Only one type of elementary electric charge?

south
TL;DR Summary
What if were there a second type of elementary charge ?
Is there only one type of elementary charge? The type of elemental charge that appears on particles such as electron, proton, etc. It is well known. Could there be another different type that we don't know yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
south said:
TL;DR Summary: What if were there a second type of elementary charge ?

Is there only one type of elementary charge?
Yes,
south said:
Could there be another different type that we don't know yet?
What does that mean? Can you write down an equation? (If not, that says something about your question)

south said:

Is there only one type of elementary charge? The type of elemental charge that appears on particles such as electron, proton, etc. It is well known. Could there be another different type that we don't know yet?
Read about quarks here.

Likes south
south said:

In the quark model, electric charge is not the only elementary one. There is also color charge, which is a property of quarks, as well as other properties such isospin and strangeness etc.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes,

What does that mean? Can you write down an equation? (If not, that says something about your question)
I can't mathematically formulate the core of my question. I can only comment on the reason for my question. I refer this to the vacuum. Two photons collide with each other under suitable conditions and a welectron-positron pair is the result of the collision.

Instead of bouncing one against the other, as two billiard balls would do, for example, the photons cause an event that conserves energy, the moment, etc., while transforming the traveling EM field (of the photons) into a pair of objects that have the possibility of existing without traveling with speed C, including speeds as small as we can imagine.

Each object in the formed pair has an electric charge. If the particles in the virtual particle hotbed had no opportunity to absorb the energy of photons to become real particles or to transfer charge to the two objects that form in the photon collision, then the charge on those objects cannot come from the virtual quantum hotbed particles. Obviously I don't know what the real case is, whether the particles in the boiler have opportunity or not.

My question is equivalent to asking what happens if the only feasible possibility was that the charge came from the photons. Photons cannot have the type of electronic charge, since they cannot have a mass that makes it impossible to travel to C. If they had a charge, it would be of a different type than the electronic charge. The latter is charge that appears in material particles (yes, I can qualify them). The charge of the photons would be charge that appears in a wave.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
In the quark model, electric charge is not the only elementary one. There is also color charge, which is a property of quarks, as well as other properties such isospin and strangeness etc.
Thank you PeroK for assisting me.I refer the question to two types of electrodynamic charging, not including chromodynamic properties.

kuruman said:
Read about quarks here.
Thank you very much kuruman

south said:
My question is equivalent to asking what happens if the only feasible possibility was that the charge came from the photons. Photons cannot have the type of electronic charge,
You lost me. The electron and the position each have electric charge. You want to know if that charge can come from photons via some as-yet unknown type of electric charge? Why would it if it's a different type of electric charge?

south said:

This happened historically. Protons were discovered to have other types of charged. Later on the force that uses those charges was unified with electromagnetism.

Likes south
Mister T said:
You lost me. The electron and the position each have electric charge. You want to know if that charge can come from photons via some as-yet unknown type of electric charge? Why would it if it's a different type of electric charge?
Thank you very much for assisting me. I got lost too. Cordial greetings.

Dale said:
This happened historically. Protons were discovered to have other types of charged. Later on the force that uses those charges was unified with electromagnetism.
Thank you very much for assisting me. Cordial greetings.

Likes Dale