Wave Equation PDE: Help Solve Test Problem

In summary, the given partial differential equation can be solved by using separation of variables and choosing specific constants to satisfy the boundary conditions. The additional term $1+x$ in the PDE can be eliminated by setting $u=v+ax^3+bx^2+cx+d$.
Hurry
Hi, I have a test tomorrow and I'd like you to guys help me please.

Solve the following:

$\begin{align*}
& {{u}_{tt}}={{u}_{xx}}+1+x,\text{ }0<x<1,\text{ }t>0. \\
& u(x,0)=\frac{1}{6}{{x}^{3}}-\frac{1}{2}{{x}^{2}}+\frac{1}{3},\text{ }{{u}_{t}}(x,0)=0,\text{ }0<x<1. \\
& {{u}_{x}}(0,t)=u(1,t)=0,\text{ }t>0.
\end{align*}$

I think it can be solved by using $u(x,t)=v(x,t)+a(x)$ and then applying D'Alembert later, does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you have boundary condition you'll want to use separation of variables. It you let

$u = v + ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d$

you can pick $a,b,c$ and $d$ such that the BC's are the same and the term $1+x$ in the PDE can be eliminated

Related to Wave Equation PDE: Help Solve Test Problem

1. What is the wave equation PDE?

The wave equation PDE is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves through a medium. It involves the second derivative of a function with respect to both space and time.

2. How is the wave equation PDE solved?

The wave equation PDE is typically solved using separation of variables, which involves breaking down the equation into simpler parts and solving each part separately. Other methods such as Fourier series and Laplace transforms can also be used.

3. What is a test problem for the wave equation PDE?

A test problem for the wave equation PDE is a specific scenario or problem that is used to test the accuracy and effectiveness of a solution method. This can involve setting certain initial conditions and boundary conditions and solving the PDE to see if the solution matches the expected behavior.

4. What are the key concepts related to the wave equation PDE?

Some key concepts related to the wave equation PDE include boundary conditions, initial conditions, superposition, and the wave equation itself. Understanding these concepts is crucial for effectively solving and interpreting solutions to the PDE.

5. How is the wave equation PDE used in real-world applications?

The wave equation PDE is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, and geology. It is used to model wave phenomena such as sound, light, and seismic waves, and is crucial for understanding and predicting how these waves behave in different scenarios.