Properties of Tensor Products - Cooperstein, Theorem 10.3

In summary, the relevant part of Theorem 10.3 states that for a multilinear map f and vector spaces V, W, and X, there exists a linear map T from V ⊗ W to X such that T(v1 ⊗ ... ⊗ vs ⊗ w1 ⊗ ... ⊗ wt) = (v1 ⊗ ... ⊗ vs) ⊗ (w1 ⊗ ... ⊗ wt), which is a direct application of the universality of the tensor product. This principle states that a multilinear map on a cartesian product of vector spaces can be extended to a linear map on the tensor product of those vector spaces. This principle is used repeatedly in proofs of properties of tensor products.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Bruce N. Coopersteins book: Advanced Linear Algebra (Second Edition) ... ...

I am focused on Section 10.2 Properties of Tensor Products ... ...

I need help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 10.3 regarding a property of tensor products ... ...The relevant part of Theorem 10.3 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=33b5ae1cfdc2f7ac325b528ac71daf3b.png

In the above text from Cooperstein (Second Edition, page 355) we read the following:" ... ... The map [itex]f[/itex] is multilinear and therefore by the universality of [itex]Y[/itex] there is a linear map [itex]T \ : \ Y \longrightarrow X[/itex] such that[itex]T(v_1 \otimes \ ... \ v_s \otimes w_1 \otimes \ ... \ w_t )[/itex]

[itex]= (v_1 \otimes \ ... \ v_s ) \otimes (w_1 \otimes \ ... \ w_t ) [/itex]

... ... ... "
My question is as follows:

What does Cooperstein mean by "the universality of [itex]Y[/itex]" and how does the universality of [itex]Y[/itex] justify the existence of the linear map [itex]T \ : \ Y \longrightarrow X[/itex] ... and further, if [itex]T[/itex] does exist, then how do we know it has the form shown ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter
*** Note ***

Presumably, Cooperstein is referring to some "universal mapping property" or "universal mapping problem" such as he describes in his Section 10.1 Introduction to Tensor Products as follows:

... ... BUT ... ... there is no equivalent of the logic surrounding the mapping [itex]j[/itex] ... unless we are supposed to assume the existence of [itex]j[/itex] and its relation to the existence of [itex]T[/itex] ... ?Indeed reading Cooperstein's definition of a tensor product ... it reads like the tensor product is the solution to the UMP ... but I am having some trouble fitting the definition and the UMP to the situation in Theorem 10.3 ...

Again, hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Cooperstein - 1 - Theorem 10.3 - PART 1       ....png
    Cooperstein - 1 - Theorem 10.3 - PART 1 ....png
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,192
  • Cooperstein - 1 - Universal Mapping Problem  - PART 1     ....png
    Cooperstein - 1 - Universal Mapping Problem - PART 1 ....png
    51.5 KB · Views: 589
  • Cooperstein - 2 - Universal Mapping Problem  - PART 2     ....png
    Cooperstein - 2 - Universal Mapping Problem - PART 2 ....png
    29.4 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
I will state it with 2 vector spaces for simplicity.

The tensor product ##V \otimes W##, where ##V,W## are vector spaces, has the following universal property:
If ##f: V \times W \to U## is a bilinear map to a vector space ##U##, then there is a unique linear map ##T : V \otimes W \to U## such that ##f(v,w)=T(v \otimes w)##.

(Prop 5.1 in https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/hitchin/hitchinnotes/Differentiable_manifolds/Chapter_2.pdf)
(See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product#Universal_property )

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Samy ... that looks pretty directly applicable to Theorem 10.3 ...

Appreciate your help ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
I am reading Bruce N. Coopersteins book: Advanced Linear Algebra (Second Edition) ... ...

I am focused on Section 10.2 Properties of Tensor Products ... ...

I need help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 10.3 regarding a property of tensor products ... ...The relevant part of Theorem 10.3 reads as follows:

In the above text from Cooperstein (Second Edition, page 355) we read the following:" ... ... The map [itex]f[/itex] is multilinear and therefore by the universality of [itex]Y[/itex] there is a linear map [itex]T \ : \ Y \longrightarrow X[/itex] such that[itex]T(v_1 \otimes \ ... \ v_s \otimes w_1 \otimes \ ... \ w_t )[/itex]

[itex]= (v_1 \otimes \ ... \ v_s ) \otimes (w_1 \otimes \ ... \ w_t ) [/itex]

... ... ... "
My question is as follows:

What does Cooperstein mean by "the universality of [itex]Y[/itex]" and how does the universality of [itex]Y[/itex] justify the existence of the linear map [itex]T \ : \ Y \longrightarrow X[/itex] ... and further, if [itex]T[/itex] does exist, then how do we know it has the form shown ...

