Retrieve a MIG-15: Royal Navy Mission in Korea 1952

• Thread starter saddlestone-man
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the dismantling of a crashed MIG-15 in Korea using hand grenades. The topic of using hand grenades for dismantling raises questions about the effectiveness and potential destruction of the plane. The conversation also mentions a similar incident where a MIG-25 was taken apart for transport, but without the use of hand grenades.
saddlestone-man
TL;DR Summary
Use of the Nene engine in the MIG-15
Hello All

I've included here a small piece from Meccano Magazine for November 1952, describing the recovery of a crashed MIG-15 in Korea. Certainly a dangerous mission and I like the way the MIG was dismantled "with hand grenades"!

Interestingly the text is full of praise for the aircraft, and apparently free of anti-Communist propaganda.

Was it when the previous MIG-15, retrieved by the Royal Navy, was inspected that the use of a Nene-clone was discovered?

best regards ... Stef

Attachments

• MIG-15 Recovery.jpg
    MIG-15 Recovery.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 151
Likes jedishrfu and Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
How does one dismantle anything with hand grenades?

Afterwards they are certainly no longer mantled.

• Haha
Likes jedishrfu
@Vanadium 50 the reference of dismantling was from the posted news article where it said they dismantled a MIG for transport using hand grenades.

It would seem that doing that would have destroyed most if not all of the plane so I was wondering if the OP knew more about it.

I know no more about this dismantling than what's shown in the article. Since this was done on enemy territory, they were in a hurry and so some form of explosive did the trick quickly.

I recall the defection of Viktor Belenko in 1976 who flew his MIG-25 to Japan from Vladivostok. In that incident, the American technicians felt it was necessary to take the plane to pieces (presumably NOT using hand grenades) so that it could be carefully packed into 40 crates for safe return to the Russians.

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Retrieve a MIG-15: Royal Navy Mission in Korea 1952

1. What was the purpose of the Royal Navy Mission in Korea in 1952?

The purpose of the Royal Navy Mission in Korea in 1952 was to retrieve a MIG-15 fighter jet from North Korea for analysis and intelligence gathering purposes during the Korean War.

2. How was the MIG-15 retrieved by the Royal Navy?

The MIG-15 was retrieved by a daring mission carried out by a team of Royal Navy pilots, who flew a Douglas A-1 Skyraider aircraft into North Korean territory and successfully captured the MIG-15 from an airfield near the Yalu River.

3. Why was the retrieval of the MIG-15 considered a significant achievement?

The retrieval of the MIG-15 was considered a significant achievement because it was the first time a Western power had captured a Soviet-built jet fighter and brought it back for analysis. This provided valuable intelligence on the capabilities of the MIG-15 and helped to improve the effectiveness of Allied forces in the Korean War.

4. What challenges did the Royal Navy face during the mission?

The Royal Navy faced numerous challenges during the mission, including navigating through hostile airspace, avoiding enemy fire, and successfully landing the MIG-15 on an aircraft carrier. The pilots also had to overcome technical difficulties and the risk of being shot down by enemy forces.

5. What impact did the retrieval of the MIG-15 have on the Korean War?

The retrieval of the MIG-15 had a significant impact on the Korean War as it provided Allied forces with valuable intelligence on the capabilities of the Soviet-built jet fighter. This information helped to improve the effectiveness of Allied air operations and ultimately contributed to the success of the war effort.