Second order differential equation,with constant terms

In summary: Kind regardsIn summary, the conversation discusses how to transform a second order differential equation with variable coefficients into a second order differential equation with constant coefficients. The participants explore different methods of substitution and provide steps for finding the general solution. They also discuss the importance of correctly substituting variables in the equation.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello (Smirk)
Given the [tex] x^{2}y''+axy'+by=0[/tex],I have to show that with replacing [tex] x[/tex] with [tex]e^{z}[/tex],it becomes a second order differential equation,with constant terms.
I tried to do this and I got this: [tex] y''+\frac{a}{e^{z}}y'+\frac{b}{e^{2z}}y=0 [/tex].
But,at this equation the terms aren't constant :confused: What else could I do??

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello (Smirk)
Given the [tex] x^{2}y''+axy'+by=0[/tex],I have to show that with replacing [tex] x[/tex] with [tex]e^{z}[/tex],it becomes a second order differential equation,with constant terms.
I tried to do this and I got this: [tex] y''+\frac{a}{e^{z}}y'+\frac{b}{e^{2z}}y=0 [/tex].
But,at this equation the terms aren't constant :confused: What else could I do??

Hi evinda!

Note that $y$ actually means $y(x)$, and $y'$ actually means \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\).
You did not replaces those $x$'s yet.Suppose we define $Y(z) = y(x(z)) = y(e^z)$.
Then according to the chain rule:
$$Y'(z) = \frac{dY(z)}{dz} = \frac{dy(x(z))}{dz} = \frac{dy(x)}{dx} \frac{dx(z)}{dz} = y'(x) \frac{dx(z)}{dz}$$
Or shorter:
$$Y' = \frac{dY}{dz} = \frac{dy}{dx} \frac{dx}{dz} = y' \frac{dx}{dz}$$
Perhaps you can express your differential equation with Y, Y', and Y''?Btw, I have moved your thread to the sub forum Differential Equations, since that is the topic at hand.

I like Serena said:
Hi evinda!

Note that $y$ actually means $y(x)$, and $y'$ actually means \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\).
You did not replaces those $x$'s yet.Suppose we define $Y(z) = y(x(z)) = y(e^z)$.
Then according to the chain rule:
$$Y'(z) = \frac{dY(z)}{dz} = \frac{dy(x(z))}{dz} = \frac{dy(x)}{dx} \frac{dx(z)}{dz} = y'(x) \frac{dx(z)}{dz}$$
Or shorter:
$$Y' = \frac{dY}{dz} = \frac{dy}{dx} \frac{dx}{dz} = y' \frac{dx}{dz}$$
Perhaps you can express your differential equation with Y, Y', and Y''?Btw, I have moved your thread to the sub forum Differential Equations, since that is the topic at hand.

I found this:
[tex] x^{2}y''\frac{dx}{dz}+x^{2}y'\frac{d^{2}x}{dz^{2}}+axy'\frac{dx}{dz}+by=0 [/tex]
Is this right??If yes,how can I continue?

evinda said:
I found this:
[tex] x^{2}y''\frac{dx}{dz}+x^{2}y'\frac{d^{2}x}{dz^{2}}+axy'\frac{dx}{dz}+by=0 [/tex]
Is this right??If yes,how can I continue?

Looks like you substituted it the wrong way around.

$$Y' = y' \frac{dx}{dz}$$
we get:
$$y' = \frac{Y'}{\frac{dx}{dz}} = \frac{Y'}{e^z} = \frac{Y'}{x}$$
Perhaps you can substitute that in the original DE?

I like Serena said:
Looks like you substituted it the wrong way around.

$$Y' = y' \frac{dx}{dz}$$
we get:
$$y' = \frac{Y'}{\frac{dx}{dz}} = \frac{Y'}{e^z} = \frac{Y'}{x}$$
Perhaps you can substitute that in the original DE?

So,is it like that:

[tex] y''=\frac{y''(z)}{\frac{dx}{dz}}-y'(z) [/tex] ?

