Sedimentary Strata: Why Chronological Build-Up?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary, sedimentary strata always build up chronologically because they are physically and temporally locked into place. This is why geologists can trust that the higher specimens are definitely newer than the lower ones- the layer exists and is preserved because it was in one place long enough to do so. When sedimentation inverts (lays down sediment in a deceptive way), or when extraordinary circumstances hide important information, the reliability of the stratum's chronological order can be called into question. Lastly, radiodating can be used to verify the chronological order predicted by sedimentation models.
Mentat
This may seem like a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I'm not really sure, so I thought I'd ask: Why do sedimentary strata always build up chronologically?

What I mean is: Why is it that geologists can trust, when dating a fossil or something, that the stratum has built up faithfully (meaning that the higher specimens are definitely newer than the lower ones)?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't know much about the subject, but I have heard geologists talking about "sedimentary inversions". I think there are cases where the sediment "lies", but geologists can tell when it is lying.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out some sedimentary layers are put down in such a way as to be very deceptive, and fool researchers into making mistakes. Such mistakes might be considered extraordinary discoveries. Things like this are why extraordinary discoveries warrant extra scrutiny.

What is nastier is when remarkable circumstances hide important information. When an imperfect theory combines with a flawed experiment, and the flaws just happen to be consistent, a theory will be accepted without as much scrutiny.

Njorl

Originally posted by Mentat
This may seem like a stupid question with an obvious answer, but I'm not really sure, so I thought I'd ask: Why do sedimentary strata always build up chronologically?

What I mean is: Why is it that geologists can trust, when dating a fossil or something, that the stratum has built up faithfully (meaning that the higher specimens are definitely newer than the lower ones)?
Ummm...I'm no geologist, but I have to ask: how else would they stack up? A layer of strata exists because it was in one place long enough to solidify, and experienced pressure from the layers above and below it. The act of creating a layer locks it into its place physically and chronologically.

Originally posted by Njorl
I don't know much about the subject, but I have heard geologists talking about "sedimentary inversions". I think there are cases where the sediment "lies", but geologists can tell when it is lying.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out some sedimentary layers are put down in such a way as to be very deceptive, and fool researchers into making mistakes. Such mistakes might be considered extraordinary discoveries. Things like this are why extraordinary discoveries warrant extra scrutiny.

What is nastier is when remarkable circumstances hide important information. When an imperfect theory combines with a flawed experiment, and the flaws just happen to be consistent, a theory will be accepted without as much scrutiny.

Njorl
Hmmm...wouldn't those "inversions" have to be occurring in very specific circumstances, easily identified by geologists?

It's obvious why sedimentation builds up chronologically. Newer stuff falls onto older stuff.

But you are right to question the reliability of it staying like that. Geologists are well aware of all the folding, faulting, flipping, cracking, mixing, etc. that rocks do. There are tell-tale signs of these processes...we'll need a geologist to give details, but it involves examining the regional geology (not making a conclusion from one point).

And then there's radiodating to verify chronology predicted by sedimentation models.

Originally posted by Phobos
It's obvious why sedimentation builds up chronologically. Newer stuff falls onto older stuff.

But you are right to question the reliability of it staying like that. Geologists are well aware of all the folding, faulting, flipping, cracking, mixing, etc. that rocks do. There are tell-tale signs of these processes...we'll need a geologist to give details, but it involves examining the regional geology (not making a conclusion from one point).

And then there's radiodating to verify chronology predicted by sedimentation models.

Thanks for the responses (everybody)...yeah, I thought of verifying by radiocarbon and other such methods, after I posted the thread.

Related to Sedimentary Strata: Why Chronological Build-Up?

1. What is sedimentary strata?

Sedimentary strata are layers of sedimentary rocks that are formed through the accumulation and compression of sediments over time. These sediments can include sand, silt, clay, and other materials that have been transported and deposited by water, wind, or ice.

2. How are sedimentary strata formed?

Sedimentary strata are formed through a process called lithification, which involves the compaction and cementation of sediments. This process can take thousands or even millions of years, as layers of sediment continue to accumulate and become buried under more layers.

3. Why is the study of sedimentary strata important?

The study of sedimentary strata is important for understanding the Earth's history and the processes that have shaped our planet. By examining the composition and characteristics of different layers, scientists can gain insights into past environments, climate patterns, and geological events.

4. How do scientists determine the chronological build-up of sedimentary strata?

Scientists use various techniques, such as radiometric dating and relative dating, to determine the age and relative positions of different layers of sedimentary strata. This information allows them to create a chronological sequence of events and better understand the geological history of a region.

5. What can we learn from the chronological build-up of sedimentary strata?

By studying the chronological build-up of sedimentary strata, scientists can learn about changes in Earth's climate, the evolution of life forms, and the movement of continents. This information can also help us understand natural resources, such as fossil fuels, and make predictions about future environmental changes.