The induced current in transformer

In summary: This means that I1 is the driving current, while I2 is the induced current in the secondary coil. This is reflected in the formula I2/I1 = N1/N2, where N1 is the number of turns in the primary coil and N2 is the number of turns in the secondary coil. This formula holds true for an ideal transformer, where there are no losses and a 1:1 turns ratio. In real life, a well-designed transformer can achieve up to 98% efficiency. However, for this formula to be accurate, there must be a non-inductive source, as the induced current in the primary coil can affect the current in the secondary coil. In summary, the formula I2/I1 = N1
amjad-sh
Hello, I know that in ideal transformer the law I2/I1 = N1 /N2
I know that I2 is the induced current in the secondary coil, so I1 is the induced current in the primary coil or the current generated from the generator??
where N1 is the number of turns in the primary coil.
and N2 is the number of turns in the secondary coil.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 456
Engineering news on Phys.org
we don't usually say that current is induced in the primary coil as it is the " driving" coil.The current that runs through it back and forth from a power supply is the reason why a current is induced in the secondary via the core.

In an ideal transformer assuming no losses and a 1:1 turns ratio the secondary current should be just as much as the primary or in other words no energy lost in transformation of voltage/current.

In real life a good designed transformer built from premium quality material can achieve pretty close to ideal some up to 98% efficiency.I think that is as close as you can get to a perfect apparatus.

Out of the source (which drives I1's current) there should be a current lag on the voltage if it is via induction i.e. generator source and not corrected via capacitors since voltage lags current. Why isn't this reflected in the formula you present (just a theoretical question give your question)? Opposite of current lag is using capacitors to correct the lag (according to my understanding). Without such correction the "amps" would be affected by such phase anomolies. So for this formula to be correct, there must be a non-inductive (low impedance) source. Am I close there guys?

Crazymechanic said:
we don't usually say that current is induced in the primary coil as it is the " driving" coil.The current that runs through it back and forth from a power supply is the reason why a current is induced in the secondary via the core.
Ok, but in reality there is an induced current in primary coil since the magnatic field in the primary coil will induce a current in it because there is an alternating current from the source(changing magnetic flux ).
Take for example N1=N2 then I1=I2, I2 is the induced current in the secondary coil and in textbooks they wright that I1 is the current from the source, but then the induced current in the primary coil will be equal to I1!

rp55 said:
So for this formula to be correct, there must be a non-inductive (low impedance) source. Am I close there guys?
You mean that this formula in ideal transformer does not apply?

the difference is that the primary is directly connected to the source so it acts like one big system starting from the closest transformer down the wires in your house to the transformer primary.
The secondary gets it's voltage induced from the magnetic flux in the core which in turn gets induced from the primary current.

ok, suppose that there is a circuit consisting of a coil connected to a battery, and the coil is in series with a lamp the lamp will delay to shine since phenomena of self electromagnetic induction will happens(you know that the current will increase from zero to I so magnetic flux will increase and emf will be created to oppose the rate of change and so and induced current will be created).
Now in transformer the same thing happens when the alternating source is in the phase of increasing from zero to maximum (in the circuit of primary coil ).
So according to this there is an induced current in the primary.
It is a little bit confusing !

it's not that the current itself directly opposes itself , it's that as a consequence of a non static amplitude and time varying current induces a non static also amplitude and time varying magnetic field and that field opposes the original current.Also a changing magnetic field induces a current.
Or in this case tried to push back on the original current that created it.

ok , then the reason that I2/I1=N1/N2 is p1=p1 ?
i get it about U2/U1=N2/N1 but for for currents no :(
if you can do to me a derivation or explain it ...

The flow of current in the primary coil induces emf, and not vice versa.
Therefore, I1 is the current produced by the generator.

Related to The induced current in transformer

1. What is induced current in a transformer?

The induced current in a transformer is a flow of electric charge that is created by the changing magnetic field within the transformer. It is caused by the principle of electromagnetic induction, which states that a changing magnetic field can create an electric current in a conductor.

2. How is induced current generated in a transformer?

Induced current is generated in a transformer when the magnetic field produced by the primary coil changes, either due to a change in the current flowing through the coil or a change in the number of turns in the coil. This changing magnetic field then induces a current in the secondary coil through mutual induction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced current in a transformer?

The magnitude of induced current in a transformer is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils, the frequency of the alternating current, and the magnetic permeability of the core material. The strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the coils also play a role.

4. How does the induced current in a transformer affect the efficiency of the device?

The induced current in a transformer is responsible for the transfer of energy from the primary to the secondary circuit. As such, it plays a crucial role in the efficiency of the device. A larger induced current can result in higher losses due to resistance and eddy currents, leading to a decrease in efficiency.

5. Can induced current be controlled in a transformer?

Yes, the magnitude of induced current can be controlled in a transformer by adjusting the properties of the coils and the core material. By changing the number of turns in the coils or the frequency of the alternating current, the strength of the induced current can be altered. Additionally, using materials with higher magnetic permeability can help minimize losses and control the induced current.