Solving for Poisson Probability Change w/ Function x

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability formula for an event A occurring in a given time frame, and how it is affected by a changing function x. The chain rule is mentioned and confusion arises about how to calculate the probability P(x) in this scenario. The speaker also mentions their intuition about the relationship between x and the probability, and questions where they may be wrong. The conversation ultimately discusses the use of non-homogeneous Poisson processes to model the probability of an event occurring over time.
aaaa202
Suppose that a system is such that in a time dt, the probability that an event A occurs, given that it has not already happened, is given by:
P(t,t+dt) = w(t) * dt

The solution for the probability that A has occurred at a time t is something like:

P(t) = 1 - exp(∫0tw('t)dt')

Now suppose that w(t) is changing due to some function x such that really w(t) = w(x(t)). How do I find the probability P(x) that the event A has occurred as a function of x?

Physics news on Phys.org
The chain rule (or substitution for integrals):
[tex]\int w(t')dt'= \int w(x(t'))\left(\frac{dt'}{dx}\right)\left(\frac{dx}{dt'}\right) dt'= \int w(x)\left(\frac{dt'}{dx}\right)dx= \int_{x(0)}^{x(t)} \frac{w(x)}{\frac{dx}{dt'}}dx[/tex]

But doesn't that still give me P(t) when I carry out the integration? My problem is that I have 3 different x1(t), x2(t), x3(t) and I want P(xi) for each of these so I can see when the probability in each case becomes significant. So in the above formula when I plug in x(t) in the end I still get something which is controlled by t. Where am I confusing myself?
I also find it weird that if w(x) is an increasing function then the probability P(x) takes longer to reach a significant value when dx/dt is large. Intuitively I would think that if x(t) is driven to large values faster such that w(x) gets larger faster then the probability P(x) should do the same. Where am I wrong?

Last edited:
aaaa202 said:
But doesn't that still give me P(t) when I carry out the integration? My problem is that I have 3 different x1(t), x2(t), x3(t) and I want P(xi) for each of these so I can see when the probability in each case becomes significant. So in the above formula when I plug in x(t) in the end I still get something which is controlled by t. Where am I confusing myself?
I also find it weird that if w(x) is an increasing function then the probability P(x) takes longer to reach a significant value when dx/dt is large. Intuitively I would think that if x(t) is driven to large values faster such that w(x) gets larger faster then the probability P(x) should do the same. Where am I wrong?

As I read it, you have three "curves ##x_1(t), x_2(t), x_3(t)## and for each of them you have a (non-homogeneous) Poisson process with rate ##r_i(t) = w[x_i(t)]##. That will give you three different "counting processes" ##N_1(t), N_2(t), N_3(t)## with
[tex] P\{ N_i(t) = n \} = \frac{m_i(t)^n \, e^{-m_i(t)}}{n!}, \, n = 0,1,2,\ldots [/tex]
and where
[tex] m_i(t) = \int_0^t w[x_i(\tau)] \, d \tau , i = 1,2,3. [/tex]
That seems to be what you are saying; if it is not, you need to clarify what you want.

Related to Solving for Poisson Probability Change w/ Function x

1) What is Poisson Probability?

Poisson Probability is a mathematical concept used to calculate the likelihood of a specific number of events occurring within a given time or space, when the average rate of occurrence is known.

2) What is the formula for Solving for Poisson Probability Change with Function x?

The formula for solving for Poisson Probability Change with Function x is P(x;λ) = (e^-λ) * (λ^x) / x!, where x is the number of events, λ is the average rate of occurrence, and e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718.

3) How is Poisson Probability used in real life?

Poisson Probability is commonly used in fields such as finance, manufacturing, and healthcare to calculate the probability of rare events occurring, such as machine failures, stock market crashes, or disease outbreaks.

4) What is the difference between Poisson Probability and Normal Distribution?

The main difference between Poisson Probability and Normal Distribution is that Poisson Probability is used to calculate the probability of a specific number of events occurring, while Normal Distribution is used to calculate the probability of a range of values occurring.

5) Can Poisson Probability Change with Function x be used for continuous data?

No, Poisson Probability Change with Function x is typically used for discrete data, meaning data that can only take on specific values, such as whole numbers. For continuous data, other probability distribution methods, such as the Normal Distribution, may be more appropriate.