TCNJ Physics vs Temple - Compare Physics Programs

• Thread starter DPR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Temple has a lower reputation for their physics program than The College of New Jersey, but the physics program at TCNJ may be better.
DPR
I recently got accepted to both Temple and The College of New Jersey. I already have a B.A. in political science, and am currently working on a B.S. degree in physics. I spent the last two years at a community college. I know that TCNJ has a pretty good reputation overall, but I don't really know much about its physics program. Temple's physics program seems decent. Does anyone here know anything about these two schools and how their physics programs compare?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Man, stay away from Temple! I served on their Industrial Advisory Board for a couple of years, and it was a massive disappointment. I've seen better work come from elementary schools than what Temple turns out. I know absolutely nothing about your other choice, but it cannot be any worse than Temple.

I am currently a junior physics major at tcnj. We are a really close knit group who helps each other with everything and can always be found working on the next problem set in the conference room. My friends are always shocked at how close the people in my major are. It probably has something to do with sharing the traumatic experience that being a physics major in general is. All of the faculty are really great, helpful, and easy to get to know, as well as do research with. The only advantage Temple could possibly have is being a university, and therefore having a graduate program with more access to research and funding. However, this could also be a disadvantage, since the professors may not have as much time to work with undergraduates. I also know that tcnj regularly turns out one of the biggest graduating physics classes in the country, we usually have around 15-20 majors graduate each year, which is especially incredible considering tcnj's small size. Anyway, good luck with everything, and maybe I'll see you next year!

Related to TCNJ Physics vs Temple - Compare Physics Programs

1. What are the main differences in the physics programs at TCNJ and Temple?

The main differences between the physics programs at TCNJ and Temple lie in their curriculum structure and research opportunities. TCNJ's program has a strong focus on hands-on laboratory work and small class sizes, while Temple's program offers a wider range of specialized courses and access to larger research facilities.

2. Which program has a better reputation in the scientific community?

Both TCNJ and Temple have strong reputations in the scientific community, but it ultimately depends on the specific field of physics. TCNJ has been consistently ranked as one of the top undergraduate physics programs in the nation, while Temple has a strong research presence in areas such as particle physics and astrophysics.

3. Are there any notable differences in the faculty at TCNJ and Temple?

Both TCNJ and Temple have highly qualified and experienced faculty members. TCNJ has a smaller faculty-to-student ratio, which allows for more personalized attention and mentorship opportunities. Temple's faculty includes a diverse group of internationally recognized researchers and professors.

4. Can students from TCNJ and Temple collaborate on research projects?

While TCNJ and Temple are two separate institutions, students in the physics programs at both schools have opportunities to collaborate on research projects. TCNJ has partnerships with nearby research institutions, while Temple offers a wide range of research opportunities for undergraduate students.

5. Which program is better for those interested in pursuing a graduate degree in physics?

Both TCNJ and Temple have strong physics programs that can prepare students for graduate studies. TCNJ's program may be more suitable for students who prefer a smaller, close-knit community, while Temple's program may be a better fit for those seeking a larger, research-focused environment.