Maximizing Heat Transfer in Ansys: Tips for Defining Wall's Heat Capacity"

In summary, to define the wall's heat capacity in ANSYS, you need to find the overall heat transfer coefficient (U) from the vendor's TEMA sheet for the heat exchanger. This value can be used in the equation Q=mCpΔT=UAΔTLM to calculate the heat transferred (Q) between the two streams. The heat transfer area (A) can also be calculated using the number of tubes (n), their diameter (D), and length (L).
mark_dynamite
Hi, I am trying to show the heat transfer from a hot stream to a cold stream in ansys. I can do everything but not to define the wall's heat capacity which separates the two streams. Where and how would I do this? Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're looking for the overall heat transfer coefficient, U. This value is always given from the vendor in the TEMA sheet for the heat exchanger (HX). The TEMA sheet has all of the data you would ever need to do any type of analysis.

A heuristic value for U is 0.8517 kJ/m2-K-s (= 150 btu/ft2-F-hr)
So the heat transferred is given by...
Q=mCpΔT=UAΔTLM
Q [kJ/s]
m [kg/s]
Cp [kJ/kg-K]
ΔT [K]
U [kJ/m2-s-K]
A [m2]
ΔTLM [K]

Most likely you're aware, but the mCpΔT is of either the tube side or shell side fluid. The A is the heat transfer area. For example, if you have n number of tubes in the HX and each has a diameter of D with a length of L, then...
A= (pi)DLn (for a 1-pass HX)

Related to Maximizing Heat Transfer in Ansys: Tips for Defining Wall's Heat Capacity"

What is a heat exchanger and how does it work?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another without them coming into direct contact with each other. It works by using a series of tubes or plates to allow the two fluids to flow past each other, with one fluid being heated or cooled by the other in the process.

What are the different types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and air-cooled. Shell and tube heat exchangers are the most common and consist of a series of tubes inside a larger shell, with one fluid flowing through the tubes and the other through the shell. Plate and frame heat exchangers use plates and gaskets to transfer heat between the two fluids. Air-cooled heat exchangers use fans to blow air over a series of tubes to cool the fluid inside.

How do I simulate a heat exchanger in Ansys?

To simulate a heat exchanger in Ansys, you will need to use the CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) module. This module allows you to model the fluid flow and heat transfer within the heat exchanger. You will need to create a solid model of the heat exchanger and define the fluid properties, boundary conditions, and heat transfer coefficients in order to accurately simulate its performance.

What are some common challenges when simulating a heat exchanger in Ansys?

One common challenge when simulating a heat exchanger in Ansys is accurately modeling the fluid flow and heat transfer within the heat exchanger. This requires precise boundary conditions and heat transfer coefficients. Another challenge can be accurately capturing the thermal boundary layer and fluid turbulence, which can affect the heat transfer rate. Additionally, determining the appropriate mesh size and type can also be a challenge, as a dense mesh may result in long simulation times and a coarse mesh may not accurately capture the fluid dynamics.

How can I validate the results of my heat exchanger simulation in Ansys?

To validate the results of your heat exchanger simulation in Ansys, you can compare them to experimental data or analytical solutions. You can also conduct a sensitivity analysis to determine the impact of different parameters on the simulation results. Additionally, verifying that the simulation results align with physical laws and principles can help validate the accuracy of the simulation.