Hope someone can help ...

Peter
*** Note ***

Presumably, Cooperstein is referring to some "universal mapping property" or "universal mapping problem" such as he describes in his Section 10.1 Introduction to Tensor Products as follows:

... ... BUT ... ... there is no equivalent of the logic surrounding the mapping [itex]j[/itex] ... unless we are supposed to assume the existence of [itex]j[/itex] and its relation to the existence of [itex]T[/itex] ... ?Indeed reading Cooperstein's definition of a tensor product ... it reads like the tensor product is the solution to the UMP ... but I am having some trouble fitting the definition and the UMP to the situation in Theorem 10.3 ...

Again, hope someone can help ...

Peter
Samy_A said:
I will state it with 2 vector spaces for simplicity.

The tensor product ##V \otimes W##, where ##V,W## are vector spaces, has the following universal property:
If ##f: V \times W \to U## is a bilinear map to a vector space ##U##, then there is a unique linear map ##T : V \otimes W \to U## such that ##f(v,w)=T(v \otimes w)##.

(Prop 5.1 in https://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/hitchin/hitchinnotes/Differentiable_manifolds/Chapter_2.pdf)
(See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_product#Universal_property )

Hi Samy,

I was too quick to indicate that I understood what you said and the implications of what you said ... ...

... indeed ... I need some further help ...

I cannot see how what you have said leads to T having the property that

[itex]T(v_1 \otimes \ ... \ v_s \otimes w_1 \otimes \ ... \ w_t )[/itex]

[itex]= (v_1 \otimes \ ... \ v_s ) \otimes (w_1 \otimes \ ... \ w_t ) [/itex]Can you explain why T has the above property?Hope you can help ...

Peter

It is a direct application of the universality of the tensor product. In sloppy language, that principle means that a multilinear map on a cartesian product of vector spaces defines ("can be extended to") a linear map on the tensor product of these vector spaces.

In the proof, they define ##f: V_1 \times \dots \times V_s \times W_1 \times \dots \times W_t \to X=V \otimes W## by ##f(v_1,\dots ,v_s,w_1,\dots ,w_t)=(v_1 \otimes \dots \otimes v_s ) \otimes (w_1 \otimes \dots \otimes w_t)##.

This ##f## is clearly multilinear. Therefore, there exists a linear ##T: V_1 \otimes \dots \otimes V_s \otimes W_1 \otimes \dots \otimes W_t \to X## such that ##T(v_1 \otimes \dots \otimes v_s \otimes w_1 \otimes \dots \otimes w_t) =f(v_1,\dots ,v_s,w_1,\dots ,w_t)=(v_1 \otimes \dots \otimes v_s ) \otimes (w_1 \otimes \dots \otimes w_t) ##

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Oh! , OK Samy, Thanks ...

Most important principle ... seems to be used again and again in proofs of properties of tensor products ...

Peter

Related to Properties of Tensor Products - Cooperstein, Theorem 10.3

1. What is the definition of a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vector spaces to create a new vector space. It is denoted by the symbol ⊗ and is used to describe the relationship between two vector spaces.

2. How is the dimension of a tensor product determined?

The dimension of a tensor product is equal to the product of the dimensions of the individual vector spaces. In other words, if V and W are two vector spaces with dimensions m and n respectively, then the dimension of their tensor product V ⊗ W is equal to m x n.

3. What are the properties of tensor products?

Some of the properties of tensor products include distributivity, associativity, and commutativity. These properties allow for certain operations on tensor products to be simplified and manipulated in useful ways.

4. How does the tensor product relate to linear transformations?

The tensor product is closely related to linear transformations. In fact, it can be used to represent linear transformations between vector spaces. This is because the tensor product preserves the linear structure of the individual vector spaces.

5. Can tensor products be applied to other mathematical objects?

Yes, tensor products can be applied to other mathematical objects such as matrices, tensors, and multilinear maps. This allows for the extension of the concept of tensor products to a wide range of mathematical fields and applications.