Stuck on a Tricky Integral: What Works Best?

• Thread starter xAxis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Try it out and see if you can get the same result.In summary, Daniel is trying to solve an integral involving substituting x for k1/2tan(y). He is not sure if this substitution leads to a solution.
xAxis
I came to this integral which I thaught would be easy to solve, but I'm stuck.

int dx/{x *sqrt{(x ^ 2 )+ k}}
(Sorry I am trying to get it in Latex)

I tried substitution:
[tex]x ^ 2 + k = t[/tex]
as I remembered from the book (years ago)

But have ended with this:
1/2 times
int dt/{(t-k)sqrt(t)}

Im not sure if this leads to a solution. Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try the substitution x=k1/2tan(y)

Thanks d leet. Sorry I tried in Latex and kept getting most unusual expressions. This is the correct expression.

Try the substitution x=k^{1/2} sinh t.

Daniel.

that substitution led me to
int dt/sinh t
Any idea how this could be solved?

xAxis said:
int dt/sinh t

It shouldn't lead you to that, can you show the work you did using that substitution?

Sure if you don't mind my ascii typing :)
dx = (sqrt)k cosht dt
I = (sqrt)k*int cosht*dt/((sqrt)k*sinht*(sqrt)(k(sinh^2t + 1))) =

=(sqrt)k*int cosht*dt/((sqrt)k*sinht*(sqrt)(k*cosh^2t)) =

==(sqrt)k*int cosht*dt/(k*sinht*cosht)

Then after canceling cosht and puting 1/k out, I am left with dt/sinht

xAxis said:
Sure if you don't mind my ascii typing :)
dx = (sqrt)k cosht dt
I = (sqrt)k*int cosht*dt/((sqrt)k*sinht*(sqrt)(k(sinh^2t + 1))) =

This line is almost impossible to follow, but it doesn't look correct at all. you should have k.5*cosht/(ksinh2 + k).5 inside of the integral.

I got the same under the root of the denominator. When you factor out k, u got (k(sinh^2 + 1))^.5 But that's only the root. There was an x multilplying that root.
I think I reduced it properly, but don't know how to solve dt/sinht

xAxis said:
I got the same under the root of the denominator. When you factor out k, u got (k(sinh^2 + 1))^.5 But that's only the root. There was an x multilplying that root.
I think I reduced it properly, but don't know how to solve dt/sinht

Sorry about that I didn't see the factor of x in the denominator. Well isn't 1/sech(t)= csch(t)? and I think you can look that up in a table of integrals, or I;m sure there's a way to do it, but I'm not sure how do it since I never have before.

xAxis said:
int dt/sinh t

Yes, just multiply both the denominator and the numerator by #sinh t# and then use the ch^2 -sh^2 =1 identity.

Daniel.

Thanks dextercioby, your first tip was good as I managed to reduce to the above. As I didn't find it in tables, I used an excelent web integrator
http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp
The solution is ln(tanh(t/2))

There's also the substitution

[tex] x^{2}+1 =p^{2} [/tex]

that leads immediately to a result.

Daniel.

xAxis said:
Thanks dextercioby, your first tip was good as I managed to reduce to the above. As I didn't find it in tables, I used an excelent web integrator
http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp
The solution is ln(tanh(t/2))

www.quickmath.com is an excellent alternative website for indefinite/definite integration, derivatives, plots, solving equations, matricies, etc.

I agree quickmath can perform complicated definite integrals, while Mathematica's web integrator can't.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Yes, just multiply both the denominator and the numerator by #sinh t# and then use the ch^2 -sh^2 =1 identity.

Daniel.

Alternatively, use a u=tanh(t/2) substitution for the fun of it.

Related to Stuck on a Tricky Integral: What Works Best?

1. What is a seemingly easy integral?

A seemingly easy integral is an integral that appears to be straightforward to solve, but upon closer inspection, may require more complex techniques or involve unexpected challenges.

2. Why are seemingly easy integrals difficult to solve?

Seemingly easy integrals can be difficult to solve because they may involve special functions, require advanced integration techniques, or have unexpected twists that make them more challenging than they initially appear.

3. How can I identify a seemingly easy integral?

Seemingly easy integrals often involve simple functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions. They may also have a simple integrand and limits of integration. However, these characteristics alone do not necessarily make an integral easy to solve.

4. What are some common techniques for solving seemingly easy integrals?

Some common techniques for solving seemingly easy integrals include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions. It is also important to be familiar with special functions, such as logarithms, exponentials, and trigonometric functions, as they may appear in seemingly easy integrals.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving seemingly easy integrals?

To improve your skills in solving seemingly easy integrals, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with a variety of integration techniques. It can also be helpful to study and understand the properties of special functions, as well as common pitfalls and mistakes when solving integrals.