Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter OlderDan
  • Start date
In summary: I guess I'd better leave one message here so I don't keep creating new threads. I can't see any LaTeX in preview mode, so I need a place to actually post a message to see if the code is good. You're not alone. There's been that LaTeX problem here for a few months now...speaking of which: long time, no see! Welcome back. Thanks. I got real busy there for some time. I may be here in spurts. Don't know for sure. Now I can't even get the thing to display when I post the message grrrrrrrrrrrr! Adding a title Why not just leave the final equations here, as examples for other people to learn from? At least if
OlderDan
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I guess I'd better leave one message here so I don't keep creating new threads. I can't see any LaTeX in preview mode, so I need a place to actually post a message to see if the code is good. I will add and delete messages to this thread for that purpose.

Physics news on Phys.org
OlderDan said:
I guess I'd better leave one message here so I don't keep creating new threads. I can't see any LaTeX in preview mode, so I need a place to actually post a message to see if the code is good.
You're not alone. There's been that LaTeX problem here for a few months now...speaking of which: long time, no see! Welcome back.

Gokul43201 said:
You're not alone. There's been that LaTeX problem here for a few months now...speaking of which: long time, no see! Welcome back.
Thanks. I got real busy there for some time. I may be here in spurts. Don't know for sure.

Now I can't even get the thing to display when I post the message grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Adding a title

Why not just leave the final equations here, as examples for other people to learn from? At least if you're testing some new technique; you can add a title or note describing it, if you get it to work.

Or can you add a title to a previously-posted message? Let's see... Aha, you can, if you "Go Advanced" when editing.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Why not just leave the final equations here, as examples for other people to learn from? At least if you're testing some new technique; you can add a title or note describing it, if you get it to work.

Or can you add a title to a previously-posted message? Let's see... Aha, you can, if you "Go Advanced" when editing.
I could do that. The ones that have worked have been posted in context. The stuff I was doing here was just checking the LaTeX, so it had no discussion to go with it.

Here's the one I was working on last night that I could not get to view even here. Let's see if it works

[tex]
c \tau ' = \sqrt {l^2 \sin ^2 \theta + \left( {\frac{{l\cos \theta }}{\gamma } - v\tau '} \right)^2 }
[/tex]

[tex]
c^2 \tau '^2 = l^2 \left( {1 - \cos ^2 \theta } \right) + \frac{{l^2 \cos ^2 \theta }}{{\gamma ^2 }} - 2\frac{{l\cos \theta }}{\gamma }v\tau ' + v^2 \tau '^2
[/tex]

[tex]
c^2 \tau '^2 = l^2 \left( {1 - \cos ^2 \theta + \frac{{\cos ^2 \theta }}{{\gamma ^2 }}} \right) - 2\frac{{l\cos \theta }}{\gamma }v\tau ' + v^2 \tau '^2
[/tex]

[tex]
0 = \left( {c^2 - v^2 } \right)\tau '^2 + 2\frac{{l\cos \theta }}{\gamma }v\tau ' - l^2 \left( {1 - \cos ^2 \theta \left( {1 - \frac{1}{{\gamma ^2 }}} \right)} \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
0 = \left( {1 - \beta ^2 } \right)c^2 \tau '^2 + 2\frac{{l\cos \theta }}{\gamma }\beta c\tau ' - l^2 \left( {1 - \beta ^2 \cos ^2 \theta } \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
0 = \frac{{c^2 \tau '^2 }}{{\gamma ^2 }} + 2l\beta \cos \theta \frac{{c\tau '}}{\gamma } - l^2 \left( {1 - \beta ^2 \cos ^2 \theta } \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{{c\tau '}}{\gamma } = \frac{{ - 2l\beta \cos \theta \pm \sqrt {\left( {2l\beta \cos \theta } \right)^2 + 4l^2 \left( {1 - \beta ^2 \cos ^2 \theta } \right)} }}{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{{c\tau '}}{\gamma } = - l\beta \cos \theta \pm l\sqrt {\beta ^2 \cos ^2 \theta + 1 - \beta ^2 \cos ^2 \theta }
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{{c\tau '}}{\gamma } = - l\beta \cos \theta \pm l = l - l\beta \cos \theta = l\left( {1 - \beta \cos \theta } \right)
[/tex]

[tex]
\tau ' = \left( {1 - \beta \cos \theta } \right)\gamma \frac{l}{c}
[/tex]

OK I think I can make this work now.

