Vacuous "If then" statements: Can you use direct proofs?

• Thread starter HyperActive
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary: If P and Q are two propositions and P is true, then Q is also true." In summary, the direct proof is valid when P is true. However, proving that a direct proof is valid is more complicated than just stating that it is valid.
HyperActive
Hi,
I'm comfortable using a direct proof to prove ##P → Q## type statements when I have a ##P## that is either always true (e.g ##x=x##) or can be true (e.g. ##x > 3##).

But what about when ##P## is definitely false, (e.g. ##x \neq x##), or definitely false in relation to an earlier statement (e.g. If we've already been given the fact that we're dealing with a group G, and ##P## is the statement "there does not exist an identity element in G")? Can you use direct proof then? By direct proof I mean proving the statement by assuming ##P## is true, then showing through legal logical inferences that ##Q## must be true as well.

I hope that's made sense. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The logical principles that deal with quantifiers such as "for each " and "there exists" is more complicated than the logic that deals with unquantified statements. Dealing with the logic of quantifiers employs a variety of rules such as "universal generaiization" and "universal instantiation". You say you are familiar with the logic involved in showing [itex] P \rightarrow Q [/itex], but you mention a case involving the quantifier "there exists". The proof might not actually be as simple saying that an implication is vacuously true. Give a specific example of what you want to prove.

What's unclear to me is the "scope" of the quantifiers. For example, the case of

( for each x, P(x)) implies ( not ( for each y, Q(y)))

is different than the case

for each x, for each y ( P(x) implies (not Q(y)) )

Ok, I see. First of all, thank you for your response!
I understand that the proof might not just be as simple as saying it's vacuously true, but that's not necessarily how I'd like to prove these statements anyhow. Maybe I had better give some context for my question. In the math courses I've done, I've seen problems that go like this: "Assume P(x). Prove Q(x)." And I'd usually have a good strategy for proving whatever it is (although that strategy would be different in different cases, for instance as you say there'd be a difference depending on the quantifiers involved).

But now I'm faced with problems that go like this: "Prove that if P(x), then Q(x)". My question is basically this: Can I use the same proof strategy I would have used had the question been phrased in "Assume P(x). Prove Q(x)" format?

The only potential issue I can see with this is if P(x) is always false, because in both cases above P(x) is assumed to be true.

HyperActive said:
Can I use the same proof strategy I would have used had the question been phrased in "Assume P(x). Prove Q(x)" format?

If you are doing work for the average math instruction, you can. I think only a person who focuses on formal logic would see the distinction you are making. There is one "rule" of logic called modus ponens which says "Given P implies Q and given P is true, conclude Q is true". There is a different "rule" which says "Assume P. Derive Q by various rules. Conclude that P implies Q". I think you are asking if the second rule is applicable when P is false.

I don't know the technical answer to that. We need a logician!. The way I stated the rule, you can apply it when P is false. But instead of stating the rule as "Assume P..." , should I have said "P is (definitely) true. Q is derivable, therefore P implies Q"?

Stephen Tashi said:
There is a different "rule" which says "Assume P. Derive Q by various rules. Conclude that P implies Q". I think you are asking if the second rule is applicable when P is false.

Thank you! That's exactly what I'm asking, and that's a much clearer way to phrase it.
I guess we do need a logician...

HyperActive said:
Thank you! That's exactly what I'm asking, and that's a much clearer way to phrase it.
I guess we do need a logician...

I think what you're asking is this, for example:

If we assume that ##q \in \mathbb{Q}## and ##q^2 = 2## can we show that directly that ##q=0##

This is, of course, vacuously true, but finding a direct proof might be difficult.

Also, the last statement can be replaced with anything well-defined.

Yup, that's a good example.
You say that

PeroK said:
finding a direct proof might be difficult.
Let's say we found one. Would such a proof be valid? Is direct proof (assuming a statement is true, deriving another statement, and concluding that the first statement implies the second) valid with a first statement like q^2 =2?

Thanks!

HyperActive said:
Let's say we found one [proof of q=0 from the assumptions q ∈ Q and q2=2]. Would such a proof be valid? Is direct proof (assuming a statement is true, deriving another statement, and concluding that the first statement implies the second) valid with a first statement like q^2 =2?

Thanks!
Such a proof is certainly valid if the derivation is valid. If you prove P → Q by assuming P and deriving Q from this, and all steps in this derivation are valid, then you have proved P → Q. It does not matter if P happens to be true or not. Of course, if P is false, then P → Q is automatically true, but this does not disqualify the previous proof, whose result then conforms with this.

You can actually go further than this with a neat little trick. Assume [itex]P[/itex]. From this assumption derive [itex]Q[/itex]. Then go back and assume [itex]\neg P[/itex] and from this assumption derive [itex]Q[/itex]. In this case, instead of proving [itex]P \rightarrow Q[/itex], you've proven [itex]Q[/itex] unconditionally. Here's the reason:

In symbolic terms, you've proven that [itex](P \rightarrow Q) \wedge (\neg P \rightarrow Q)[/itex] is true. Since [itex]P[/itex] is always either true or not true, one of the members of the conjunction will automatically be true (i.e., if [itex]P[/itex] is true, then [itex]\neg P[/itex] is false and therefore [itex]\neg P \rightarrow Q[/itex] must be true. On the other hand, if [itex]\neg P[/itex] is true, then [itex]P \rightarrow Q[/itex] must be true for analogous reasons). Since you've already proven that the conjunction is true, this can only hold if each side of the conjunction is true. But if, e.g., [itex]P[/itex] is true (and therefore [itex]\neg P \rightarrow Q[/itex] is true), then the only way for the other side of the conjunction, [itex]P \rightarrow Q [/itex], to be true is if [itex]Q[/itex] is true unconditionally.

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Vacuous "If then" statements: Can you use direct proofs?

What is a vacuous "if then" statement?

A vacuous "if then" statement is a logical statement that follows the form "If P, then Q", where P is a false statement and Q is any statement. This type of statement is considered vacuous because it cannot be used to prove the truth of Q.

Can a vacuous "if then" statement be used as a direct proof?

Yes, a vacuous "if then" statement can be used as a direct proof. In a direct proof, we assume the antecedent (P) is true and show that the consequent (Q) must also be true. Since the antecedent is false, the statement becomes vacuous and does not affect the truth of the consequent. Therefore, the statement "If P, then Q" is considered true by default and can be used as a direct proof.

Why would someone use a vacuous "if then" statement in a direct proof?

A vacuous "if then" statement may be used in a direct proof when the antecedent (P) is known to be false and we still want to prove the truth of the consequent (Q). This can occur in situations where the antecedent is a contradiction or an impossible condition. In such cases, using a vacuous "if then" statement can simplify the proof and make it easier to follow.

Can a vacuous "if then" statement be used in all types of proofs?

No, a vacuous "if then" statement can only be used in direct proofs. In other types of proofs, such as proof by contradiction or proof by contrapositive, the antecedent must be assumed to be true in order to reach a contradiction or to prove the contrapositive statement. Therefore, a vacuous "if then" statement cannot be used in these types of proofs.

Are there any limitations to using a vacuous "if then" statement as a direct proof?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a vacuous "if then" statement as a direct proof. For example, if the statement "If P, then Q" is vacuous, it does not necessarily mean that the statement "If Q, then P" is also vacuous. In some cases, the truth of the antecedent may affect the truth of the consequent in a different way. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider the statement and its logical implications before using it as a direct proof.