Thevenin equivalent of a half-wave rectifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of reducing a half-wave rectifier into a Thevenin circuit with a DC equivalent voltage. There is confusion about the equivalent voltage, as the circuit does not produce a steady DC current. The output impedance and loading are also mentioned, with the general consensus being that a Thevenin equivalent circuit is not necessary. The importance of understanding the theory behind circuits is emphasized.
freemind
[SOLVED] Thevenin equivalent of a half-wave rectifier

Hello folks,

I'm trying to wrap my head around the process of reducing a half-wave rectifier (w/ filter) with an AC input into a simple Thevenin circuit with a DC equivalent voltage. My brain seems to be stuck in "but the input is not DC!" mode. What would the equivalent voltage be? I'm thinking it's the mean voltage across the load (assuming an ideal diode, with 0 resistance), but I don't see why it can't be RMS. The output impedance is not as tricky a concept, as it's simply the impedance of the capacitor, but the Thevenin voltage is giving me grief.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't quite imagine what exactly your circuit looks like. If your caps are filtering does that mean you are choking the input? or is it just a resevoir cap at the end of the DC input?

Either way I think I understand your confusion. A half wave rectifier crapily converts AC to DC as in it only allows positive voltages. A half wave rectifier doesn't produce a steady DC current, which is what you must be imagining. If the circuit is just an AC source, a diode, and a capacitor it might actually just be a primitive steady voltage source, with the capacitor discharging from peak to peak.

Last edited:
elhinnaw, your guess was right on. My apologies for not being clear.
Yes, the sole capacitor would be connected in parallel to any given resistive load, but even with insanely high capacitance (and resistance), the voltage still would not be steady enough to warrant an approximation with a single DC source. However, my TA has told me to take the mean voltage across the load over one cycle to be the equivalent Thevenin voltage[1]. I don't understand why, but I'll do it anyway if he says so. I mean, isn't the voltage ripple affected by the load resistance?

Thanks a ton for your reply though.

[1] That sure is one tedious series of integrations.

A few things to remember from my experience with electronic texts:

DC just means always positive voltage.

Thevenin equivelent circuits are useless.

In the field of electronic engineering, I could be so wrong its laughable, In my experience with electronics, a Thevenin equivelent never been needed. When I need to break down a circuit I did it through my own logical ideas.

As far as your loading question goes, in theory every resistive load affects the voltage source. Its what's called "loading." But standard practice from what I learned is anything less than 1%-10% loading is considered acceptable.

The fancy part of circuit design (or being an EE) is that you can design circuits that can have a huge fanout. The circuit in this case does not have a good fanout, which is why you will never see that circuit in use.

I think its kind of a stupid question to assign, personally. Its much more important to know the theory behind what's going on.

Thanks for the insight! It's much clearer now.

Related to Thevenin equivalent of a half-wave rectifier

1. What is the Thevenin equivalent of a half-wave rectifier?

The Thevenin equivalent of a half-wave rectifier is a single voltage source in series with a single resistor. This equivalent circuit can be used to simplify the analysis of the half-wave rectifier circuit and determine the output voltage and current.

2. How is the Thevenin equivalent voltage calculated for a half-wave rectifier?

The Thevenin equivalent voltage is calculated by finding the open circuit voltage of the half-wave rectifier. This can be done by removing the load resistor and calculating the voltage at the output terminals. This voltage is equal to the Thevenin equivalent voltage.

3. What is the purpose of using the Thevenin equivalent for a half-wave rectifier?

The Thevenin equivalent is used to simplify the analysis of the half-wave rectifier circuit. It allows for easier calculation of the output voltage and current, and can also help in determining the optimal load resistance for maximum power transfer.

4. How is the Thevenin equivalent resistance calculated for a half-wave rectifier?

The Thevenin equivalent resistance is calculated by finding the equivalent resistance seen from the output terminals with all voltage sources turned off. This can be done by shorting the output terminals and calculating the equivalent resistance at the input terminals.

5. Can the Thevenin equivalent be used for other types of rectifiers?

Yes, the Thevenin equivalent can be used for other types of rectifiers such as full-wave rectifiers and bridge rectifiers. However, the calculation of the equivalent voltage and resistance may differ depending on the specific circuit configuration.