Termite Pheromone Trail: Bic Pen Attraction Discovery

• Thread starter kenny87
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a project on pheromones and the termite pheromone trail. The person is looking for information on the discovery of Bic pen attraction and asks for help finding this information. The suggested methods include searching science reference indices at the library and using keywords for a web search. The conversation also mentions specific termite pheromones found in pen ink and suggests finding articles at the library for more information.
kenny87
Hi!

I'm doing a project about pheromones in which I talk about the termite pheromone trail and the reasons that they follow ink from some ballpoint pens. I've been trying to figure out who was credited with the Bic pen "attraction" and how/why it was discovered. If anyone has any idea as to where to find this information, that would be awesome! I have looked all over the internet. Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
I take it you have exhausted searching the science reference indices at your library? :rolleyes: If you haven't that is the best place to look.

For a web search try using key words like: termite and "pen ink". Here's one of my first hits (follow hyperlink). You will find termite pheromones: dodecatrienyl-(stearate, oleate and linoleate ), (Z,Z,E)-3,6,8-Dodecatrien-1-ol, 4-Phenyl-cis-3-buten-1-ol,2-phenoxyethanol and Heneicosane, for starters. One of those is a common component of pen ink. From the link I gave above, you will see at least one paper describing pen ink and termites. Then go hunt down your articles at the library. If it is a college library they may have subscriptions to those journals, if not you should be able to order the papers from the reference desk.

Last edited:

Hi there,

It's great that you're researching the termite pheromone trail and its attraction to Bic pens for your project. The discovery of this phenomenon is credited to Dr. David Bignell, a biologist at the University of London, who conducted experiments in the 1980s to understand termite behavior.

In his experiments, Dr. Bignell found that termites were attracted to the ink in Bic pens because it contains a chemical called cellulose acetate, which is similar to the pheromones released by termites to communicate with each other. This discovery was significant because it helped researchers understand why termites follow a specific trail and how they communicate with each other.

Dr. Bignell's research was published in the journal Nature in 1981, and it has since been cited in numerous studies on termite behavior. The discovery of the termite's attraction to Bic pens has also led to further research on how pheromones can be used for pest control and understanding insect behavior.

I hope this information helps with your project. Best of luck!

Related to Termite Pheromone Trail: Bic Pen Attraction Discovery

1. What is a termite pheromone trail?

A termite pheromone trail is a chemical trail left by termites to guide other termites to a food source or a potential new colony location. Pheromones are chemicals released by an animal to communicate with others of the same species.

2. How was the bic pen attraction discovery made?

The bic pen attraction discovery was made by scientists observing the behavior of termites in a laboratory setting. They noticed that termites were attracted to the ink in bic pens and further research revealed that the ink contained a chemical called beta-pinene, which mimics the pheromone trail left by termites.

3. Why are termites attracted to bic pens?

Termites are attracted to bic pens because the ink contains a chemical that mimics the pheromone trail left by termites. This chemical, beta-pinene, is found in many types of wood and is used by termites to communicate with each other.

4. How can the bic pen attraction discovery be used for termite control?

The bic pen attraction discovery can be used for termite control by creating a bait system that uses the chemical beta-pinene to attract termites. This can be used to lure termites away from infested areas and into a controlled environment where they can be eliminated.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using the bic pen attraction discovery for termite control?

One potential drawback of using the bic pen attraction discovery for termite control is the possibility of attracting termites from neighboring properties. This could result in an increase in termite activity in the area. Additionally, there may be concerns about the environmental impact of using the chemical beta-pinene in large quantities for termite control.