Relation between acceleration and time

In summary: I do not know if this value of C is correct because I don't know if my initial assumption is correct, and I don't know the torque as a function of time.In summary, the conversation is about finding the relation between acceleration and time, and how it can be represented on a graph. The shape of the graph can vary depending on the changing acceleration, with a horizontal line indicating constant acceleration, negative slope indicating decreasing acceleration, and positive slope indicating increasing acceleration. The exact relation between power, torque, and acceleration also depends on the specific application, such as a vehicle like a motorbike. To determine this relation, data and curve-fitting techniques are needed.
Ketan Vadher
I have a problem. As I was finding the torque for an engine. I have. I get a question about the relation of acceleration and time.
How will be the graph of varying acceleration and time if acceleration decreases?
Will it be a straight line with negative slope or any other shape?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This is impossible to tell without more information. It's like asking "here is a car, what will its speed be over time?"

If you are plotting acceleration on the y-axis and time on the x axis, then a horizontal line would indicate constant acceleration. Negative slope indicates decreasing acceleration, and positive slope indicates increasing acceleration.
The question is, how is your acceleration changing? Do you have a formula for it?

Most cars (including drag racers) have maximum acceleration near t=0. Then acceleration declines rather quickly before curving to a more gentle downward slope. You'll need data and curve-fitting techniques to find the formula for your application.

insightful said:
Most cars (including drag racers) have maximum acceleration near t=0.
Not if they are parking somewhere (a=0), or moving in traffic jams or whatever. That's the point, we have no idea what happens so it is impossible to know the acceleration.

Thank you for such a response to my first question to Physics forum.

Hello
Today I get the graph of acceleration and time for my engine.
It will have a shape of paarabola x=-y^2 in first qudrent from Max acceleration to a=0.

Now I have a question regarding the reletion of power and acceleration & relation of torque and acceleration.
How to get relation for my engine. having max torque 18.6 N-m @2800 rpm.
how can I accelertion from power.

This web page spells it out pretty simply. http://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/physics/rot/node5.html
If you know torque, ##\tau##, mass, m, and you know the radius of the thing you are rotating, ##r##, you can relate torque to acceleration by:
##\tau = m r a ##

Ketan Vadher said:
Hello
Today I get the graph of acceleration and time for my engine.
It will have a shape of paarabola x=-y^2 in first qudrent from Max acceleration to a=0.

Now I have a question regarding the reletion of power and acceleration & relation of torque and acceleration.
How to get relation for my engine. having max torque 18.6 N-m @2800 rpm.
how can I accelertion from power.
I assume you mean to end up with an equation like:

a = a0 - C*sqrt(t)

For example, if initial acceleration were 1 m/s2 and acceleration drops to 0 after 20 seconds, you have:

a = 1 - 0.2236*sqrt(t)

Now, if you know the torque from the engine at a point in time, you can calculate the acceleration by calculating the force the wheels are applying to the vehicle, using F = ma. In practice, this is not possible because engine torque is not known at every point in time.

(Are we talking about a vehicle, like a motorbike?)

insightful said:
I assume you mean to end up with an equation like:

a = a0 - C*sqrt(t)

For example, if initial acceleration were 1 m/s2 and acceleration drops to 0 after 20 seconds, you have:

a = 1 - 0.2236*sqrt(t)

Now, if you know the torque from the engine at a point in time, you can calculate the acceleration by calculating the force the wheels are applying to the vehicle, using F = ma. In practice, this is not possible because engine torque is not known at every point in time.

(Are we talking about a vehicle, like a motorbike?)
Thank you for response...

But what is the C here?
How did you get the value of C=02236 here?

I am making an ATV car.

Ketan Vadher said:
But what is the C here?
How did you get the value of C=02236 here?
C is a constant in the equation. It is found by putting my assumption in the example I gave that a=0 at t =20 s:

0 = 1 - C*sqrt(20) and solve for C.

Related to Relation between acceleration and time

1. What is the equation for acceleration?

The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How does acceleration change with time?

Acceleration is directly proportional to time. This means that as time increases, acceleration also increases.

3. What is the relation between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity with respect to time. This means that as acceleration increases, velocity also increases.

4. How does the direction of acceleration affect the motion of an object?

The direction of acceleration determines the direction of the change in velocity. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity, the object will speed up. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, the object will slow down.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its acceleration?

The mass of an object has an inverse relationship with its acceleration. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its acceleration decreases. In other words, a heavier object requires more force to accelerate at the same rate as a lighter object.