Understanding the Reduction of Order Method for Solving LODEs

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with understanding a step in solving a LODE. The solution involves using the product rule and results in the expression y''(x)=2v'(x)+xv''(x), with the 2 coming from the product rule. The issue is resolved and the conversation ends with gratitude.
Carla1985
Hi, I'm practicing some of the methods for solving LODE's for my exam tomorrow afternoon and am struggling to understand one of the steps, I'm hoping someone will be able to explain it for me :)

So I have the equation

$(x-1)y''-xy+y=0$

with x being a solution. Then:

$y(x)=xv(t)$
$y'(x)=v(t)+xv'(x)$
$y''(x)=2v'(x)+xv''(x)$

I don't see where the 2 is coming from in the last line as my previous understanding of it was that:

$y''=x''v(x)+x'v'(x)+xv(x)$

so I thought it would just be one v'(x) with the v(x) disappearing?

Thanks
Carla

Physics news on Phys.org
Carla1985 said:
Hi, I'm practicing some of the methods for solving LODE's for my exam tomorrow afternoon and am struggling to understand one of the steps, I'm hoping someone will be able to explain it for me :)

So I have the equation

$(x-1)y''-xy+y=0$

with x being a solution. Then:

$y(x)=xv(t)$
$y'(x)=v(t)+xv'(x)$
$y''(x)=2v'(x)+xv''(x)$

I don't see where the 2 is coming from in the last line as my previous understanding of it was that:

$y''=x''v(x)+x'v'(x)+xv(x)$

so I thought it would just be one v'(x) with the v(x) disappearing?

Thanks
Carla

I assume the ODE is actually:

$(x-1)y''-xy'+y=0$

However, that is just an aside. You have assumed:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=xv(t)\)

Using the product rule we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y'(x)=xv'(x)+v(x)\)

Now, using the product rule again, we find:

\(\displaystyle y''(x)=xv''(x)+v'(x)+v'(x)=xv''(x)+2v'(x)\)

Aaaah I see. That makes perfect sense now. Thank you ever so much :)

Related to Understanding the Reduction of Order Method for Solving LODEs

What is the "reduction of order method"?

The reduction of order method is a mathematical technique used to solve second-order linear differential equations. It involves reducing a higher-order differential equation to a first-order equation by introducing a new variable.

When is the reduction of order method used?

The reduction of order method is typically used when one solution to a differential equation is already known. This method allows for the determination of a second linearly independent solution.

What are the steps involved in the reduction of order method?

The steps involved in the reduction of order method are: 1) Assume a second solution in the form of a power series; 2) Substitute this solution into the original differential equation; 3) Use the known solution to eliminate the highest derivative term; 4) Solve the resulting first-order equation for the new variable; 5) Use the original substitution to find the second solution.

What are the advantages of using the reduction of order method?

The reduction of order method is advantageous because it allows for the solution of a higher-order differential equation with known initial conditions. It also provides a general method for finding a second linearly independent solution, which can be useful in various applications.

Are there any limitations to the reduction of order method?

Yes, the reduction of order method can only be used for second-order linear differential equations with known solutions. It is not applicable to higher-order equations or equations with non-linear terms. Additionally, the method may not always yield a solution for certain types of differential equations.