered for other majors.

The school I'm transferring to complete my ME has an English 2000 course that focuses on writing research papers. You have to have 39 hours before you can take it though. My current school (cheaper c.c. in my area) uses the second english (1002 originally a lit comp) to study various forms of writing such as rhetoric papers. I'm taking that class this summer so I can be done with my english(es?) and it is equivalent to that English 2000 course. Not sure where I am going with this, I guess just to show you what the schools in my area are doing for us Science peeps w/ no communication skills (haha).

Related to Is a Scientific Writing Course Necessary for Science Majors?

1. What is the purpose of a Scientific Writing Course?

A Scientific Writing Course is designed to teach scientists how to effectively and accurately communicate their research and findings to a wider audience. It helps scientists to improve their writing skills, learn how to structure their writing in a clear and concise manner, and adhere to scientific standards and guidelines.

2. Who can benefit from taking a Scientific Writing Course?

Any scientist, researcher, or academic who needs to communicate their findings to a wider audience can benefit from taking a Scientific Writing Course. This includes graduate students, postdoctoral researchers, and even established scientists who want to improve their writing skills.

3. What topics are typically covered in a Scientific Writing Course?

Topics covered in a Scientific Writing Course may include the fundamentals of scientific writing, understanding the structure of scientific papers, using appropriate language and tone, formatting and referencing, and how to effectively communicate complex scientific concepts to a general audience.

4. Is a Scientific Writing Course only for those in the scientific field?

No, a Scientific Writing Course can also benefit professionals in other fields, such as healthcare, engineering, and environmental science, as it teaches general principles of effective writing that can be applied to any type of technical writing.

5. How can taking a Scientific Writing Course improve my career prospects?

Having strong scientific writing skills is essential for any career in the science field. A Scientific Writing Course can improve your ability to communicate your research and findings to a wider audience, leading to more publications and opportunities for collaboration and funding. It also shows employers that you have a strong understanding of scientific standards and can effectively communicate complex concepts, making you a valuable asset to any team or organization.