I would suggest taking a look at this thread:

http://mathhelpboards.com/questions-other-sites-52/holmes-question-yahoo-answers-regarding-cauchy-euler-equation-3241.html

evinda said:
Hello (Smirk)

The standard way to transform an ODE of this type [Euler-Cauchy differential equation...] is in the substitution $u = \ln x$, so that You have... $\displaystyle \frac{d y}{d x} = \frac{d y}{d u} \frac{d u} {d x} = \frac{1}{x} \ \frac{dy}{d u}\ (1)$

$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2} y}{d x^{2}} = \frac{d^{2} y}{d u^{2}} (\frac{d u}{d x})^{2} + \frac{d y}{d u} \frac{d^{2} u}{d x^{2}} = \frac{1}{x^{2}} (\frac{d^{2} y}{d u^{2}} - \frac{d y}{d u})\ (2)$Inserting (1) and (2) into the original ODE You obtain...

$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2} y}{d u^{2}} + (a -1)\ \frac{d y}{d u} + b\ y =0\ (3)$

A 'very pratical' way to attack this type of equation is however to search solutions of the form $y = x^{\nu}$. Imposing that You arrive at a second order algebraic equation in $\nu$ and if $\nu_{1}$ and $\nu_{2}$ are the solutions, then the general solution of the ODE is...

$\displaystyle y(x) = c_{1}\ x^{\nu_{1}} + c_{2}\ x^{\nu_{2}}\ (4)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The standard way to transform an ODE of this type [Euler-Cauchy differential equation...] is in the substitution $u = \ln x$, so that You have... $\displaystyle \frac{d y}{d x} = \frac{d y}{d u} \frac{d u} {d x} = \frac{1}{x} \ \frac{dy}{d u}\ (1)$

$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2} y}{d x^{2}} = \frac{d^{2} y}{d u^{2}} (\frac{d u}{d x})^{2} + \frac{d y}{d u} \frac{d^{2} u}{d x^{2}} = \frac{1}{x^{2}} (\frac{d^{2} y}{d u^{2}} - \frac{d y}{d u})\ (2)$Inserting (1) and (2) into the original ODE You obtain...

$\displaystyle \frac{d^{2} y}{d u^{2}} + (a -1)\ \frac{d y}{d u} + b\ y =0\ (3)$

A 'very pratical' way to attack this type of equation is however to search solutions of the form $y = x^{\nu}$. Imposing that You arrive at a second order algebraic equation in $\nu$ and if $\nu_{1}$ and $\nu_{2}$ are the solutions, then the general solution of the ODE is...

$\displaystyle y(x) = c_{1}\ x^{\nu_{1}} + c_{2}\ x^{\nu_{2}}\ (4)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I understand :) But how from this equation: $\displaystyle \frac{d^{2} y}{d u^{2}} + (a -1)\ \frac{d y}{d u} + b\ y =0\ $ can I get the general solution??
I tried like that: [tex] r^{2}+(a-1)r+b=0 =>
d=(a-1)^{2}-4b
[/tex]
but I don't know how to continue...

evinda said:
I understand :) But how from this equation: $\displaystyle \frac{d^{2} y}{d u^{2}} + (a -1)\ \frac{d y}{d u} + b\ y =0\ $ can I get the general solution??
I tried like that: [tex] r^{2}+(a-1)r+b=0 =>
d=(a-1)^{2}-4b
[/tex]
but I don't know how to continue...

The only You have to do is to complete the solution of the second order equation...

$\displaystyle r^{2}+(a-1)r + b = 0 \implies r_{1} = \frac{1 - a - \sqrt{(1-a)^{2} - 4 b}}{2},\ r_{2} = \frac{1 - a + \sqrt{(1-a)^{2} - 4 b}}{2}\ (1)$

... and the solution is given by...

$\displaystyle y = c_{1} e^{r_{1}\ u} + c_{2} e^{r_{2}\ u} = c_{1}\ x^{r_{1}} + c_{2}\ x^{r_{2}}\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The only You have to do is to complete the solution of the second order equation...

