Unveiling Emergent Spacetime for the Layman

In summary, a science journalist is looking for popular accounts of the phenomenon of smooth spacetime being an emergent property in string theory. Some helpful links and information have been provided, including a review paper and a poster on D-geometry and the emergence of spacetime in M(atrix) theory.
Urs Schreiber
I am currently talking to a science journalist who writes about quantum
gravity related matters for a major german popular science magazine. He
would like to see good popular accounts of the phenomenon that smooth
spacetime is not an 'a priori' in string theory but an emergent property. I
have provided him with some links and information here:

http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/string/archives/000330.html#c000878

But if anyone knows further and/or better material I'd be grateful for links
to texts that are not overly technical but appeal to the 'educated layman'.

Physics news on Phys.org
"Urs Schreiber" <Urs.Schreiber@uni-essen.de> schrieb:

> But if anyone knows further and/or better material I'd be grateful for links
> to texts that are not overly technical but appeal to the 'educated layman'.

I have received private answers by Phil Gibbs, who pinted me to his old
review paper

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9506171 ,

as well as by Robert Helling, who has put a very nice poster on his work on
'D-geometry' and the emergence of spacetime in M(atrix) theory on his

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/rch47/schloessmann.html .

Thanks for these links!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you for sharing this fascinating topic with us. As a science journalist, I am always on the lookout for new and interesting concepts to explore and explain to my readers. The idea that spacetime may be an emergent property in string theory is certainly one that captures the imagination.

I appreciate the links and information you have provided, and I will definitely look into them further. However, if anyone knows of additional material that may be helpful in explaining this concept to a lay audience, I would greatly appreciate it. As a science journalist, my goal is to make complex ideas accessible to a broader audience, so any resources that can aid in achieving that goal would be invaluable.

I believe that this topic has the potential to not only educate and engage the general public, but also to spark curiosity and interest in the field of quantum gravity. I look forward to exploring this topic further and sharing it with my readers. Thank you again for bringing it to my attention.

Related to Unveiling Emergent Spacetime for the Layman

1. What is "Unveiling Emergent Spacetime" about?

"Unveiling Emergent Spacetime" is a guidebook that explains the concept of emergent spacetime in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. It covers the basics of spacetime and how it emerges from the underlying structure of the universe, as well as its implications for our understanding of the universe.

2. What is emergent spacetime?

Emergent spacetime is the idea that the fabric of the universe, known as spacetime, is not fundamental but rather emerges from the interactions of more basic components. It is an important concept in modern physics and has implications for our understanding of gravity, black holes, and the origins of the universe.

3. Who is the target audience for this guidebook?

The target audience for "Unveiling Emergent Spacetime" is laypeople who are interested in learning about modern physics and the concept of spacetime. It is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists, but it also includes enough depth and detail to be informative for those with some background in physics.

4. What are some real-world applications of emergent spacetime?

Emergent spacetime has many potential applications, including in the fields of quantum gravity, cosmology, and particle physics. It also has implications for technology, such as in the development of new materials and energy sources. Additionally, understanding emergent spacetime may lead to breakthroughs in our understanding of the origins of the universe.

5. Why is it important for the layperson to understand emergent spacetime?

Understanding emergent spacetime can help us better comprehend the fundamental nature of the universe and our place in it. It also has practical applications, as mentioned before, and may lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe. Additionally, gaining a basic understanding of emergent spacetime can help bridge the gap between science and the general public, promoting scientific literacy and critical thinking.