Last edited:
[tex]\ddot{\psi} + \omega_0 ^2 \psi = 0[/tex]

Last edited:
kcirick said:
Well, the question says specifically to use the Lagrange Equation. My problem is I don't know what to integrate and what I'm integrating over. Also, I'm assuming I have to use either one of these relations:

[tex] \Gamma\left(p\right)=\int^{\infty}_{0}x^{p-1}e^{-x}dx [/tex]

or

[tex] \Gamma\left(p+1\right) = p\Gamma\left(p\right) [/tex]
I think there is another form that will help you. See

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/GammaFunction.html

equation (5)

or

http://numbers.computation.free.fr/Constants/Miscellaneous/gammaFunction.html

equation (1)

Your equation

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}m\dot{x}=-\frac{m}{2x}[/tex]

can be integrated by separating variables

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt}=-\frac{1}{2x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dx}=-\frac{1}{2x}[/tex]

[tex]vdv =-\frac{dx}{2x}[/tex]

[itex]\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)[/itex]

Last edited:
[tex] ma = \frac{m}{L}g\left[ {y - \left( {L - y} \right)} \right] = mg\left( {\frac{{2y - L}}{L}} \right) [/tex]

[tex] a = g\left( {\frac{{2y - L}}{L}} \right) [/tex]

[tex] v\frac{{dv}}{{dy}} = g\left( {\frac{{2y - L}}{L}} \right) [/tex]

[tex] vdv = g\left( {\frac{{2y}}{L} - 1} \right)dy [/tex]

[tex] \frac{{v^2 }}{2} = g\left( {\frac{{y^2 }}{L} - y} \right) + C [/tex]

[tex] C = g\left( {y_o - \frac{{y_o ^2 }}{L}} \right)[/tex] where [itex] v [/itex] is zero at [itex] y_o [/itex]

[tex] v^2 = 2g\left( {\frac{{y^2 }}{L} - y + y_o - \frac{{y_o ^2 }}{L}} \right)[/tex] for any [itex] y [/itex] starting from rest at [itex] y_o [/itex]

[tex] v^2 = 2g\left( {\frac{{y^2 }}{L} - y + \frac{L}{4}} \right) [/tex] if [itex] y_o = \frac{L}{2} [/itex]

[tex] v_L ^2 = 2g\left( {y_o - \frac{{y_o ^2 }}{L}} \right) = 2gy_o \left( {1 - \frac{{y_o }}{L}} \right) [/tex] when [itex] y = L [/itex]

[tex] v_{\max } ^2 = g\frac{L}{2}[/tex] when [itex] y_o = \frac{L}{2} [/itex] and [itex] y = L[/itex]

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
You guys realize that we have an existing thread dedicated to practicing Latex? https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997"

Yes, welcome back OlderDan!
I didn't realize that other area was available for this sort of thing. I can do things over there if that is preferred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg has since, locked the LaTeX typesetting thread. It was recommended in the thread, to delete our work after getting our LaTeX formatted. But a lot of folks left their work posted. Actually after seeing some of the more exotic (1, 2, and 3 ) LaTeX posts, I am glad those were left. Greg recommends using this http://at.org/~cola/tex2img/index.php from now on, to practise typesetting.

Ouabache said:
Greg has since, locked the LaTeX typesetting thread. It was recommended in the thread, to delete our work after getting our LaTeX formatted. But a lot of folks left their work posted. Actually after seeing some of the more exotic (1, 2, and 3 ) LaTeX posts, I am glad those were left. Greg recommends using this http://at.org/~cola/tex2img/index.php from now on, to practise typesetting.

Hmmm. The converter didn't work for me. Gave me an error for this:

[tex]\gamma^2 = \pi R^2 \Xi[/tex]

berkeman said:
Hmmm. The converter didn't work for me. Gave me an error for this:

Did you tick the "math mode" box at the bottom left? It didn't work for me until i noticed that!

cristo said:
Did you tick the "math mode" box at the bottom left? It didn't work for me until i noticed that!

Hah! That fixed it. Thanks cristo!

Related to Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester

1. What is "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester"?

"Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester" is a tool used to test and preview LaTeX code before it is compiled into a document. It allows users to see how their code will look and make any necessary changes before generating a final document.

2. How do I use "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester"?

To use "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester", simply enter your LaTeX code into the designated input area and click the "Run" button. The output will be displayed in the designated output area, allowing you to see how your code will appear when compiled.

3. Can I save my code in "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester"?

No, "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester" does not have a save function. It is meant for testing and previewing code only. Once you are satisfied with your code, you can copy and paste it into a separate document for saving.

4. Are there any limitations to "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester"?

Yes, "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester" has some limitations. It may not support all LaTeX packages and may not accurately display more complex formatting. It is best used for simple code testing and previewing.

5. Is "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester" free to use?

Yes, "Test LaTeX Code | LaTeX Tester" is a free tool and does not require any registration or payment. It is available for anyone to use for testing and previewing LaTeX code.