$\displaystyle r^{2}+(a-1)r + b = 0 \implies r_{1} = \frac{1 - a - \sqrt{(1-a)^{2} - 4 b}}{2},\ r_{2} = \frac{1 - a + \sqrt{(1-a)^{2} - 4 b}}{2}\ (1)$

... and the solution is given by...

$\displaystyle y = c_{1} e^{r_{1}\ u} + c_{2} e^{r_{2}\ u} = c_{1}\ x^{r_{1}} + c_{2}\ x^{r_{2}}\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I got it!And if I want to look at the same problem for x<0,what do I have to do?Maybe to set [tex] x=-e^{u} [/tex],or am I wrong?

evinda said:
I got it!And if I want to look at the same problem for x<0,what do I have to do?Maybe to set [tex] x=-e^{u} [/tex],or am I wrong?

That is a very interesting question!... we have seen that the solution is of the type...

$\displaystyle y(x) = c_{1}\ x^{r_{1}} + c_{2}\ x^{r_{2}}\ (1)$

A function like $x^{r}$, where r may be any real [or even complex...] number, in general has in x=0 a singularity called brantch point, and that means that from x=0 several brantches of the function merge. For x<0 the function has several brantches and in general has a real and an imaginary part. An interesting example is the function $x^{\sqrt{2}}$ plotted by 'MonsterWolfram'...

x^(sqrt(2)) from -1 to 1 - Wolfram|Alpha

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
That is a very interesting question!... we have seen that the solution is of the type...

$\displaystyle y(x) = c_{1}\ x^{r_{1}} + c_{2}\ x^{r_{2}}\ (1)$

A function like $x^{r}$, where r may be any real [or even complex...] number, in general has in x=0 a singularity called brantch point, and that means that from x=0 several brantches of the function merge. For x<0 the function has several brantches and in general has a real and an imaginary part. An interesting example is the function $x^{\sqrt{2}}$ plotted by 'MonsterWolfram'...

x^(sqrt(2)) from -1 to 1 - Wolfram|Alpha

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

So,what do I have to do to show that [tex] x^{2}y''+axy'+by=0[/tex] with [tex]x<0 [/tex] becomes a second order differential equation,with constant terms? :confused:

evinda said:
So,what do I have to do to show that [tex] x^{2}y''+axy'+by=0[/tex] with [tex]x<0 [/tex] becomes a second order differential equation,with constant terms? :confused:

The solving procedure is valid for any value of $- \infty < x < + \infty$... for x<0 there are only some [minor] problems...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The solving procedure is valid for any value of $- \infty < x < + \infty$... for x<0 there are only some [minor] problems...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Don't I have to set x to something negative?

evinda said:
Don't I have to set x to something negative?

Or can I just set x=-p,p>0??

Related to Second order differential equation,with constant terms

1. What is a second order differential equation with constant terms?

A second order differential equation with constant terms is a type of mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function and includes constants. It is commonly written in the form: ay'' + by' + cy = f(x), where a, b, and c are constants and f(x) is a function of x.

2. What is the difference between a first order and second order differential equation?

The main difference between a first order and second order differential equation is the number of derivatives present in the equation. A first order differential equation involves only the first derivative of a function, while a second order differential equation involves the second derivative in addition to the first. This means that a second order differential equation is more complex and requires more information to solve.

3. How do you solve a second order differential equation with constant terms?

To solve a second order differential equation with constant terms, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the second derivative and then integrating to find the general solution. The constants can then be determined by using initial conditions or boundary conditions.

4. What are the applications of second order differential equations with constant terms?

Second order differential equations with constant terms have many applications in science and engineering. They are commonly used to model physical systems such as oscillations, vibrations, and electrical circuits. They also play a crucial role in the study of motion, heat transfer, and population dynamics.

5. Are there any real-life examples of second order differential equations with constant terms?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of second order differential equations with constant terms. For instance, the motion of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the current in an electrical circuit can all be described by second order differential equations with constant terms. Other examples include the population growth of a species, the cooling of a hot object, and the oscillations of a spring-mass system.