Microscope Questions - Moving Specimens & Light Intensity

• Thread starter cherrypie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microscope
In summary, the conversation is about seeking guidance on questions related to microscopes. The first question is about the direction to move a centrally positioned specimen on a slide in order to view the top right hand corner. The solution proposed is to move the specimen to the right and then up. The second question is about the change in light intensity when switching from low to high power on a microscope and how to correct it. The suggested method to investigate this is to switch to a higher magnification and see if there is a difference in light intensity.
cherrypie
I need guidance on these questions, on microscopes

Homework Statement

In what direction will you move a centrally positioned specimen on a slide in order to view the top right hand corner of the specimen

2. The attempt at a solution
is it to right then up ? someone please confirm this

2. Homework Statement

what happens to the light intensity when you change to high power from low power? How can you correct this?

2. The attempt at a solution
Not sure.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that if you want to look at the left side of the slide, you need to move it to the right and vice versa. But I have no idea about the top-down couple though.

The way I would work out this question is by going to the lab, make a slide of something (a drop of water from a pond is fine), put a cover slip over it and try to focus onto it, using the lowest magnification (smallest objective lens). Note approximately where you are over the coverslip and try to move to the top right hand corner. There should be a knob for side-to-side motion and another for up-down motion. Check every so often, to see if you are moving closer to that position.

To investigate your next question I would do the following.. Once I have the slide in focus, I would switch to next higher magnification (objective lens) and refocus and see if I notice any difference in light intensity. If not, go to the next highest magnification.

Related to Microscope Questions - Moving Specimens & Light Intensity

1. How can I adjust the light intensity on a microscope?

To adjust the light intensity on a microscope, you can use the iris diaphragm located below the stage. Turning the diaphragm will open or close the aperture, allowing more or less light to pass through and onto the specimen.

2. Why is it important to adjust the light intensity when viewing a specimen?

Adjusting the light intensity is important because it can affect the clarity and contrast of the specimen. Too much light can cause glare and wash out details, while too little light can make it difficult to see the specimen clearly.

3. How can I move a specimen on a microscope?

To move a specimen on a microscope, you can use the mechanical stage controls. The x-axis control moves the specimen left and right, while the y-axis control moves it up and down. Some microscopes also have a z-axis control for moving the stage closer or further away from the objective lens.

4. What is the purpose of the fine focus knob on a microscope?

The fine focus knob is used to make small adjustments to the focus of the specimen. It is especially useful when viewing thin or delicate samples that require precise focusing to see details.

5. How can I prevent a specimen from moving during observation?

To prevent a specimen from moving during observation, you can use the stage clips or a slide holder. These tools help to secure the specimen in place and prevent it from shifting while you are adjusting the focus or moving the specimen around.